Squirrel Winter shirts and hoodies are now available.

Just Jack

This is a serious thread.  Here's the article about the guys who dug Josh out.  

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nfl/bills/neighbors-step-up-to-ensure-bills-qb-josh-allen-played-in-sundays-game-squirrel-winter-marc-braun-norm-marshall/71-3b123715-feca-4eb3-8dcf-5b2b4e7045ca

The best part isn't that somebody dug out our quarterback.  It's that at least one of these guys was driving around being a Good Samaritan and helping others in a time of need, without any expectation of compensation.  

Stuff like this makes Buffalo the City of Good Neighbors.  I'll contrast that with an experience in my neighborhood, in which a local d-bag decided to profiteer and charge his old folks neighbors $100 to use his lawn tractor/snowblower to dig them out.  (We all know who is NOT getting invited to the next block party.)

So, bottom line, this Squirrel story is pretty cool.  He's a good guy getting his "15 minutes" for doing people a gratuitous solid.  There's a lot more "Squirrels" out there (looking at you, OP Fire and OP Highway), and maybe we can all take a moment and thank these guys and try to emulate them when we have a chance.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am like squirrel. I've also been warned by DOT what I do is illegal because I damage the road.

I go clear the intersection with my bucket, and plow the roads and area at a turn as well as a few neighbors, including a police officer. 

DOT has told me to stop.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Am I the only one that thinks it is totally ridiculous that with the Trillion$ the NFL has, the Billion$ the Pegulas have, the Million$ the franchise has, and the Million$ these players have... they have to rely on Joe Blow from down the block to dig the players out and get them to the game?!?

Pegula needs to invest an easy $1M in a couple of humvees with plows, and a small fleet of snowmobiles, and keep them handy for when this happens again.

I don't know what you're smoking, but it's too strong for you.

Also regarding the topic, you might want to point out that the profits from these shirts goes to the 716 Store, not any of the people that dug the players out. 

• Dislike 2

• Just Jack changed the title to Squirrel Winter shirts and hoodies are now available.
58 minutes ago, QCity said:

Also regarding the topic, you might want to point out that the profits from these shirts goes to the 716 Store, not any of the people that dug the players out. 

***A portion of the proceeds on the sale of this shirt will be donated to Langford-New Oregon VFC on behalf of Squirrel.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I was stationed in Great Falls MT, we did winter convoy training and got stuck A LOT in humvees. also, they are iceboxes that don't heat up, and they are the most uncomfortable vehicles for anyone over 6 ft tall. 

Agreed.  Not cool in the summer, not warm in the winter, not ever comfortable.  And they do get stuck.

Once in Korea, my driver and I were driving a narrow dirt road that was bordered by a 4-5 foot drop.   I told my driver he was too close to the edge, but he insisted he was fine.  I said him, "Okay.   But if we fall off the edge, you have to get someone to two us back up."  Sure enough, the side of the road crumbled and we ended up stuck with two wheels over the edge.  

Another time in the Arabian Desert, a different driver was swearing that it was virtually impossible to get stuck in a Humvee.  Based on my experience in Korea and elsewhere, I disagreed.  But he was persistent, confident that his driving skill combined with the capabilities of the Humvee made it impossible for us to get stuck.  I let him drive over a big sand berm, built as a defense wall, to prove his point.  Only it didn't.  We ended straddling the berm with four wheels dangling in the air.  Stuck.  

It is hard to get a Humvee stuck, but possible.  Maybe the Bills need to provide players with snowmobiles?

Or put Squirrel on the payroll and give him the addresses of all the players and staff?  

1 hour ago, QCity said:

I don't know what you're smoking, but it's too strong for you.

So I'm nuts to think that the folks with the high-ranking connections and unlimited resources should have a better plan than "I hope the neighbors dig us out"?

If anything, the Bills should be digging their neighbors out. Mario Williams did this with his Bobcat. Got Jim Kelly and a few other people cleared, delivered them all groceries. THAT is how it should be done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Am I the only one that thinks it is totally ridiculous that with the Trillion$ the NFL has, the Billion$ the Pegulas have, the Million$ the franchise has, and the Million$ these players have... they have to rely on Joe Blow from down the block to dig the players out and get them to the game?!?

Pegula needs to invest an easy $1M in a couple of humvees with plows, and a small fleet of snowmobiles, and keep them handy for when this happens again.

It shouldn't be up to neighbors risking heart attacks to get these Millionaires' driveways cleared.

Eh, Joe Blow from around the block digging out players makes for better human interest stories and "Bills Mafia" lovefest stuff...  The National media eats it up.

It shouldn't be up to neighbors risking heart attacks to get these Millionaires' driveways cleared.

Does seem totally ridiculous. Was it simply a fact that all plows were being used elsewhere?

But yeah, I'm guessing these good samaritans end up with some envelopes filled with cash. If they don't that's a big shame.

I think an event like this is a super random event,  I wouldn't be against the team having an emergency snow mobile drivers list to call on if needed for the vicinity of Orchard Park.  But to house an emergency force themselves? Cost vs benefit ration Im thinking nah.

But also you are not going to be able to take the "good neighbors" out of Buffalonians. It is who they are. 

I don't know who Squirrel Winters' is but I take it hometown hero. I love that 🙂

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What's the name, number, expiration date, billing zip code and CVV?  I can give it a whirl.

Thanks Gugny for helping out fellow fans.  We should get a shirt made up for you. 

Gugny’s Credit Card Testing Service

• Haha (+1) 3

Squirrel is front page news and interview material apparently...only in WNY does this happen hahaha 

Leading story for Peter King.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/21/travis-kelce-bills-peter-king-fmia-week-11/?cid=nbcsports

2 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

Does seem totally ridiculous. Was it simply a fact that all plows were being used elsewhere?

But yeah, I'm guessing these good samaritans end up with some envelopes filled with cash. If they don't that's a big shame.

The only people who think it was ridiculous are the people who have probably never even seen a foot of snow in their life let alone 6 or 7 feet at once.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

This is a serious thread.  Here's the article about the guys who dug Josh out.  

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nfl/bills/neighbors-step-up-to-ensure-bills-qb-josh-allen-played-in-sundays-game-squirrel-winter-marc-braun-norm-marshall/71-3b123715-feca-4eb3-8dcf-5b2b4e7045ca

The best part isn't that somebody dug out our quarterback.  It's that at least one of these guys was driving around being a Good Samaritan and helping others in a time of need, without any expectation of compensation.  

Stuff like this makes Buffalo the City of Good Neighbors.  I'll contrast that with an experience in my neighborhood, in which a local d-bag decided to profiteer and charge his old folks neighbors $100 to use his lawn tractor/snowblower to dig them out.  (We all know who is NOT getting invited to the next block party.)

So, bottom line, this Squirrel story is pretty cool.  He's a good guy getting his "15 minutes" for doing people a gratuitous solid.  There's a lot more "Squirrels" out there (looking at you, OP Fire and OP Highway), and maybe we can all take a moment and thank these guys and try to emulate them when we have a chance.  

Anyone rocking one of these in 2022 is someone that gets stuff done.

A0A1CE34-7F6C-4D9C-948D-D9EA6F2F1DB8.jpeg

2 hours ago, muppy said:

I think an event like this is a super random event,  I wouldn't be against the team having an emergency snow mobile drivers list to call on if needed for the vicinity of Orchard Park.  But to house an emergency force themselves? Cost vs benefit ration Im thinking nah.

But also you are not going to be able to take the "good neighbors" out of Buffalonians. It is who they are. 

I don't know who Squirrel Winters' is but I take it hometown hero. I love that 🙂

And where do you park this fleet of plows that is far enough away that it doesn’t get buried in 6 feet of snow but can get there despite driving bans and 6 feet of snow.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.