Week 12: Bills at Lions on Thanksgiving

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I would have thought that the Bills would have retained 'home' status (including locker room) despite the move of the game.

Taking the visitors' locker room was McDermott's choice yesterday.  He did it knowing the Bills would be visitors on Thanksgiving.  It gave the Bills players a chance to get comfortable with it. It's a small thing, but McDermott looks for any edge he can get.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

Funny that Josh in his 5th year is playing in his 3rd Thanksgiving game, but Kelly in his entire career only played in 1. 

It’s not your fathers NFL anymore, this is the fantasy football league era. 
Kelly and those Bills teams would’ve feasted heavily though!!

*hopefully some will get the “not your fathers Oldsmobile” reference.. buncha geezers here I know.

Edited by WyoAZBillfan

7 hours ago, CSBill said:

Josh Allen is undefeated on Thanksgiving, 2-0. He will be 3-0 this Thursday at 4:00 PM.

Yea don't try to keep the big strong farm boy away from getting his turkey leg after victory.   Hopefully a easy win but most importantly one with no injuries.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Wow, after reading some of the threads on page 1 today, I would have thought the Bills lost the game to the Browns.

So, it's on to the Lions, and what are we supposed to worry about.

The one thing I have noticed in the Browns game was that Josh has reverted some to his poor platforms when he throws.

A number of plays he had the "happy feet" and is not setting his feet.  When he did this in the past his passes tended to

be high and without a lot of touch.  I could speculate that it might be caused by indecision.  It was better in the 2nd half with

some check downs and some TE swing throws.  Please Dorsey, keep taking what the D gives you to get Josh comfy again.

I hope he can clean that up again.  Even if he doesn't, I'll take the Bills giving up 10.

I think there’s this notion floating around that the lions offense is way better than the browns but it’s really not true.  

cleveland is 4th in the league in ypg and detroit is 6th so pretty similar.  Not to mention brissett was excellent yesterday in a way that I don’t think Goff is even capable of.  The ball placement on some of those throws in tight coverage was really impressive 

Detroit is basically Cleveland with a worse defensive line and we get a full week of practice this time 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Worstcaseontario said:

us canadians have a different thanksgiving day but for the last 2 years ive tagged along for this one and cooked turkey dinner, the bills have won when ive done this so im once again cooking turkey thursday.

Just don't freak out and go throwing a turkey there Ricky...

DazzlingGenuineHartebeest-max-1mb.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

The Bills will have one practice session this week like last week.  The difference is last week was not planned.  The Bills practice on Thursday and expected to practice Friday.  The weather forced a cancelation of the Friday practice.  I suspect the format of the Tuesday practice will be a little different to cope with the fact that it is the only one.  Specifically, since Josh is another week removed from his elbow injury, the number of pass attempts in practice will go up compared to last week when they were reduced as a precaution to prevent reaggravating the injury.  I think the limited number of passing attempts in practice last week is at least partially the cause of his tentativeness and inaccuracy at the start of the Cleveland game.  

After listening to Coach's presser, it sounded like:

Likely out this week: Edmunds, AJ

Likely to return: Elam

Limited/lean toward playing: Morse, Quessenberry

Limited/likely more questionable: Groot

Complete unknown: Tre

Always tough playing on a short week, hopefully can get Klein up to speed quickly and get Elam/Morse/Quessenberry healthy enough to play.

Groot would be a bonus, but I could see us calling up a P/S def end this week...also be interesting how they handle Gentry/Rhodes (each have just 1 callup remaining).  Speedy also has to be close to playing, activating him this week could be something to watch.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

After listening to Coach's presser, it sounded like:

Likely out this week: Edmunds, AJ

Likely to return: Elam

Limited/lean toward playing: Morse, Quessenberry

Limited/likely more questionable: Groot

Complete unknown: Tre

Always tough playing on a short week, hopefully can get Klein up to speed quickly and get Elam/Morse/Quessenberry healthy enough to play.

Groot would be a bonus, but I could see us calling up a P/S def end this week...also be interesting how they handle Gentry/Rhodes (each have just 1 callup remaining).  Speedy also has to be close to playing, activating him this week could be something to watch.

Edmunds another game? What is that 3.5 games missed this year? That’s a significant amount of time missed. 

Everyone pissing and moaning about Tre (myself included 😂), but at least we know what we get from Tre (or at least old Tre anyway). He’s got “skins on the wall” as they say and he’s earned the benefit of the doubt/patience with me.

Epenesa on the other hand is looking more and more like a terrible busted pick. Injuries happen, but even without the injury the guy was basically invisible. Not breaking any news here, but you need more than making one or two plays a year out of a second round pick. Boogie Basham is trending the same way. We have to start hitting on these second rounders. Especially, those at defensive positions taken at the expense of upgrading the offense for Josh (yes, I know we took Cook this year). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Josh is back. I heard it click when he hit Gabe with that beautiful crosser.

That first quarter was 80% in his head, 20% thinking of the elbow. The guy was second guessing what he was seeing because I’m sure McD made it clear no turnovers was the goal. Unfortunately you can’t play scared, especially a guy like Josh, but he had the mental fortitude to turn it around IN GAME and straighten his head out. No, he didn’t go bombs away after that, he didn’t need to. He moved the chains, hit his check downs quicker, and took what the D gave him. We needed a game where Josh didn’t need to be THE MAN and we still win comfortably (despite Mr. Inconsistent Gabe on the HANDS team). The team needed to see that when their QB isn’t 100% they can rally around and still win the game. That’s huge and will pay dividends in the future. I expect a similar game from Josh against the Lions with a few more deep shots off of play action especially if we can establish the run again.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Jerry Jacobs, Mike Hughes, and Amani Oruwariye will be the top corners for the Lions with Okudah out of action and they’ll have their hands full with the Bills offense in a few days

Hughes is the CB that was with KC in playoff game that fell down on the skinny post by Gabe Davis for the TD with under 2 minutes to go on 4th down that gave us the first lead late in that game.  He and Davis were teammates at UCF btw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

21 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Josh is back. I heard it click when he hit Gabe with that beautiful crosser.

That first quarter was 80% in his head, 20% thinking of the elbow. The guy was second guessing what he was seeing because I’m sure McD made it clear no turnovers was the goal. Unfortunately you can’t play scared, especially a guy like Josh, but he had the mental fortitude to turn it around IN GAME and straighten his head out. No, he didn’t go bombs away after that, he didn’t need to. He moved the chains, hit his check downs quicker, and took what the D gave him. We needed a game where Josh didn’t need to be THE MAN and we still win comfortably (despite Mr. Inconsistent Gabe on the HANDS team). The team needed to see that when their QB isn’t 100% they can rally around and still win the game. That’s huge and will pay dividends in the future. I expect a similar game from Josh against the Lions with a few more deep shots off of play action especially if we can establish the run again.

well, he did finish 14/17 for 170 and a TD after the 1st half 2 min warning

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.