Poorly constructed roster

Niagara Dude

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

To be fair, most of us came into the season expecting the Bills to win the Super Bowl.  THIS YEAR.  

Anything less is going to be considered a massive disappointment and utter failure of a season.  Regardless of injuries or adversity.

I don’t agree with this at all. Maybe new fans or fans who haven’t been through the previous ups and downs feel that way. I don’t think most do at all.

Having been through more down years than up, I appreciate the opportunity for us to be a team that should compete for a SB but in no way do I expect it. Too many things have to go right for a team to make it a slam dunk expectation. Enjoy the ride for all that it is because it will come to an end. And if your ability to enjoy this team is dependent on them winning the Super Bowl you are going to miss out on a lot of good football experiences.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

What has been our record? 

And while we're at it? Where was a 7 time Super Bowl winning QB drafted? 

I'll even allow you to Google that. 

Really?  Are you kidding?  Anyone that can think for themselves can see where our struggles are. If you think for one second that we are even on par with our weapons from last year or the year before then I have no idea what to tell you. Your witty and snarky responses don’t make you right. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Really?  Are you kidding?  Anyone that can think for themselves can see where our struggles are. If you think for one second that we are even on par with our weapons from last year or the year before then I have no idea what to tell you. Your witty and snarky responses don’t make you right. 

I know I am right. And the season is FAR from over. AND I see what Gabe Davis did in the playoffs last year. 

Admit defeat

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

I know I am right. And the season is FAR from over. AND I see what Gabe Davis did in the playoffs last year. 

Admit defeat

Hahahahahhaha!!!!!  Davis has struggled this year with drops and bad routes and yoy are one of the ones that are holding onto one game from last year. Haha. I bet you thought Timmy smith was the real deal when he set a super bowl record for rushing yards too. Hahahaha!!!!!

47 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Hahahahahhaha!!!!!  Davis has struggled this year with drops and bad routes and yoy are one of the ones that are holding onto one game from last year. Haha. I bet you thought Timmy smith was the real deal when he set a super bowl record for rushing yards too. Hahahaha!!!!!

Have you had any good games for the Bills? I don't remember seeing your stat line 

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

I don’t agree with this at all. Maybe new fans or fans who haven’t been through the previous ups and downs feel that way. I don’t think most do at all.

Having been through more down years than up, I appreciate the opportunity for us to be a team that should compete for a SB but in no way do I expect it. Too many things have to go right for a team to make it a slam dunk expectation. Enjoy the ride for all that it is because it will come to an end. And if your ability to enjoy this team is dependent on them winning the Super Bowl you are going to miss out on a lot of good football experiences.

Its like all the bandwagon fans were like "Superbowl? I'm in!" and then we play against competitive teams in the competitive NFL and they are like "this ***** is lame, I'm out" and trash the team lmao.

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Gabe Davis has just as good of a stat line as the WR corp the OP is swooning over....

29 catches 612 yards 5 tds - Davis

46 catches 615 yards 2 tds - Smith-Schuster

27 catches 459 yards 1 td - Valdez-Scantling

He does need to stop dropping the ball but sheesh what a bad take.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

To be fair, most of us came into the season expecting the Bills to win the Super Bowl.  THIS YEAR.  

Anything less is going to be considered a massive disappointment and utter failure of a season.  Regardless of injuries or adversity.

Looking inferior to the team who has eliminated us two straight seasons SHOULD upset fans, and sound warning bells.

Just one month ago (at the bye), we were in the driver's seat for the #1 seed in the AFC.  Just defeated the Chiefs in Arrowhead.  Boasted the best record in the conference AND had tiebreakers over every other division winner.  In the course of only three games, the Bills managed to lose control of the #1 seed AND their own division.  The AFC East still seems winnable, since we still have another game against Miami.  But homefield in the playoffs already looks long-gone. 

Most of us aren't upset because we honestly feel the Bills stink or that they will miss the playoffs.  Most of us are upset, because this team is repeating the same pattern as in 2021.  Bad luck.  Blowing winnable games.  Losing to inferior teams.  Letting homefield slip away.  And it all culminating in another crushing playoff defeat in Kansas City.

100% right on the money.

We are all-in on trying to win a Super Bowl. 

Beane showed that understood the importance of game breaking WRs with the Diggs trade.

You have to pile them on. 

9 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

When do we get the moral gold standard parade, because we couldn't wait to ditch Cole. Retired or not there's no way we couldn't have got more out of Cole than we are McK. An offense he knew, had a rapport and chemistry with Josh. I'll never understand the ppl who were so excited to run our own Welker Jr out of town. 

Cole is washed. He took one snap for the Bucs where he tripped over his own feet on a screen pass, then promptly retired. When receivers start going downhill they slide right to the bottom. I would like to see more Shakir in the offense. Maybe he isn't performing well in practice or something but every time I watch him on the field he looks a lot more competent than McKenzie. There was one game where we made it a point to get him involved and since then he's been invisible. I don't get it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I totally agree with all this. We hedged our bets that Davis would take a huge step and he hasn’t been consistent enough to feel he can be our 2. McKenzie is awful. They didn’t do enough to surround Allen this off-season.  They need an offense heavy off-season to balance out this roster. 

I agree but who would guess that Davis wouldn’t be at least as good as last season? Also this staff is too cautious at times. Why not use Knox ala Kelce? Who needs McKenzie in the slot? Use Knox underneath. Also why not get Hines involved as a receiver? And Cook. I think the roster is fine the coaches need to go for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

We passed on DK 2.0 in Christian Watson, and George Pickens looked polished coming out of the draft.

Let's hold our horses on Watson. He has been constantly dinged up sincd training camp, and even when playing he often gets up slowly after getting tackled. All the talent in the world means nothing if you can't withstand NFL hits.

Pickens was known to be better than his draft position but he was coming off an ACL injury and had maturity issues at Georgia. If any team can handle a talented WR with maturity issues it's Pittsburgh. He went to the perfect spot.

1 minute ago, AlfaBill said:

I agree but who would guess that Davis wouldn’t be at least as good as last season? Also this staff is too cautious at times. Why not use Knox ala Kelce? Who needs McKenzie in the slot? Use Knox underneath. Also why not get Hines involved as a receiver? And Cook. I think the roster is fine the coaches need to go for it. 

Beckham would give the WR group a face lift and render all these depth players and gadget guys moot. 

11 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Beane needs to focus on offense this off-season. He needs to lock McD in a padded room and not allow him to be in his ear that he needs more defense. 

Well, I hate to say it but, if they don’t re-sign Edmunds, LB could be a top priority.

And that was my 5,000th post?!

Edited by BobbyC81

12 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I am starting to see roster that is poorly constructed and not enough quality depth at key positions. You watch KC who lost Hill and Mahomes still has numerous options at the WR position beyond just Kelce( they had two starters out and still did not miss a beat). We lost vets like Beasley and Sanders and assumed Davis would take another leap,  they then proceeded to go with mediocre guys after that.  

Davis cannot be trusted not to drop balls and McKENZIE looks like he cannot be trusted and accident waiting to happen. Even when Josh has time,  teams are just doubling Diggs and others are not creating enough separation.  How many times when teams played zone would we see Beasley find a sport in the zone for an easy pitch & catch in previous years. For a team that throws first,  the WR has become a weakness beyond Diggs.  On the other side of the ball the Bills are paying Matakevich 3.25 million for his special teams,  anyone recall any Steve Tasker level plays for this guy.  Or why is Taiwan Jones still on this team?  Both guy are making more then our 3rd LB Tyrel Dodson who looks terrible playing for injured Edmunds. It's a reason why even when team are running in down our throats we still have only 2 LB'S in the game.

We have zero quality depth at the LB position right now and are lucky Milano is healthy and playing like an all pro. How you spend your money is so important and using 4.3 mllion in cap space for Jones and Matakevich is costing us from having better quality depth at regular positions. Yes I believe that money could have been used to have a more competent 3rd receiver ( maybe even Beasley) or a starting level LB who you play on special teams.  Josh needs to be surrounded with better WR's  just like Mahomes has and our defence needs more than two starting level LB'S when teams start to just run the ball

I also believe Bills need to stop playing EJ. Epensa over Shaq Lawson,  this looks like Beane forcing Cody Ford on the field because he was a second rounder.  Epensa looks like a second bust but continues to play because of his draft status.  Lawson makes more big plays on far less opportunities 

Blah blah blah. Bad take, bad attitude,  bad fan. Totally bizarre 

• Haha (+1) 1

Not even going to read the OP. This is a Super Bowl roster. You cannot have starting caliber depth at every position, the reason the Chief have not dropped off a single bit from losing Hill is 90% Patrick Mahomes being amazing and 10% Andy Reid anticipating what defenses are going to do to try and beat them.

Before this season, without Tyreek Hill on the field, Mahomes was the second best passer by EPA per drop back in football. He’s simply that good.  

Every week, the same thread with a different name.   Same tired argument.  Not this week.  I refused to get sucked in.  It's Thanksgiving week.  A week to be thankful for our 7-3 team.  To be thankful for our league leading point differential.  This week I am thankful for our offense that is in the top 5, if not #1 in multiple categories.   This week, I am thankful for our Offense that still scores 30+ points on days where they are "off".   Nope...  not this week.  This week I am thankful.

• Vomit 1

Like every NFL roster, our has its shortcomings.  The one that disappoints me the most is OL.  These guys don't protect our QB well-enough and struggle to open holes in the running game (the recent success against Cleveland not withstanding).  

But we'd probably be 9-1 if not for injuries - most of our star defenders have missed significant time.  We'd probably be 10-0 if not for the Miami heat.  

If everyone suddenly got healthy, I'd like our chances for a SB run.  

I’ve read nothing in here that says Beane and Co got this offense to where it needs to be

Its worse.  

Too much money tied up on defense to make it better in 2023 also.  

The Defense is set and the secondary will only get better.  But will Edmonds be back?

Smart fans said this team needed another legit WR.  It needed a RB that could bail us out when Josh is off or has problems finding McKenzie bc Diggs is triple covered and defenses know the routes Davis is running.  

None of these issues gets easier to fix after this season.  

CMC looks awesome in SF.  But at least we have draft capital to use on another Boogie Basham.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.