Tre'Davious White - when will he be ready?

Deadstroke

13 minutes ago, boyst said:

This is also likely but not a factor in any decisions the Bills are making 

Not a factor in any Bills’ decisions, but I think it’s easy to believe that OBJ is a factor in Tre’s decisions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I think you missed McD’s thoughts on this  from a few days ago. “At some point you just have to go.” I think the decision is entirely Tre’s and the organization has been supportive and in his corner up until this point. The longer this draws out, you start to see chinks in that support, especially with teammates playing under various ailments.

This was the turning point for me and my opinion on this. People need to consider that he will likely be worked in slowly when he comes back. He can start by playing less meaningful snaps. There was certainly opportunity for that on Sunday. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

“At some point we’ve got to go”

Puts the holdout squarely on White, not the organization, but does so in an understanding McD way.

I agree.

I think the most telling line was when Mcdermott said “if this is the level he feels he needs to be at…”

Having torn my acl (and MCL + meniscus) I get it. It took me a long time to feel comfortable with my knee again. I’m sure he’s thinking about his career, not just this season.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Cleared to play and ready to play are not remotely the same thing though.  He was cleared to return to practice sure.  But he still hasn’t played a down of football in a year.  He still has to get into game shape, he still has to test the injury and see how it’s responding, he still has to rebuild all the strength and ability to cut and change directions, etc etc.  

Sorry, no disrespect but he will be ready when he’s ready.  The absolute worst thing to do would be to rush him back into the game.  

And the reality is…we lost to Vikings because we fumbled the game away after the game was over.  We lost to Dolphins because Bass missed a FG, we lost to Jets because they hit their 50+ yard FG and we missed ours.

In other words, if not for the offense, we would be undefeated right now.  

Tre is not the problem.  For people to pile on someone not coming back sooner from a serious injury is not really fair to Tre.  

He is a what? six year veteran pro bowler.  If he can't get ready after being cleared to play 3 or 4 weeks ago, is just might be mental.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Agree with all of this minus the bolded.  We lost each of those games for various reasons….none more so than Josh throwing terrible interceptions (minny and nyj) and a terrible throw to dirty for a TD (Miami).  He’s our franchise and he failed in all 3 games.  

Once he got going he was something like 18-21 on his passing and we scored on 5 straight drives.

8 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

He is a what? six year veteran pro bowler.  If he can't get ready after being cleared to play 3 or 4 weeks ago, is just might be mental.

It is a mental hurdle that he needs to clear, but I think the only way to clear it is to get out there and play.

I've never been in his situation, and I'm sure everyone is different, but if it were me, I would want to get out there on the field and test it to help clear that mental hurdle.

if tre comes back and help leads this team to playoff wins, none of this will mean anything.  if he doesn't play this season, i have to imagine he may not play as a bill again.  my guess is that he may not feel that he's physically where he needs to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

He’s had three weeks to reincorporate as a practice participant after eleven months of what I’m sure was often a physically and mentally deleterious process. 

Not a long time, perhaps especially because he’s mentally reaching for the extremely high bar of performance expectation that he’s cleared throughout his career.

I have zero concern that there’s any ill intent for not playing. So I’m not concerned that he isn’t playing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ecmic82 said:

He’s had three weeks to reincorporate as a practice participant after eleven months of what I’m sure was often a physically and mentally deleterious process. 

Not a long time, perhaps especially because he’s mentally reaching for the extremely high bar of performance expectation that he’s cleared throughout his career.

I have zero concern that there’s any ill intent for not playing. So I’m not concerned that he isn’t playing.

this is exactly where i'm at with in as of now.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

You really don't know that.

It's possible that Tre looks bad in practice and is getting smoked, but that could entirely be a physical issue still.  There's a difference between physically healthy, and physically able to play NFL CB at a very high level.  The fact is we have had quite high level play from the combination of Jackson, Benford and Elam (albeit with rookie mistakes and miscues) most of the season.

You’re acting as those the idea of White not being able to cross a mental hurdle at this point is some kind of personal attack, White will give it a go when he feels ready or the team gives him an ultimatum.

No big deal, why some posters feel the need to defend the honour of a player who needs no defending is a little strange.

Mental illness or anything related to the mental aspect of injury recovery is a real thing, hope he plays this year, if not then oh well, next man up

This is clearly a delicate situation.  From the player’s perspective, you don’t pay me more for coming back before I feel 100% and if I get hurt again you sure as hell aren’t compensating me for coming back before I felt completely ready.  

From the team perspective, we’re paying you a lot of money and every week you remain out it hurts our ultimate goal of getting home field advantage and winning a super bowl.  

At some point though, you’d hope a guy would get out there for his teammates especially with all the injuries in the secondary.  

2 hours ago, Deadstroke said:

Hey, I'm a homer and been loving and defending my team for many years.  I'm usually always in a player's corner when he may be questioned for underperforming; but this thing with Tre has gone on too long.  The latest reports now have him fully healthy but perhaps not too confident of his health/current abilities. 

He's getting paid a ton of money and it's time to earn it now when the team really need him.  The pass defense is getting abused big time.  It's time for Tre to show up and help out.

News Flash! 

You don't know schitt.

1 minute ago, julian said:

You’re acting as those the idea of White not being able to cross a mental hurdle at this point is some kind of personal attack, White will give it a go when he feels ready or the team gives him an ultimatum.

No big deal, why some posters feel the need to defend the honour of a player who needs no defending is a little strange.

Mental illness or anything related to the mental aspect of injury recovery is a real thing, hope he plays this year, if not then oh well, next man up

OMG! Tre White is mentally ill. I read it right here!

that’s the last straw… we’re well and truly cursed.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m sure he’s thinking about his career, not just this season.

That's exactly it. And not just his career in terms of being worried about re-injuring it but also he doesn't want to go out and get burned by some second rate receiver he'd usually dominate. That's when the stuff starts being said about him being past his best etc. He's an all pro and wants to maintain his rep.

So long as we make the playoffs and he's back for them at full strength, that's the main thing for me even though I'd love to have him out there now

11 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

Once he got going he was something like 18-21 on his passing and we scored on 5 straight drives.

Yes….and he failed in those 3 games that we’re talking about.  Not sure why you would quote me on this