It appears the average full recovery time for herniated disk surgery is about 8 weeks…

dollars 2 donuts

Not a doctor, not claiming to be and also not judging.  I know you don’t fool around with this stuff.

They know a lot and I know next to nothing.

…now that’s out of the way I was disappointed that they put Hyde on IR so quickly and we’re so concerned with next Bill up and filling spots.

Forgive me, but as fired up as I was about the season then to lose Hyde seemed to portend not only other bad luck things for this team in the future, but gave me that same sick feeling when we lost Tre…that feeling of, “I love this team, they’re great, but this one is going to matter greatly with respect to going forward to the ultimate goal.”

It has been 53 days since Hyde’s successful September 29th surgery. 8 weeks is Thanksgiving, and the next game would be the following Thursday against New England.

I know it’s the neck, but it wasn’t a leg injury where the actual tracking and ability of the skill of the player would be impaired, especially after recovery.

Safety comes first.  Caution is king.  

…but medicine and history matter, too.

The Patriots game is 9 weeks from surgery. Getting a sense now, weeks later, and then putting him on IR if things weren’t going well given the recovery time wasn’t that long and the risk in waiting would have been fine, but that’s just me.

Training camp is going to start roughly 40 weeks after surgery.

Go Bills.

EDIT: before any responses have come in, respectfully, as you read the above please remember that I indicated you could put him on IR now…possibly even sooner.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 1

I think you’re on to something here.  Doesn’t take a genius to imagine the cost savings that can be had here by firing the medical staff and replacing them with average recovery times per Google, not to mention the added convenience of knowing weeks in advance exactly when your players will be available again.  I don’t want you to get too excited but I reckon you can bank on a Nobel peace prize. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Chewmylegoff said:

I think you’re on to something here.  Doesn’t take a genius to imagine the cost savings that can be had here by firing the medical staff and replacing them with average recovery times per Google, not to mention the added convenience of knowing weeks in advance exactly when your players will be available again.  I don’t want you to get too excited but I reckon you can bank on a Nobel peace prize. 

Oh come on now, Chewie, it was just a message board text and although I would be honored by a Nobel Prize I think that is blowing things way out of proportion, but thank you.

I don’t need the high praise of the European elites when I am quite content with the goofs on I get here, all with narrow vision to the caveats indicated in the post. There I’d have to wait weeks and months.  Here I just need the early morning coffee drinkers and surfers feeling so outraged and having access to a keyboard.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t even understand why we have these absurd IR rules. Why can’t they just put guys on “IR” on a weekly basis and use that roster spot, and then activate them if/when healthy? 

They can... there is no designation for season-ending IR. The limits are only 8 players can come back from IR. Also, it's a minimum of 4 weeks on IR and once the player starts practicing must be activated within 4 weeks. The only time it goes to season ending is if they come back and in that 4 week window of activation, they have a set back and can't make it back... then it's season ending.

I believe that's the rules.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

They can... there is no designation for season-ending IR. The limits are only 8 players can come back from IR. Also, it's a minimum of 4 weeks on IR and once the player starts practicing must be activated within 4 weeks. The only time it goes to season ending is if they come back and in that 4 week window of activation, they have a set back and can't make it back... then it's season ending.

I believe that's the rules.

This is correct. The IR rules have completely changed, but I don’t think a lot of fans are aware of it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Can you call Beane and let him know?   For some reason the bills have not done their research on this and think he is done for the year.   I am sure they will be delighted he can play next week. 

Yes…and that research all came pretty darn quickly.

However, if memory serves he did get a second opinion.

maybe the bills were optimistic and the second doctor said f that, shut it down?

again…my caveats were all placed in my post.  There wasn’t a lot of asking, by anyone, afterwards.

24 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t even understand why we have these absurd IR rules. Why can’t they just put guys on “IR” on a weekly basis and use that roster spot, and then activate them if/when healthy? 

they’ve loosened them.  Could they be even loser?  Maybe.

26 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Nothing is free but you can assuming you sit the four games.  You also cannot practice for those four games.  You also take on more cap because you have more guys to pay with the new signings, it all adds up. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Not a doctor, not claiming to be and also not judging.  I know you don’t fool around with this stuff.

…now that’s out of the way I was disappointed that they put Hyde on IR so quickly and we’re so concerned with next Bill up and filling spots.

Forgive me, but as fired up as I was about the season then to lose Hyde seemed to portend not only other bad luck things for this team in the future, but gave me that same sick feeling when we lost Tre…that feeling of, “I love this team, they’re great, but this one is going to matter greatly with respect to going forward to the ultimate goal.”

It has been 53 days since Hyde’s successful September 29th surgery. 8 weeks is Thanksgiving, and the next game would be the following Thursday against New England.

I know it’s the neck, but it wasn’t a leg injury where the actual tracking and ability of the skill of the player would be impaired, especially after recovery.

The Patriots game is 9 weeks from surgery. Getting a sense now, weeks later, and then putting him on IR if things weren’t going well given the recovery time wasn’t that long and the risk in waiting would have been fine, but that’s just me.

Go Bills.

EDIT: before any responses have come in, respectfully, as you read the above please remember that I indicated you could put him on IR now…possibly even sooner.

If he was ready he could come off IR any time...

A player can be reactivated off IR once during the season after sitting for a minimum of 4 weeks.  He's not coming back this year because he's not going to be physically ready, not because of any IR rules.

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Go Bills.

You do know this year, up to 8 players on IR can be re-activated after 4 games?

So placing Hyde on IR did not preclude returning him to play this season.

That said...I think there's "recovery" and "ready to play football recovery", and the conclusion that the neck and shoulder area are not, somehow, as critical to the play of a tackling player as his legs kind of boggles my mind a bit. 

For most of us, "recovery" might mean "I can go home, bathe and dress, drive, walk around, and sit in a desk chair".  That's probably your 8 weeks, and Hyde if anything is probably ahead of schedule as witness his return to the Bills facility a couple weeks ago. 

For football players, recovery means after they get to that point, the hard work of strengthening all the supporting structures of the neck, shoulder, and back to prevent future re-injury may begin.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chewmylegoff said:

I believe an AMA award more appropriately fits here.

With that said, Just about everyting on this board is scutinized or questioned. So, in my opinion it's a fair question. Probably extenuating circumstances we're not aware of. Or simply, more time is needed for contact sports. But, since we're all lounge-chair QBs, coaches, doctors and lawyers, let's toss it up and bat it around. 

I'm thinking it's what looks to be McDermott's return-to-play formula: Game-Play = normal recover time + ~30% (with a 50% margin of error). We'll call it the Tre standard. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.