Hamlin is a DAWG

Pete

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think he's the defensive version of Gabe Davis. He gets fans excited with flashes but ultimately the scheme is more responsible for success than the player. A wonderful #3 but a bit underwhelming as a starter. If we hand him the starting job next year I don't expect him to step up and replace Poyer's level of play. I would much rather just pay Poyer and know what I'm getting next year.

This is fairly interesting.

I wanted to type out a reply about Gabe Davis being more physically gifted and just less consistent, but then I looked up their RAS scores. Almost identical, with Hamlin actually scoring slightly higher. Both good size and first-10 yard 40s. Not much similar beyond that, other than relatively mediocre testing results (I'm certainly no testing fanatic; it doesn't ALL test out in the wash). 

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

I disagree with quite a few folks on this. He is a decent tackler and plays hard. But he is bad in coverage and lacks speed. Decent for a back up but do not see him as a future starter let alone star. I would love to be wrong on him. 

Probably what everyone said about poyer and Hyde before they came here 

8 hours ago, ngbills said:

I disagree with quite a few folks on this. He is a decent tackler and plays hard. But he is bad in coverage and lacks speed. Decent for a back up but do not see him as a future starter let alone star. I would love to be wrong on him. 

such a little guy.. great compete, but  looks like a high school player out there.. give me Poyer and Hyde

9 hours ago, gobills404 said:

you can really tell which people in this thread didn’t watch the second half of the video

Yep, video does a great job showing how scheme and talent matter. Hamlin had a few bad plays and Frazier had a few bad calls, overall Hamlin is showing tremendous progress and capable of allowing the Bills to not need to replace 2 safeties in the next couple of years. 

He’s been okay. They like to use him in run blitzes on early downs. I think he’ll be fine. He has a nose for the ball in the run game, but has had trouble at times finishing the play. 

He leaves a lot to be desired in the passing game, IMO. He is no Micah Hyde. I think with time, experience and continued coaching they could see him as a starter next year if things don’t work out with Poyer, or Micah does not make a full recovery 

He's had 8 starts this year.  Seems to have grown during that time.  Frazier said in his presser that in the beginning of the

year (when he had to start) he wouldn't even talk out on the field.  Now he is communicating quite well.

Definitely need more time to see how he develops but things are looking hopeful.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I can’t tell if he was taken by surprise by Cook’s speed which caused him to take a terrible angle and miss the diving tackle. Or if he didn’t want to take on a RB with a head full of steam and just made a business decision.

I wonder if could find instances of bad angles by Poyer and Hyde with all the long run TD's from last season?   No one is perfect, he has been good and brings some passion to the defense.

16 hours ago, blacklabel said:

He's definitely played better than many expected, I'm sure. I was mad for him on that bogus PI call yesterday. It was just good coverage with a great play to knock down the pass. Some dipschnitt ref a mile away calls foul, unknowingly confused by the monstrous bucket of beef farts from the bratwurst demolishing mongoloids in section 139 that has wafted up his snout and clouded his judgement. "Blargh, I'm confused! I can't see! What is happening?! I have no idea but I'm gonna throw my special yellow hanky. I call her Gladys. Fly, my sweet Gladys, fly!! Oh boy oh boy nothing gets Daddy Official's nipples harder than screwing a player out of a great play."

I hate the refs. What were we discussing again?

I thought it was PI. Soft PI, but PI. The thing is he didn't need to get his around Peoples-Jones's waist AT ALL, but he did it anyway. That's kinda playing in fear, as in, if the balls goes farther than I think and I don't hold him, he's likely to score. He made it an easy call for the ref despite being in position and doing everything else right. But the fear implicit in the waist grab did him in.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'm not sure at all that Hamlin has the cover skills needed to play the role that Frazier wants for the team defense concept. 

But he's not the weakness of the current defense.  The 3rd string CBs are what's letting other teams move the ball.  We really need White back for the late season and playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I'm not sure at all that Hamlin has the cover skills needed to play the role that Frazier wants for the team defense concept. 

But he's not the weakness of the current defense.  The 3rd string CBs are what's letting other teams move the ball.  We really need White back for the late season and playoffs. 

And Elam too for all of his flaws. He brings length and athleticism, and if can merely stay with guys like Jackson and Benford can, he WILL make plays that they can't. He's just a bigger, faster, and better athlete. He has certainly had his struggles, however. And he's still hurt.

16 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I can’t tell if he was taken by surprise by Cook’s speed which caused him to take a terrible angle and miss the diving tackle. Or if he didn’t want to take on a RB with a head full of steam and just made a business decision.

he should have dove at his legs--perhaps slows Cook down a step and enables the others to catch him.  Bad angle, bad effort on that play.   But overall, I'm a Hamlin fan.  

58 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Hamlin is becoming what I thought Jaquan Johnson was going to be for this team.

But either way it's assuring to know we have an NFL caliber starter since I still believe there's a good chance both Hyde and Poyer are not on this team next year.

if Hyde is gone, hopefully we use the money to keep Poyer.  The D is vastly diff w/o Poyer.  Or we need another vet.  Can't have Hamlin and a rookie, IMO.  

5 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I wonder if could find instances of bad angles by Poyer and Hyde with all the long run TD's from last season?   No one is perfect, he has been good and brings some passion to the defense.

At least on the long Henry run last year Poyer was in good position, but got majorly held.

You are right the safeties got burned on long runs last year too. I wonder if it is something that happens because of scheme.

11 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

At least on the long Henry run last year Poyer was in good position, but got majorly held.

You are right the safeties got burned on long runs last year too. I wonder if it is something that happens because of scheme.

There was a hold in the TItans game I think.  My point is we can find a play for anyone where they were not in the best position or took a bad angle but we should judge more on the totality of the work, not one play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Johnson has proven himself to be incapable of being a starting safety in the NFL, which is unfortunate. Actually…he’s not capable of backing up in the NFL. When an NFL player can’t get pursuit angles down it’s a major red flag. I hate it for him because I loved watching him at Miami. He was a tough MF’er and I thought it would translate to the league. We’ll see (of course) but my prediction is that he’s not brought back to the team next year. I mean, he’s a UDFA, I think, but I don’t think he’s anyone they want to bring back. He was replaced by a marginal pro talent, out of position, who was getting burned all game, in Cam Lewis. So, let’s hope one of the kids can work their way into the lineup in Hamlin. Sorry I turned this into a JJ disappointment response to DH, I’m

seeing a therapist about how disappointing Johnson’s been and she said it’s better to talk about it than to keep it locked up inside me. Then again, I probably shouldn’t call my “bingo buddy” my therapist. 

On 11/22/2022 at 2:23 AM, ProcessTruster said:

such a little guy.. great compete, but  looks like a high school player out there.. give me Poyer and Hyde

Waaat?

Damar Hamlin 6-0 200 lb

Jordan Poyer 6-0 191 lb

Micah Hyde 6-0 197 lb

C'mon man!

Maybe you're confusing him with Jaquan Johnson 5'10 191 or Cam Lewis 5'9" 185?

On 11/22/2022 at 4:32 PM, DapperCam said:

That is true, but Hyde took a poor angle

They happen  from time to time, nobody perfect.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.