Bills secret to offensive woes... play like 2020?

corta765

The last few weeks have brought the best out of Bills faithful in terms of frustration with the offense for a variety of factors. Once the Bills offense got going yesterday one thing that stood out to me was that the Bills offense reverted to playing a smarter simpler style yesterday. The last two seasons when the offense has hit its funk a portion of this reason was Josh hero balling too much, but a portion was the Bills playing overtly aggressive to the point it took points off the board.

The beauty of Josh in 2020 was the lack of turnovers and playing within himself to not cost the team the game just because he had the potential to put a dagger out there. If you take a look at 2020 weeks 5-8 the Bills went 2-2 (at TEN & KC losses) with the two wins being an all FG game against the Jets and a very tight 24-21 win of NE which Josh had 154 yards. The Titans game I always thought Josh played well and the team imploded around him and the KC game was a learning experience against your measuring stick. In the two games following the Bills win in uglier not beautiful fashions but you ended the seasons 13-3 and just said "oh cool what a great year". In the Jets game in 2020 the offense had redzone issues and went all FGs but Josh had no turnovers and threw 300 yds. Pats game week after just 157 yds in the air with on INT, but they ran for 190 and 2 TDs. The last two years we have had games with mistakes or turnovers where you played the if only game from coaching or Josh or the offensive coordinator.

Fast forward to now the Bills paid dearly for Josh going too hero ball (think both Jets INTs and final Vikings INT) and coaching not kicking a FG (Vikings game 1st Josh INT on 4th). The Bills offense is talented to a point they can truly score at will when healthy and moving. I get and love the attacking nature they have and it is super fun to watch. But yesterday I appreciated them running the ball and taking FGs to extend the lead so it didn't matter (minus Gabe Davis WTF was that onside kick). It killed me against MIN that they didn't kick the FG and then the INT resulted in the Vikings also gaining valuable yardage downfield. Jets game the INT early on was a killer because it didn't need to be thrown. It felt like yesterday the most important folks on the Bills took a needed step back to say "do what is needed to win even if it isn't the prettiest". You still scored 31 pts, Josh had a day it wasn't all on him, and once he got going on the final drive at the end of the 1st he was dialed in passing the rest of the day. Games like the Steelers/Rams when the offense is just bombing all over the field are great, but simple and easy is just as effective and something Dorsey and crew may have finally taking to heart yesterday.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.