It appears the average full recovery time for herniated disk surgery is about 8 weeks…

dollars 2 donuts

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

They can... there is no designation for season-ending IR. The limits are only 8 players can come back from IR. Also, it's a minimum of 4 weeks on IR and once the player starts practicing must be activated within 4 weeks. The only time it goes to season ending is if they come back and in that 4 week window of activation, they have a set back and can't make it back... then it's season ending.

I believe that's the rules.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

This is correct. The IR rules have completely changed, but I don’t think a lot of fans are aware of it.

I get that they changed the rules to 4 weeks. But why even that? This year across the league has shown that there has to be more flex on injuries. 

26 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I get that they changed the rules to 4 weeks. But why even that? This year across the league has shown that there has to be more flex on injuries. 

I suppose it's for player safety? It's something the league bargained with the NFLPA, so maybe they said if it's long enough to keep someone out, might as well be for a period of time they can recover.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It is 6-9 months 

Thanks,the OP is ridiculous and he obviously didn't do any real research. Hyde has had several (4?) previous neck injuries and I would not be surprised if he retires.

And,no,I have no source for that, I just wonder if he will take the risk. Curious how this is covered in his contract.

Edited by Herb Nightly

10 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

I believe an AMA award more appropriately fits here.

With that said, Just about everyting on this board is scutinized or questioned. So, in my opinion it's a fair question. Probably extenuating circumstances we're not aware of. Or simply, more time is needed for contact sports. But, since we're all lounge-chair QBs, coaches, doctors and lawyers, let's toss it up and bat it around. 

I'm thinking it's what looks to be McDermott's return-to-play formula: Game-Play = normal recover time + ~30% (with a 50% margin of error). We'll call it the Tre standard

I prefer the "Pile 'O Money Corollary"

8 hours ago, boyst said:

@Royale with Cheese ruptured his back the same time I did roughly

He needed surgery. I only did epidurals. 

I was recommended 18 mos of light exercise. I chose 10 months with a lot of precautions, weekly bodywork, etc. 

The lumbar spine is much different than the cervical spine. 

I got my first epidural in August 2021.  After 3 of them, they weren’t working so I had surgery in November.  

By March, I was back on the mats light rolling.  Full go around April.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.