Tre'Davious White - when will he be ready?

Deadstroke

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This is clearly a delicate situation.  From the player’s perspective, you don’t pay me more for coming back before I feel 100% and if I get hurt again you sure as hell aren’t compensating me for coming back before I felt completely ready.  

From the team perspective, we’re paying you a lot of money and every week you remain out it hurts our ultimate goal of getting home field advantage and winning a super bowl.  

At some point though, you’d hope a guy would get out there for his teammates especially with all the injuries in the secondary.  

Hit the nail on the head with this post. I do wonder if his timeline would be altered if sitting out meant losing money. I wonder if he’d ease himself back into the games rather than make himself an inactive. There’s no financial incentive for him to be back on the field, he’s getting paid regardless. I don’t mean this as an attack on him sitting, but money is a great motivator.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If he's at a point with his confidence (or lack thereof), that he looks at guys like Lewis and Rhodes (to say nothing of Benford and Jackson) and "knows" he's not currently at their level and believes he would be hurting the team, then I absolutely have zero issue with him relaying this to McDermott and asking to remain inactive.  There is no point in taking a spot on the gameday roster, if you have nothing positive to give.  But in McDermott's defense, he's got an entire roster to juggle going forward, so it's understandable that he's slowly nudging Tre towards a "s*&% or get off the pot" type of ultimatum.  We could be getting close to that point - my guess is the coaches start to really turn up the heat shortly after Tre has had a full month as an active practice participant, i.e., the Pats game.  Neither guy is really wrong and no one really deserves any blame, IMO.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bad Things said:

I find it really sad that so many fans can turn against one of our best players that's trying to come back from an injury.

For some of you, it should be "Bills Mob" instead of "Bills Mafia".

Soft.

I respect White, but I ain’t relying on him for anything until he actually suits up and plays.

Maybe if one or two of the guys playing can start to make some plays, Tre might feel some pressure to come back. As of now, it’s like the Keystone Cops back there. “Let’s just run around chasing guys until the whistle blows. And whatever you do, don’t turn your head to look for the ball. That’s just what they’ll expect you to do.”

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

If he's at a point with his confidence (or lack thereof), that he looks at guys like Lewis and Rhodes (to say nothing of Benford and Jackson) and "knows" he's not currently at their level and believes he would be hurting the team, then I absolutely have zero issue with him relaying this to McDermott and asking to remain inactive.  There is no point in taking a spot on the gameday roster, if you have nothing positive to give.  But in McDermott's defense, he's got an entire roster to juggle going forward, so it's understandable that he's slowly nudging Tre towards a "s*&% or get off the pot" type of ultimatum.  We could be getting close to that point - my guess is the coaches start to really turn the heat on shortly after Tre has had a full month as an active practice participant, i.e., the Pats game.  Neither guy is really wrong and no one really deserves any blame, IMO.

As good of points as any I've read.  I've wondered about getting him active and taking some snaps without putting pressure on him.

But then I thought of this.

Bills generally dress 4 CBs on gameday.  If Tre was CB4 he could get some snaps BUT if a CB went down, he would be needed

full time.  Dressing 5 CBs on gameday could fix that but it puts pressure on losing a player in another position.  So, if you're not willing

to go the 5 CB route, Tre needs to be sure he can play a full game.  I can give all this a little more time to work itself out.

FWIW.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Maybe if one or two of the guys playing can start to make some plays, Tre might feel some pressure to come back. As of now, it’s like the Keystone Cops back there. “Let’s just run around chasing guys until the whistle blows. And whatever you do, don’t turn your head to look for the ball. That’s just what they’ll expect you to do.”

I mean, if I’m Tre and I’m watching our secondary these last few games, I’m feeling more pressure to come back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I find it really sad that so many fans can turn against one of our best players that's trying to come back from an injury.

For some of you, it should be "Bills Mob" instead of "Bills Mafia".

Soft.

Then it's on the Bills Coaching Staff or Tre to just say what's really going on. 

All we have to go on are the facts.

He was PUP listed, activated off the PUP, practicing, cleared medically, and has been a healthy scratch for 3 games in a row now?

I have more questions about why he wasn't put on IR after being activated off PUP, to free up the roster spot. He clearly wasn't close for KC. Could have IR'd him for 4-6 weeks & brought him back when he was more prepared. People would be questioning Tre less. & We could have used the spot maybe to keep Hodgins or another player they liked. I assume he'll miss Thursday, if he's out against NE, really have to wonder at what point they just call it for this year.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

10 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I have more questions about why he wasn't put on IR to free up the roster spot. He clearly wasn't close for KC. Could have IR'd him for 4-6 weeks & brought him back when he was more prepared. People would be questioning Tre less. I assume he'll miss Thursday, if he's out against NE, really have to wonder at what point they just call it for this year.

Well, he was medically cleared (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), and I'm sure the staff figured, "he's 'healthy', so let's get him back into game shape sooner rather than later."  It's not as if these confidence issues might not still be there if we had started his active practice window 6 weeks later. In that scenario, we have precious little time to decide if he's a guy we can count on for the playoffs.  Yeah, things don't seem to be working out too great at the moment, but maybe that changes and maybe these extra few weeks of practice are just what Tre needs to get right both physically and mentally and we see him as an important contributor to a deep playoff run.

Edited by TheBrownBear

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Justin Jefferson - 10 receptions for 193 yards.  

Yet we wont the game until Josh Allen fumbled the game away 

57 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

He is a what? six year veteran pro bowler.  If he can't get ready after being cleared to play 3 or 4 weeks ago, is just might be mental.

Or he just isnt ready.  You aren't a doctor, nor have you examined him.  

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

No matter what anyone feels about the blame, it’s as simple as we need you…bad. Play or stop wasting the roster spot. Doesn’t matter who is right, doesn’t matter who is wrong. Get on the field or get off the roster so we can use the spot for someone else 

I agree.  The question is when does it become a necessity for the Coach/GM to level that ultimatum to White?  We are still on track for the playoffs and still control our destiny within the division.  I'm comfortable waiting through the Pats game (depending on the outcome of that game).