Week 12: Bills at Lions on Thanksgiving

YoloinOhio

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

It would take an effort like what you describe for him to even re-enter the conversation at all.

Mahomes is the runaway favorite at the moment, with Tagovailoa having the second best odds and Josh in third.

Unless Josh turns his statistical production around quickly, he's not in the race at all.

How many league MVPs have won a Super Bowl on the same year?

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

How many league MVPs have won a Super Bowl on the same year?

Only 10. The last one was Kurt Warner in 1999.

EDIT: interestingly, Tom Brady has won the MVP three times. In two of those years he lost to the Giants in the SB and in the other one he lost to the Jets in the divisional round.

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I agree.  I fully expected them to take a WR in the 2nd round to make up for Beasley's departure.

This is hindsight of course, but I wish we could have traded up for Pickens.  Have been impressed by what I've seen of him.

But overall to your point....since Beane took over, the offensive picks in the first 3 rounds are Cody Ford, Spencer Brown, and 3 RBs.  Two of those 5 players are no longer in the building.

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Statistically, the Bills defense has been very good when Gilliam has been in

I’m assuming you meant offense…

I have no problem with gilliam.  I’m all about switching up formations and giving different looks.  Keeping the D honest.  I just think that group of playmakers could create serious problem.  

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This is scaring me to death. 

I hope Josh and Von Roten are working overtime on that QB center exchange, because if Josh didn't have good hands and great reflexes, his 3 fumbles in the MIA game woulda been worse.

Just now, NewEra said:

I’m assuming you meant offense…

I have no problem with gilliam.  I’m all about switching up formations and giving different looks.  Keeping the D honest.  I just think that group of playmakers could create serious problem.  

Yeah I did, Thanks.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I hope Josh and Von Roten are working overtime on that QB center exchange, because if Josh didn't have good hands and great reflexes, his 3 fumbles in the MIA game woulda been worse.

Yeah I did, Thanks.

Bates was snapping the ball to Allen during media viewing portion 

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah I did, Thanks.

If you scroll up, Josh was taking snaps from Bates in practice today.

15 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Was Quessenberry at RG?

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This is hindsight of course, but I wish we could have traded up for Pickens.  Have been impressed by what I've seen of him.

But overall to your point....since Beane took over, the offensive picks in the first 3 rounds are Cody Ford, Spencer Brown, and 3 RBs.  Two of those 5 players are no longer in the building.

Beane did draft Allen and traded for Diggs but I see your point.  Really need to keep the WR room loaded as long as 17 is around.

Edited by DCbillsfan

4 hours ago, Logic said:

My main critique of Dorsey so far is that he doesn't seem to know how to get the most out of the Bills' complementary pieces.

With Daboll, I felt like he used every single tool in the tool chest. He had plays for Diggs, plays for Beasley, plays for McKenzie...we even had third string tight ends and swing tackles catching touchdowns.

With Dorsey...I don't get that feeling. 

My concern started with the lack of usage of James Cook in the passing game. Rookie or not, he was brought in to be an explosive addition as a pass catcher. Even now that he's finally starting to get some usage, it looks like he just runs the same plays as Singletary. The lack of creativity in the usage of Cook, which has now extended to the lack of creativity so far in the usage of Hines, is confounding. 

In Cook, Hines, and McKenzie, the Bills have quite a bit of speed and explosiveness. For an offense that has lacked punch the past several weeks, speed and explosiveness seem like much needed commodities. And yet, week after week, I don't see many/any manufactured touches for these guys. It's not rocket surgery. As others have said, the McDaniels and Shanahans and Reids of the world don't seem to have an issue getting the ball into the fast guys' hands.

I'll give Dorsey credit for one thing that he's better at than Daboll, seemingly: Getting the ball to Stefon Diggs no matter what the defense is doing. Too often under Daboll, Diggs would all but disappear for whole games. That doesn't seem to happen any more. The way that Diggs is moved around the formation and seems all but immune to being erased now is awesome. It's the usage of the REST of the offensive skill weapons that has been lacking.

Unbelievably well said.  I can't for the life of me figure out why sometimes it just seems like Dorsey either refuses or just plumb forgets that he has three sub 4.3 - 4.4 chess pieces at his disposal.  For all the maddening things McKenzie does, his speed is flat out undeniable.  He, Cook AND Hines all have that extra gear that Dorsey should be able to utilize more. I know it's not as simple as I make it out to be, but there's got to be a way to dial up at least two to three plays a game for each of them....not only would it keep defenses honest to a certain degree but it would also take even more of the pressure off Josh.  Detroit's D is bottom of the league in pretty much all categories, IMO this would be the game to unleash them.... 

17 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

16 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

If you scroll up, Josh was taking snaps from Bates in practice today.

I'd say "Good" because I thought Bates did a perfectly capable job at center when he's gotten the chance, but then who plays RG and what effect does that have on the running game, which finally looked as though it were getting tuned up?

Edited by Beck Water

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'd say "Good" because I thought Bates did a perfectly capable job at center when he's gotten the chance, but then who plays RG and what effect does that have on the running game, which finally looked as though it were getting tuned up?

It looked like 75 Van Roten was at RG in the short clip shown up thread.  I think Quessenberry would get the start at RG if Bates at C.

4 hours ago, Logic said:

My main critique of Dorsey so far is that he doesn't seem to know how to get the most out of the Bills' complementary pieces.

With Daboll, I felt like he used every single tool in the tool chest. He had plays for Diggs, plays for Beasley, plays for McKenzie...we even had third string tight ends and swing tackles catching touchdowns.

With Dorsey...I don't get that feeling. 

My concern started with the lack of usage of James Cook in the passing game. Rookie or not, he was brought in to be an explosive addition as a pass catcher. Even now that he's finally starting to get some usage, it looks like he just runs the same plays as Singletary. The lack of creativity in the usage of Cook, which has now extended to the lack of creativity so far in the usage of Hines, is confounding. 

In Cook, Hines, and McKenzie, the Bills have quite a bit of speed and explosiveness. For an offense that has lacked punch the past several weeks, speed and explosiveness seem like much needed commodities. And yet, week after week, I don't see many/any manufactured touches for these guys. It's not rocket surgery. As others have said, the McDaniels and Shanahans and Reids of the world don't seem to have an issue getting the ball into the fast guys' hands.

I'll give Dorsey credit for one thing that he's better at than Daboll, seemingly: Getting the ball to Stefon Diggs no matter what the defense is doing. Too often under Daboll, Diggs would all but disappear for whole games. That doesn't seem to happen any more. The way that Diggs is moved around the formation and seems all but immune to being erased now is awesome. It's the usage of the REST of the offensive skill weapons that has been lacking.

8 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Unbelievably well said.  I can't for the life of me figure out why sometimes it just seems like Dorsey either refuses or just plumb forgets that he has three sub 4.3 - 4.4 chess pieces at his disposal.  For all the maddening things McKenzie does, his speed is flat out undeniable.  He, Cook AND Hines all have that extra gear that Dorsey should be able to utilize more. I know it's not as simple as I make it out to be, but there's got to be a way to dial up at least two to three plays a game for each of them....not only would it keep defenses honest to a certain degree but it would also take even more of the pressure off Josh.  Detroit's D is bottom of the league in pretty much all categories, IMO this would be the game to unleash them.... 

Not saying this is wrong, but can recall similar comments made about Daboll too.  Many posters wanted to run him out of town the 1st couple of years.  Admittedly we didn't have an overall roster nearly as strong as we do now either.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.