Poorly constructed roster

Niagara Dude

I am starting to see roster that is poorly constructed and not enough quality depth at key positions. You watch KC who lost Hill and Mahomes still has numerous options at the WR position beyond just Kelce( they had two starters out and still did not miss a beat). We lost vets like Beasley and Sanders and assumed Davis would take another leap,  they then proceeded to go with mediocre guys after that.  

Davis cannot be trusted not to drop balls and McKENZIE looks like he cannot be trusted and accident waiting to happen. Even when Josh has time,  teams are just doubling Diggs and others are not creating enough separation.  How many times when teams played zone would we see Beasley find a sport in the zone for an easy pitch & catch in previous years. For a team that throws first,  the WR has become a weakness beyond Diggs.  On the other side of the ball the Bills are paying Matakevich 3.25 million for his special teams,  anyone recall any Steve Tasker level plays for this guy.  Or why is Taiwan Jones still on this team?  Both guy are making more then our 3rd LB Tyrel Dodson who looks terrible playing for injured Edmunds. It's a reason why even when team are running in down our throats we still have only 2 LB'S in the game.

We have zero quality depth at the LB position right now and are lucky Milano is healthy and playing like an all pro. How you spend your money is so important and using 4.3 mllion in cap space for Jones and Matakevich is costing us from having better quality depth at regular positions. Yes I believe that money could have been used to have a more competent 3rd receiver ( maybe even Beasley) or a starting level LB who you play on special teams.  Josh needs to be surrounded with better WR's  just like Mahomes has and our defence needs more than two starting level LB'S when teams start to just run the ball

I also believe Bills need to stop playing EJ. Epensa over Shaq Lawson,  this looks like Beane forcing Cody Ford on the field because he was a second rounder.  Epensa looks like a second bust but continues to play because of his draft status.  Lawson makes more big plays on far less opportunities 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 13
  • Eyeroll 17
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 19
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 8

3 minutes ago, Fallser said:

I don't know what's in the Niagara River, but this dude needs to lay off drinking it. 

Imagine us sitting here like Denver fans as they realize their team would be 9-1 if they could simply score 18 points on offense.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I am starting to see roster that is poorly constructed and not enough quality depth at key positions. You watch KC who lost Hill and Mahomes still has numerous options at the WR position beyond just Kelce( they had two starters out and still did not miss a beat). We lost vets like Beasley and Sanders and assumed Davis would take another leap,  they then proceeded to go with mediocre guys after that.  

Davis cannot be trusted not to drop balls and McKENZIE looks like he cannot be trusted and accident waiting to happen. Even when Josh has time,  teams are just doubling Diggs and others are not creating enough separation.  How many times when teams played zone would we see Beasley find a sport in the zone for an easy pitch & catch in previous years. For a team that throws first,  the WR has become a weakness beyond Diggs.  On the other side of the ball the Bills are paying Matakevich 3.25 million for his special teams,  anyone recall any Steve Tasker level plays for this guy.  Or why is Taiwan Jones still on this team?  Both guy are making more then our 3rd LB Tyrel Dodson who looks terrible playing for injured Edmunds. It's a reason why even when team are running in down our throats we still have only 2 LB'S in the game.

We have zero quality depth at the LB position right now and are lucky Milano is healthy and playing like an all pro. How you spend your money is so important and using 4.3 mllion in cap space for Jones and Matakevich is costing us from having better quality depth at regular positions. Yes I believe that money could have been used to have a more competent 3rd receiver ( maybe even Beasley) or a starting level LB who you play on special teams.  Josh needs to be surrounded with better WR's  just like Mahomes has and our defence needs more than two starting level LB'S when teams start to just run the ball

I also believe Bills need to stop playing EJ. Epensa over Shaq Lawson,  this looks like Beane forcing Cody Ford on the field because he was a second rounder.  Epensa looks like a second bust but continues to play because of his draft status.  Lawson makes more big plays on far less opportunities 

I totally agree with all this. We hedged our bets that Davis would take a huge step and he hasn’t been consistent enough to feel he can be our 2. McKenzie is awful. They didn’t do enough to surround Allen this off-season.  They need an offense heavy off-season to balance out this roster. 

• Disagree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

I totally agree with all this. We hedged our bets that Davis would take a huge step and he hasn’t been consistent enough to feel he can be our 2. McKenzie is awful. They didn’t do enough to surround Allen this off-season.  They need an offense heavy off-season to balance out this roster. 

Yes, they figured Davis would take another step forward.  Based on his play last season, that seemed like a prudent bet.  It hasn't worked out as well as we would have hoped.

You seem to be forgetting that they signed Jamison Crowder -- seemed like a solid signing at the time -- and drafted Shakir.  It's not like they ignored the position in the offseason or anything.  It's just that the guy they signed to play the slot got hurt in camp and never really recovered, and they've brought Shakir along very slowly.  My guess is they probably had plans for Cook in the slot and haven't felt comfortable opening that part of the playbook up yet.  

What did you want them to do?  Go and get Davante Adams?  Pick a WR early in the draft instead of a CB, which we desperately needed?  Tell us what your offseason plan was.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This team has played 10 games — primarily against playoff teams — and is like a half dozen plays away from being 10-0. And that's with half of the starting defense missing considerable time due to injury. Let's maybe take about 30% off the top in terms of worry. The offense will get humming again. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Yes, they figured Davis would take another step forward.  Based on his play last season, that seemed like a prudent bet.  It hasn't worked out as well as we would have hoped.

You seem to be forgetting that they signed Jamison Crowder -- seemed like a solid signing at the time -- and drafted Shakir.  It's not like they ignored the position in the offseason or anything.  It's just that the guy they signed to play the slot got hurt in camp and never really recovered, and they've brought Shakir along very slowly.  My guess is they probably had plans for Cook in the slot and haven't felt comfortable opening that part of the playbook up yet.  

What did you want them to do?  Go and get Davante Adams?  Pick a WR early in the draft instead of a CB, which we desperately needed?  Tell us what your offseason plan was.

I wanted a WR or OL early. Didn’t want a corner in the first. McD has a good track record with developing DBs and thought we could wait til later. 

Turns out that the WRs were picked through and there weren’t any OL available in round one either. I was then hoping for a trade down to pick up more picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

We have invested a ton of assets into the defense which has had many injuries this year. At full force with Tre, Poyer, Hyde, Milano, Edmunds and Elam, it is an elite unit who will hold opposing teams scoring very low.

I personally would have put more premium assets into the offense over the past few years, but I don’t think it is a poorly constructed roster. Just a defensive heavy, injured one that relies on its $250 million quarterback to pick up a lot of the slack on offense.

• Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MPL said:

This team has played 10 games — primarily against playoff teams — and is like a half dozen plays away from being 10-0. And that's with half of the starting defense missing considerable time due to injury. Let's maybe take about 30% off the top in terms of worry. The offense will get humming again. 

It's amazing that people don't realize that literally every team in the league goes through these stretches and it's usually right around this time every year...somehow in their mind the Bills are the only team who goes through them.  Now the team is terrible being 7-3 and losing 3 games by a combined 8 points.  They will be fine. Too much hand wringing about what will turn out to be nothing in the end.

Complaining about an offense that has scored 27, 17, 30 and 31 points in the last month to the degree many are is kinda mind boggling to me. It's like they are scoring 13 points a game or something. Got news for ya...there are 25+ teams that would sign up to have our "roster issues" right now and would probably fight each other for the right to do so.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I love your objectivity because it’s hard for Bills fans to accept a team that drafted Josh, Edmunds,Milano and traded for Diggs,actually have gaping holes in their secondary depth and receiving corp and O-line. As a GM you can’t use ignorance of the length of injuries as an excuse. The reference to KC is sadly on the money. They’re proactive and have filled holes beautifully. It doesn’t hurt to have number 15 either . 

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LEBills said:

We have invested a ton of assets into the defense which has had many injuries this year. At full force with Tre, Poyer, Hyde, Milano, Edmunds and Elam, it is an elite unit who will hold opposing teams scoring very low.

I personally would have put more premium assets into the offense over the past few years, but I don’t think it is a poorly constructed roster. Just a defensive heavy, injured one that relies on its $250 million quarterback to pick up a lot of the slack on offense.

Beane needs to focus on offense this off-season. He needs to lock McD in a padded room and not allow him to be in his ear that he needs more defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

It's amazing that people don't realize that literally every team in the league goes through these stretches and it's usually right around this time every year...somehow in their mind the Bills are the only team who goes through them.  Now the team is terrible being 7-3 and losing 3 games by a combined 8 points.  They will be fine. Too much hand wringing about what will turn out to be nothing in the end.

This. Everyone is so concerned about the Chiefs on this board. Well, their 2019 SB season they went 2-4 between weeks 5 and 10. Losses and losing streaks happen in every season. It’s a long season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The emphasis on special teams versus quality depth is a legit complaint.  I also think the Kelce/Mahomes combo is just better than Josh/Diggs combo.  Other than that, I’m not sure what else the front office can do and there’s really nothing they can do in regards to Kelce/Mahomes being the best out there.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Davis has had drops but he has also made some amazing plays.  If you think that teams have depth all over the place you are just wrong. Look no further than your example of KC. They lost both starting OTs in the playoffs a couple years ago and that cost them a SuperBowl.  Look what Buffalo did to KC secondary after Matheiu was hurt in the game. 

Virtually no team can withstand the injuries the Bills have and have the record they do.  Rejoice in the fact that we have Josh Allen and hope that his 2 and 1/2 game slump is over.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.