Slot receiver?

Deadstroke

I have no problem thinking that our #1 & #2 wideouts are fine, and the same goes for TE, but what in the world do we do about the slot?  When we had Beasley it seemed that when needed Josh could look his way for 6 or 8 yards anyway.  Not anymore.  Now what?  What is the problem?  Who is the man? 🤥

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Deadstroke said:

I have no problem thinking that our #1 & #2 wideouts are fine, and the same goes for TE, but what in the world do we do about the slot?  When we had Beasley it seemed that when needed Josh could look his way for 6 or 8 yards anyway.  Not anymore.  Now what?  What is the problem?  Who is the man? 🤥

Play design is probably part of it.  There is no man also.  They are trying to use a bunch of different guys in those spots and you can add hines to the list.  Mckenzie, shakir, Cook, and probably hines now all are going to get looks in different ways.  

It's not ideal but you can get a lot out of it if you're creative.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

I think Shakir is that guy, and hopefully his role will start to pick up similar to what we've seen from Cook.   McKenzie seems like a great guy, but I have little trust in him at this point.  

I don't hate mckenzie as an option, he's been one of our better red zone players even if he didn't make it on the one in this game.  I just think there's been some route spacing issues lately and I don't know who it is.  People are sitting when they shouldn't, balls aren't coming out fast enough, and players are just ending up on top of each other.  

McKenzie is just another guy. Really, he’s just the class clown. The guy has nothing except speed. As an example, the 2-point play yesterday could’ve been converted if he stuck his left foot in the turf and cut it up at the 1. Instead, he doesn’t see that lane. Plus, he’s so tiny that he is afraid to take the hit. This is a terrible trait in football.

And for some reason, Lil Dirty loses his concentration at the most in opportune times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Shakir or McKenzie need to step up. I also do not like Dorsey’s route concepts to be honest. Daboll being gone really has hurt the design of the offense. 

I really don't like the tight formations. 

I think the spacing is terrible. 

We have too many plays that remind me of the Knox TD against Indianapolis in the Playoff game. 

Tight bunch formations, with Allen having to make heaves to players on the sidelines. 

The offense flowed better in 2020 when the Bills ran a true 4-wide, empty set offense. 

On the positive, I noticed the Bills using the toss sweep run play to Cook, allowing him to get the ball in his hands much faster than that shotgun RPO stuff.  

53 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

I think Shakir is that guy, and hopefully his role will start to pick up similar to what we've seen from Cook.   McKenzie seems like a great guy, but I have little trust in him at this point.  

They have to do something, watching McKenzie, Shakir and Gentry warmup with Diggs and Davis, the drop off is enormous. 

44 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I’m not really ok with thinking Gabe Davis is some kind of great number 2 receiver either. He has a ton of drops and according to Patrick Peterson only runs 3 routes. 

Totally agree. Davis hasn’t really stepped up the way we all hoped he would. He’s been decent at times and other times he’s been pretty bad. We still need to upgrade at WR. 

6 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

McKenzie is just another guy. Really, he’s just the class clown. The guy has nothing except speed. As an example, the 2-point play yesterday could’ve been converted if he stuck his left foot in the turf and cut it up at the 1. Instead, he doesn’t see that lane. Plus, he’s so tiny that he is afraid to take the hit. This is a terrible trait in football.

And for some reason, Lil Dirty loses his concentration at the most in opportune times.

Agree with this. Likable guy but not a good football player. I think too many fans give him a pass because he is so likable and has a catchy nickname. The production just isn’t there…

• Thank you (+1) 1

Agreed.  Dirtys failures and McD/Dorsey’s reluctance to give Shakir more targets/snaps has been agonizing.  The slot had played a big role in our offense for the previous 3 seasons.  Especially on 3rd down.  Now, it’s an afterthought.  Dorsey needs to find his way and find the ability to scheme guys open.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Shakir or McKenzie need to step up. I also do not like Dorsey’s route concepts to be honest. Daboll being gone really has hurt the design of the offense. 

I think next year Shakir takes over slot assignment. I also wouldn't be opposed to putting Hines there. McKenzie's days on this team are numbered. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I think next year Shakir takes over slot assignment. I also wouldn't be opposed to putting Hines there. McKenzie's days on this team are numbered. 

I agree. I think Shakir is our future at slot and I’m good with that. He’s way more physical and gets YAC. He catches contested balls too. It’s really tough to see McKenzie out there and Shakir riding pine. 

I also think we need to take a WR high in the draft this year. I can’t imagine that they’ve seen enough from Davis to think he’s the undisputed 2 and I highly doubt they pay him after next year. Time to hedge bets and bring in competition and have a solid 2 waiting in the wings. 

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Also getting no production from the #4 WR position that Gabe Davis held had last year.  

Imo, Davis is a great 4, and an average 2. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  Dirtys failures and McD/Dorsey’s reluctance to give Shakir more targets/snaps has been agonizing.  The slot had played a big role in our offense for the previous 3 seasons.  Especially on 3rd down.  Now, it’s an afterthought.  Dorsey needs to find his way and find the ability to scheme guys open.  

I agree that Dorsey’s learning curve has affected on-field production this season. But, let’s not forget that Dabol went long stretches where he was unable to be flexible enough to shelve the cute plays and just hammer the ball. Dorsey has a lot of room for positive growth. Dabol is Dabol.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

I agree that Dorsey’s learning curve has affected on-field production this season. But, let’s not forget that Dabol went long stretches where he was unable to be flexible enough to shelve the cute plays and just hammer the ball. Dorsey has a lot of room for positive growth. Dabol is Dabol.

Could you imagine having a long 3 game stretch where the offense looks like shite?  That's crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Shakir &/or Hines may need to fill in there. Hines moved out to slot in 9 of 10 plays he was in for per Joe Bascaglia of the Athletic. 

Greg Cosell pointed out last Friday (on 1 Bills Live) that Dorsey doesn't help his WRs, he puts them out on an island & expects them to win 1 on 1 every time, there's no stacked or bunched formations, no picks & rub routes, no quick slants. He said Daboll mixed those things in. I watched this last game & sure enough Greg was right. Hopefully Dorsey is learning & starts scheming the slit guys open more.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Agree, I think the same play with Cook gives us the two points there.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.