Poorly constructed roster

Niagara Dude

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

The goal is to win a Super Bowl? When do we get the moral gold standard parade, because we couldn't wait to ditch Cole. Retired or not there's no way we couldn't have got more out of Cole than we are McK. An offense he knew, had a rapport and chemistry with Josh. I'll never understand the ppl who were so excited to run our own Welker Jr out of town. 

We passed on DK 2.0 in Christian Watson, and George Pickens looked polished coming out of the draft. It's unfortunate, I understand why we did what we did, but either one of these guys would've done more for us than Elam (no knock on him, I think he's going to be really good).

Next year's draft needs to be 75% offense, especially at the top of the board. Would love to see us move up to draft Jordan Addison. 

In 2022 NFL WRs are arguably the 2nd or 3rd most important position in football, and we throw more than almost everyone, so the cost is justified. Especially once you take into acct the price tag of trying to sign a FA. Would love to see us grab 2 WRs and an OL in the first few rounds. 

It's easier to stoke the fires on offense, than it is to pile picks on the defensive side. Def picks are already a diminished return investment in this league.

I was a big Beasley fan.  But physically he was pretty much done.  Guy got the most out of his career, and his time with the Bills.  But at his size you can only take so many hits.  (See Welker and Edelman)  Davis is a baller.  Not sure why everyone seems down on him.  He is not sudden in his movements and super athletic.  But he has good size, good hands and decent speed.  The guy is a solid NFL starting WR.  We could definitely use a 3rd solid WR.  I think Shakir needs to be given that chance.  What bothers me is why we let Hudgins go and kept Kumerow.  That seemed foolish.  McKenzie just seems to play in the clouds.  Not very football savvy.  Seems to have regressed the past two seasons.  But not going to write him off just yet.  Because we still need him to make some plays.  The high draft picks used on Epenesa Basham Moss and Cody Ford have not panned out.  None of those 4 are good and certainly not top end NFL players.  And I am not a fan of Spencer Brown.  He gets injured a lot, takes a lot of penalties, and hasn't dominated.  But he is only in his 2nd year, and doesn't suck.  It remains to be seen about Elam.  

We do have our QB though.  And when he is on top of his game, noone is beating us.  No team has a perfect roster.  The Chiefs defense was nothing special last nite.  And if not for a ticky tack defensive holding penalty on Derwin James against Kelce, the Chiefs likely lose that game.  Its a week to week league in the NFL.  Domination every week just does not happen in this era.  You just need to be better then your opponent each week.  Better game plan, better in game adjustments, less mistakes and less turnovers.  We are usually pretty good at all that.  And will be better if we can get healthy on defense.  Get Josh's head on straight, and we will still be tough to beat home or on the road the rest of the season.  Not saying we will win the bowl.  But when Josh is on, I like our chances in KC every time we play there.  And everywhere else for that matter.

• Like (+1) 1

Can we please forget about Beasley?  The Bills saw his capabilities dropping away last year, so they didn't bring him back (and brought in Crowder to replace him).  Beasley got a shot with Tampa Bay earlier this year and lasted about one game.  He just hit the wall and had to hang 'em up.  Good player, just got to the end of the road.  Can't criticize the Bills for the Crowder signing, which looked very promising before he got hurt.

What really hurt the Bills front office was McKissic backing out of his contract.  That is why the Bills spent a second on James Cook and traded a seventh for Hines.  The Cook pick could have been another WR, another OL, or some other position of need.  (Good news, Cook looks very good, probably better than McKissic, so in the long run maybe this is in our favor.  But this year's team could have been better with McKissic plus another high draft pick.)

Edited by Utah John
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, todd said:

Well, the bills beat KC in KC. So what is your point, that KC didn’t really lose?

Beane is a fantastic GM. To think otherwise is foolish.

Are you hanging your hat on week 3? Since then our defense looks very different. When the depth guys in the secondary took over look at the passing and running stats in the last 3 games. It’s our job to question the way the team is constructed. 

People can defend Beane all they want, and he’s been great, but when you get to Week 12, are a passing team and have four WR’s, of which only two are reliable.. there is a problem with roster construction. 

Blame injuries if you want, but one guy is a special teams player and the other is a slot who we signed to a small contract due to his injury history.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

People can defend Beane all they want, and he’s been great, but when you get to Week 12, are a passing team and have four WR’s, of which only two are reliable.. there is a problem with roster construction. 

Blame injuries if you want, but one guy is a special teams player and the other is a slot who we signed to a small contract due to his injury history.  

Beane is the best GM in the game, but hasn’t done a great job of allotting resources evenly to both sides of the ball. One of my main criticisms last off-season was that we didn’t do enough to strengthen our strength, which is passing the ball. We lost sanders and Beasley and replaced them with McKenzie (hated that extension), crowder, Howard, and Shakir. He signed 4 offensive players to one year deals, while giving several of the defensive players multi year deals. 

I have been banging the table to keep adding weapons. Beane and McD talk about competition, but didn’t challenge Davis going into camp. He was basically handed the number 2 role, which he hasn’t exactly earned this season. I think he’s a really good 4, but he leaves you wanting more as a 2. Shakir seems to have a good future, but it makes no sense why McKenzie is getting as many snaps as he is. Thinking crowder would stay healthy was wishful thinking. Saffold is on a one year deal and I wanted the bills to draft a guard high to learn and take over next year. Now we have a hole to fill because they did nothing else on the line. 

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When was that?   The Bills have had a handful of years where they have been truly lousy in the past 35 years.   They were usually mediocre when they were not good.  You aren't mediocre playing with starters that couldn't be reserves on "other teams".     It's like you "didn't live thru" making the playoffs 10 times in 12 years with one of the best rosters in football. 

So you ask when they stunk for a long period of time then reference when they were good 23 years ago… 😂 

It’s really impressive the bills are 7-3 with all the injuries we’ve had before you even get to the fact that josh is likely playing hurt.  A couple role player wrs being out for kc is nowhere near the same thing as what we’ve been dealing with especially when you factor in that they still have Kelce and their offensive line has been much better than ours.  

we invested in the defense to help out josh and they have been absolutely decimated by injuries.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

7 hours ago, Fallser said:

I don't know what's in the Niagara River, but this dude needs to lay off drinking it. 

I cannot help you one of those low football IQ dudes that will be crying after they lose in second round of playoffs. Maybe you need to stop drinking the heavy booze before watching games ,  you would not sound so delusional

OP, I took snapshots but have to write it out so why don’t review this horrible roster after 10 games in 2022.

Offense

Yards

Passing 

Rushing

Defense

Yards

Passing

Rushing

Mona Lisa Vito said it best!

Next topic.

Gugs and Eball, I thought you’d like this one.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, boater said:

Blah, blah, blah, poorly constructed roster, blah, blah, blah.

All I know is Beane is #1 in GM Power Rankings. https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-gm-power-rankings-bills-brandon-beane-sean-mcdermott-rams-les-snead-top-the-

Didn’t you hear? Good GM’s have Pro Bowlers backing up the All Pros at every position! 

You can’t be deep everywhere. There is no team in the NFL that doesn’t wish they had a few more players at some positions, especially this late in the season. Nothing and nobody is perfect, but I like where we stand for the most part, even with some shallow positions. For goodness sakes, these clumps of injuries, especially with DB’s, is just dumb luck and we need to fight thru it now, then address it in the offseason. Every offseason. Beane is my guy for doing that! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I totally agree with all this. We hedged our bets that Davis would take a huge step and he hasn’t been consistent enough to feel he can be our 2. McKenzie is awful. They didn’t do enough to surround Allen this off-season.  They need an offense heavy off-season to balance out this roster. 

I ignore the low IQ guys who sound like soccer moms and then cry after lose to the Jets and a Vikings team that got slaughtered at home to the Cowboys.  Maybe if they had a better quality LB we could stop the run or not see Josh having run for his life because McKENZIE just stands in one spot. They will be crying after these playoffs. 

The Bills had a few questions going into the season (just like every team in the NFL).  Especially on offense.

Most of us didn't worry too much, because they all seemed like easy lay-ups.  But just like typical Bills luck, almost every gamble we made on that side of the ball has totally backfired:

• Could Ken Dorsey step into the offensive coordinator role, and replace Brian Daboll?  Since Dorsey had been on the staff for three seasons, and was handpicked by Josh Allen, most of us figured he would be fine.  Maybe even an upgrade.  If things got rough, all he needed to do was pull formations/plays from last season.  Things looked good for a 2-3 games, and has been horribly inconsistent ever since.  Our Red Zone performance is embarrassing.
  • Could Gabe Davis take over the #2 receiver role?  After two seasons of stellar play off the bench, and absolutely torching the Chiefs in the playoffs, many of us saw him as our version of "Reggie Wayne" or Torry Holt" in a record-breaking scoring attack.  Instead, Davis has struggled badly with drops.  Last week, the Vikings said he can only run three routes and is easy to defend.
  • Could someone step into the slot role and replace Cole Beasley's production?  Another slam-dunk, right?  Beasley played hurt most of last season, and his head/heart didn't seem to be in it anymore.  Jameson Crowder was a somewhat proven vet.  Khalil Shakir was a promising rookie.  And Isaiah McKenzie beat them both in training camp.  At least one should work out.  Crowder got hurt.  McKenzie is good for one dumb mistake per game.  And Shakir is invisible.
  • Could the return of Aaron Kromer and addition of Rodger Saffold help upgrade the O-Line, and give us a strong pivot with the running game?  For the most part, the answer has been no (hopefully Sunday was a positive sign).  This team only seems to have consistency running with Allen, or when the defense is expecting the pass.

Yes.  The additions to our D-Line have been great, and we have two very promising rookies at cornerback.

But that improvement has been totally offset by injuries.  Micah Hyde gone for the season after Week 2.  Tre White still not back after 10 games.  Almost every starter has missed at least 1-2 games, if not more.

This season has been especially frustrating to watch... when you consider the Kansas City Chiefs traded away one of their best players and haven't missed him in the slightest.  

44 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This ism point,  not suggesting they need to have all pros at every position like the one Buffon tried to say.  I just better complementary players that can help Josh Allen out.  

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You're not wrong. 

In some spots - secondary/corner - I think the Bills have scouted, developed and done well. 

Hamlin is a good player as a 6th Round pick. He hits hard, and hasn't quite developed the knack that Hyde has for making plays on balls in the air. 

Benford is a 6th Rounder from Villanova that has had to come in and play immediately, and he is playing good for that level of expectation. 

To get Dane Jackson in the 7th and he can start, that's good scouting. 

The Bills #1 corner has been out for a year now. 

To your point, the Bills haven't gotten much return on the draft investment made in the defensive line. Rousseau is a good DE, with elite size, from a large school, so that pick looks good to me. Beyond that Epenesa is not getting a 2nd contract, he was slow at the combine and he's had to play in the 250's to try and compensate for that since, Basham is a part-time player, they've band-aided at DT, and Oliver has been ok, but not compared to a Top 10 draft pick standard.  

Bernard needs to spend the entire year trying to get bigger, he looks small on the field, and you don't see anywhere near the closing speed of Milano. 

On offense, the Bills have no #2 Tight End. 

The Bills found a good LT, and paid for a Center. Otherwise, they've gone the band-aid route and patched in with lower draft picks and spot starters in free agency. From time to time this rears it's ugly head. 

Like I've said in other threads, in warmups it is obvious that beyond Davis and Diggs, there are no answers at WR. This is the Bills biggest need heading into 2023. They need another playmaker with size/speed. Right now these players they have are just too small. 

And they have really gone all-in on running back. Singletary has been a good player, I think, for a 3rd Rounder. He's steady, does his job, been productive from day one, and Cook is coming on. 

The Bills need a draft focused on WRs and Offensive Lineman. Of course, they will also have to manage Josh's cap hit, and age at Safety, and if they can't resign Edmunds, MLB will push Offensive Lineman down in importance. 

Great points,  much more classy then clowns pretending there is no problem.  The Chiefs starting RB runs a 4.4 FORTY and they picked him in the 7th round

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The team signed Crowder a vet to help at WR while also adding Shakir a mid round pick. The team made attempts to address the loss of players at the position.

Crowder looked terrible before he got injured and McKENZIE has been a train wreck,  then the regression of Davis and the WR group went backwards from last season.  Can we agree that this team goes as far as our passing game will take us?

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The drops are real. Just like with Knox it is so infuriating because they make the super difficult catch look easy. 

He's a great #2. And dirt cheap. 

We are lucky he has been so good. 

I'd still prefer coaxing Sanders out of retirement over OBJ and his bad knee if they really want to make a move to help the WR group.

Either Beasley or Sanders I would be fine with,  this would help both Diggs and Davis

A lot written about Gabe Davis and "not taking a step" this year. It's not all about stats, but:

2020: 16 games played, 35 receptions, 599 yards, 7 TDs

2021: 16 games played, 35 receptions, 549 yards, 6 TDs (yes, huge game in playoffs)

2022: 9 games played, 29 receptions, 612 yards, 5 TDs

Diggs-Davis combo this year (rec-yds-TDs): 105-1,645-13

Other elite combos:

Hill-Waddle: 132-2,026-10

Higgins-Chase-Boyd: 136-1,896-13

Jefferson-Thielen: 117-1,585-6

D. Smith-AJ Brown: 101-1,345-9

Metcalf-Lockett: 102-1,221-9

KC has Kelce, so that's a different comparison, but Schuster-Scantling-Hardman-Moore: 118-1,540-7

Hill-Waddle are the tops, and Chase's numbers are down because he has missed 3 games, but Diggs-Davis' numbers are better than everyone else. And Davis' numbers compare real favorably to all #2s other than Higgins and Waddle, and he missed a game (and probably played injured in at least 1-2 others). 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Kelce's size and athleticism is what makes him better. That said I think our roster is far more complete than KC's especially on defense.

Maybe on defence but not on offence

1 hour ago, boater said:

Blah, blah, blah, poorly constructed roster, blah, blah, blah.

All I know is Beane is #1 in GM Power Rankings. https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-gm-power-rankings-bills-brandon-beane-sean-mcdermott-rams-les-snead-top-the-

Power ranking mean jack..... all about having enough play makers to win a Super Bowl

6 hours ago, Tanoros said:

THANK X A MILLION! Too many are complaining about the sky falling, but their opinions are purely emotional and have no bearing on reality. I think these people want us to be like the Chiefs week in and week out, if not, the sky is falling. 

To be fair, most of us came into the season expecting the Bills to win the Super Bowl.  THIS YEAR.  

Anything less is going to be considered a massive disappointment and utter failure of a season.  Regardless of injuries or adversity.

Looking inferior to the team who has eliminated us two straight seasons SHOULD upset fans, and sound warning bells.

Just one month ago (at the bye), we were in the driver's seat for the #1 seed in the AFC.  Just defeated the Chiefs in Arrowhead.  Boasted the best record in the conference AND had tiebreakers over every other division winner.  In the course of only three games, the Bills managed to lose control of the #1 seed AND their own division.  The AFC East still seems winnable, since we still have another game against Miami.  But homefield in the playoffs already looks long-gone. 

Most of us aren't upset because we honestly feel the Bills stink or that they will miss the playoffs.  Most of us are upset, because this team is repeating the same pattern as in 2021.  Bad luck.  Blowing winnable games.  Losing to inferior teams.  Letting homefield slip away.  And it all culminating in another crushing playoff defeat in Kansas City.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.