Poorly constructed roster

Niagara Dude

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Davis hate here has reached new levels of idiocy.  He has 11 catches for 161 yards in the past 2 games.  He's going to double his yardage from last season, he's averaging 21.1 YPC.  21 of his 29 catches were for 1st downs (higher 1stD % than Diggs).  

The drops are real. Just like with Knox it is so infuriating because they make the super difficult catch look easy. 

He's a great #2. And dirt cheap. 

We are lucky he has been so good. 

I'd still prefer coaxing Sanders out of retirement over OBJ and his bad knee if they really want to make a move to help the WR group.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

If there is a physical reason for Allen looking diminished as a passer, I would suggest that that reason is his injured right elbow, which happened on ONE play, where his protection -- not the receiver depth chart -- was the issue.

To blame "taking a lot of physical punishment" for his poor play instead of the specific issue of his injured elbow and recent stretch of poor decision making seems like a leap. And either way -- whether the elbow is to blame or whether, as you say, "taking a lot of physical punishment" is the issue, claiming that the wide receiver depth chart is the primary reason is also a bit of a leap.

I'd suggest that poor pass blocking and defenses catching up to Ken Dorsey's offensive playcalling are as much to blame -- if not more so -- for the offensive regression as the wide receiver depth chart.

I DO agree that the Bills need help at receiver, but it's in the slot where I feel they need help, not on the outside. Wasn't it the depth at outside receiver that you were harping on all summer? Yes, I thought that Shakir and McKenzie would get the job done inside. No, to this point, that has not been the case.

In any case, I do agree that the expectations were, are, and should be much higher, and the Bills are not meeting them. But to claim that lack of receiving talent is the primary reason for their recent offensive shortcomings doesn't do it for me. 

I am shocked. Shocked, I say!

Some people blame some big hits in the GB game........you blame the elbow injury..........the reality is that they are both tied to inefficiencies in the passing game due to problems with the WR corps.    The Jets game was a particularly bad day for the WR corps which put the Bills in a late game predicament that lead to the arm injury.   

I am shocked that you don't admit that the WR corps is a problem.   Shocked, I say! (what a dork:lol:)

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You and @eball were among the group that insisted that the Bills were great at WR and that suggestions otherwise were not only wrong but just absurd.

I didn't say they were "great" or couldn't be improved at WR...I've been on the OBJ bandwagon from the get-go, and pre-draft I wanted them to draft a WR early.  The discussion this revolves around was whether it was wise for Beane to invest so heavily in the DL instead of going after WR talent...and does anyone still think the DL investment was a bad idea?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

I didn't say they were "great" or couldn't be improved at WR...I've been on the OBJ bandwagon from the get-go, and pre-draft I wanted them to draft a WR early.  The discussion this revolves around was whether it was wise for Beane to invest so heavily in the DL instead of going after WR talent...and does anyone still think the DL investment was a bad idea?

Then people would whine about our front four not being able to get home. 

• Agree 1

Kc is simply favored by the refs when in close games...they never get called for the multiple holds/push offs and pick plays they run...the opposing team is on the opposite end of the spectrum and the refs are watching them for anything they can throw a flag on and allot of times phantom tricky tack flags are thrown if they get a big play or look like they may pull it off...to beat kc you also must beat the refs the majority of the time...the league is propping that team and its a team that doesn't even need the help smh

Just now, Billever76 said:

Kc is simply favored by the refs when in close games...they never get called for the multiple holds/push offs and pick plays they run...the opposing team is on the opposite end of the spectrum and the refs are watching them for anything they can throw a flag on and allot of times phantom tricky tack flags are thrown if they get a big play or look like they may pull it off...to beat kc you also must beat the refs the majority of the time...the league is propping that team and its a team that doesn't even need the help smh

Go rewatch all kc close games and game winning drives....the refs will flag kc for ***** early in games or in no crucial drives...but when the chips are on the table and it's down to the wire 90% of the time the refs guide kc to wins 

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Some people blame some big hits in the GB game........you blame the elbow injury..........the reality is that they are both tied to inefficiencies in the passing game due to problems with the WR corps.    The Jets game was a particularly bad day for the WR corps which put the Bills in a late game predicament that lead to the arm injury.   

I am shocked that you don't admit that the WR corps is a problem.   Shocked, I say! (what a dork:lol:)

I believe I just DID admit that the WR corps is a problem.

Like I said, though, I believe that the slot is where the WR production is lacking, not out wide, as you were claiming all offseason. I also do not believe that the WR corps is the sole reason that our offense has had a few down weeks, as you also seem to be claiming. 

It is regrettable that you continue to be unable to carry on a conversation without personally insulting the person with whom you are conversing. I trust that with continued self reflection you may one day rise above such pettiness. I'm rooting for you.

Edited by Logic

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

The drops are real. Just like with Knox it is so infuriating because they make the super difficult catch look easy. 

He's a great #2. And dirt cheap. 

We are lucky he has been so good. 

I'd still prefer coaxing Sanders out of retirement over OBJ and his bad knee if they really want to make a move to help the WR group.

I wouldn’t call him a “great number 2” by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, he’s disappointed this season by not being the consistent threat we were hoping he’d become. 

14 minutes ago, eball said:

Ok so you were thinking in your mind that the Bills really needed WR help......but were just trolling the board with your running sarcasm toward the mention of it?  :rolleyes:

You literally had a routine down mocking people about "boundary" WR's.    Those jokes didn't age well.     

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The emphasis on special teams versus quality depth is a legit complaint.  I also think the Kelce/Mahomes combo is just better than Josh/Diggs combo.  Other than that, I’m not sure what else the front office can do and there’s really nothing they can do in regards to Kelce/Mahomes being the best out there.  

Kelce's size and athleticism is what makes him better. That said I think our roster is far more complete than KC's especially on defense.

3 hours ago, LEBills said:

We have invested a ton of assets into the defense which has had many injuries this year. At full force with Tre, Poyer, Hyde, Milano, Edmunds and Elam, it is an elite unit who will hold opposing teams scoring very low.

I personally would have put more premium assets into the offense over the past few years, but I don’t think it is a poorly constructed roster. Just a defensive heavy, injured one that relies on its $250 million quarterback to pick up a lot of the slack on offense.

And our $250 million QB is fully capable with his weapons of picking up any slack...  but ONLY if he starts being smart taking what the defense gives him instead of trying to impose his will on opponents.  He'll be able to impose it once he utilizes every weapon he has giving defenses headaches trying to guess what he'll do next.

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I still think it was more than the lack of good WRs that caused the issues against the Jets and Vikings. Allen generally looked more confused and forced throws that he had stopped doing after his rookie year. I hope it was just as simple as a passing phase (heh) and not due to any personal issues or injuries. I was happy to see him be lot more conservative in the Browns game, but there will be games (perhaps as early as Thursday) where the deep passes and tight window throws will be needed. One of three things could happen, only one good:

- Allen is too worried about pulling the trigger (lack of confidence due to 10 INTs) 

-  Allen re-gains confidence but makes mistakes again

- He re-gains confidence and we rain TDs on the Lions

Lets see what happens in the remaining tougher games. 

To your other point, I joined the OBJ bandwagon late and that is due to there being too few other outside options. I would like to see Hines and Shakir more involved in the short passing game. 

4 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

I love your objectivity because it’s hard for Bills fans to accept a team that drafted Josh, Edmunds,Milano and traded for Diggs,actually have gaping holes in their secondary depth and receiving corp and O-line. As a GM you can’t use ignorance of the length of injuries as an excuse. The reference to KC is sadly on the money. They’re proactive and have filled holes beautifully. It doesn’t hurt to have number 15 either . 

Well, the bills beat KC in KC. So what is your point, that KC didn’t really lose?

Beane is a fantastic GM. To think otherwise is foolish.

4 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

Yes, they figured Davis would take another step forward.  Based on his play last season, that seemed like a prudent bet.  It hasn't worked out as well as we would have hoped.

You seem to be forgetting that they signed Jamison Crowder -- seemed like a solid signing at the time -- and drafted Shakir.  It's not like they ignored the position in the offseason or anything.  It's just that the guy they signed to play the slot got hurt in camp and never really recovered, and they've brought Shakir along very slowly.  My guess is they probably had plans for Cook in the slot and haven't felt comfortable opening that part of the playbook up yet.  

What did you want them to do?  Go and get Davante Adams?  Pick a WR early in the draft instead of a CB, which we desperately needed?  Tell us what your offseason plan was.

You answered your own question.  Get Shakir out there as a starter, and plant McKenzie on the bench except for gadget plays.  And even those plays can be given to Hines.  He has way more talent then McKenzie.  Shakir has plenty of ability.  Guy could catch at least 60 balls this year if used on a regular basis.  The roster is not as problematic as how we use the players we have.  Cook, Shakir and Hines are a nice complement to Davis, Diggs and Knox.  And we still have Singletary Morris and Gilliam as well.  And don't forget Josh Allen running the rock.  That could be the best weapon we have.  No reason this offense can't be explosive either running or passing.  That's on the coaching staff to use all our weapons.  KC can do it.  No reason we can't.    

Did you actually watch Mahomes not missing a bear last night? Every single clutch play went to one person on the O. They trailed several times. How about other games, the Colts for instance. The Bills is another example. Might check both those games if you think they haven’t missed a beat. 

One could say the reason Buffalo is 7-3 is due to the depth. Rookies and inexperienced secondary have played most the season, LB’s have had to step up a few times. 
look at play calling, execution on both sides and you’ll find more answers to those questions you have. 

4 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I also believe Bills need to stop playing EJ. Epensa over Shaq Lawson,  this looks like Beane forcing Cody Ford on the field because he was a second rounder.  Epensa looks like a second bust but continues to play because of his draft status.  Lawson makes more big plays on far less opportunities 

E.J. Epensa MUST GO!!!1111

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ok so you were thinking in your mind that the Bills really needed WR help......but were just trolling the board with your running sarcasm toward the mention of it?  :rolleyes:

You literally had a routine down mocking people about "boundary" WR's.    Those jokes didn't age well.     

Hey, if there’s an opportunity to troll @ScottLaw I’d be a fool not to take it. 

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

The goal is to win a Super Bowl? When do we get the moral gold standard parade, because we couldn't wait to ditch Cole. Retired or not there's no way we couldn't have got more out of Cole than we are McK. An offense he knew, had a rapport and chemistry with Josh. I'll never understand the ppl who were so excited to run our own Welker Jr out of town. 

We passed on DK 2.0 in Christian Watson, and George Pickens looked polished coming out of the draft. It's unfortunate, I understand why we did what we did, but either one of these guys would've done more for us than Elam (no knock on him, I think he's going to be really good).

Next year's draft needs to be 75% offense, especially at the top of the board. Would love to see us move up to draft Jordan Addison. 

In 2022 NFL WRs are arguably the 2nd or 3rd most important position in football, and we throw more than almost everyone, so the cost is justified. Especially once you take into acct the price tag of trying to sign a FA. Would love to see us grab 2 WRs and an OL in the first few rounds. 

It's easier to stoke the fires on offense, than it is to pile picks on the defensive side. Def picks are already a diminished return investment in this league.

C'mon Crowder over Beas by a mile.  Beas was going off a cliff.  And odds are Beas would be hurt now anyway - or playing like a cripple.

I was all for a WR in round 1.  I too, hope the FO tries for one next year.  But for this year the FO may not be done, if they add OBJ, they may have, for the stretch run, dare I say, the best WR unit the Bills have ever had.

I believe you vastly overestimate the ease of creating an excellent defensive line.  Now that we finally have one, the vast majority of posters turn a blind eye to this key development.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.