Bills break the Buffalo sports schneid

buffblue

Beyond our team breaking a two game losing streak, the Bills victory today was significant for local sports as it ended a brutal stretch of losses for Buffalo teams. Consider as of November 2nd:

The UB Bulls football team was in 1st place in the MAC East division. They have since lost two in a row and lost any chance of a spot in the championship game.

The Sabres were 7-3 and in 2nd place in the NHL Eastern Conference. They have now lost eight in a row (all in regulation) and are 14th with one game extra played over 15th and 16th.

The Bills were 6-1 and in 1st place in the AFC. They had lost two in a row until today's victory and dropped to 3rd in the division and 6th in the AFC.

Hell, even UB Basketball has started 1-4 to begin the season.

That's 1-16 for Buffalo sports prior to the win over the Browns today. I realize not everyone on here follows teams other than the Bills, but man did Buffalo get a much needed win.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree.  I'm not a big hockey fan, but I do root for the Sabres, and did notice them doing well early on this season. I get the push notifications on my phone so I see the final score every night they play....and I couldn't help but think to myself, "damn, how many in a row have they lost??".  So thanks for filling me in....

It may not have been the prettiest win today, and yes, left alot to be desired, but for everything this team has had to go through this past week, and particularly the past 48 hours, I'm damn proud of them.  And this victory is as satisfying as any other this year...at least to me.  

• Agree 3

18 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I agree.  I'm not a big hockey fan, but I do root for the Sabres, and did notice them doing well early on this season. I get the push notifications on my phone so I see the final score every night they play....and I couldn't help but think to myself, "damn, how many in a row have they lost??".  So thanks for filling me in....

It may not have been the prettiest win today, and yes, left alot to be desired, but for everything this team has had to go through this past week, and particularly the past 48 hours, I'm damn proud of them.  And this victory is as satisfying as any other this year...at least to me.  

No problem, and I agree with you. Today was a huge win for the Bills. I went into the game thinking "I don't care how ugly it is, just get a W" and thankfully they did. Big difference between 7-3 and 6-4.

If Buffalo could somehow get healthy on defense, the sky is still the limit. Best point differential in the league by a good bit even after several bad weeks.

• Agree 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

I know pretty close to nothing about the Sabres...

But I pity their fans..

They are the Kings of October. Start out like gangbusters every year then crap the bed lol. The 11 year playoff drought is arguably more pathetic than the 
Bills 17 years since it is much easier to make the playoffs in the NHL

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I know pretty close to nothing about the Sabres...

But I pity their fans..

Don't pity us... the Sabres when Hasek played were just INSANE and those were some damn good years. Any assemblance of the old Sabres died in the Game 7 ECF against the Canes in 2006.

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Don't pity us... the Sabres when Hasek played were just INSANE and those were some damn good years. Any assemblance of the old Sabres died in the Game 7 ECF against the Canes in 2006.

That 05-06 season was like the 1990 Bills. They were without question the best team in the sport and still nearly won despite their whole defense being injured

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

No problem, and I agree with you. Today was a huge win for the Bills. I went into the game thinking "I don't care how ugly it is, just get a W" and thankfully they did. Big difference between 7-3 and 6-4.

If Buffalo could somehow get healthy on defense, the sky is still the limit. Best point differential in the league by a good bit even after several bad weeks.

I know this sounds pretty obvious, but 7-3 just looks so much better than 6-4!!  Seriously, if we would've lost today, I might've called in sick tomorrow.  My boss is tiny little elf of a Jets fan, and I don't think I would've been able to bear hearing his mouth for 8 or 9 hours....

Getting healthy......I honestly have forgotten what that looks like.  I was saying in another thread, I can't recall a season, ever, in our team's history that we've had to deal with this many injuries.  I mean the fact that we are 7-3 to me is nothing short of a miracle.  I feel like hoping our team gets healthy, or close to 100%, is more like a pipe dream at this point. And to hear that Morse AND Epenesa were both in walking boots after the game only frustrates me even more.  Fingers crossed it's just for protective measures, but luck hasnt been on our side when it comes to injuries this season.  

1 hour ago, buffblue said:

That 05-06 season was like the 1990 Bills. They were without question the best team in the sport and still nearly won despite their whole defense being injured

I don't think I have ever witnessed a hockey game more great than the Sabres/Senators game where Drury won it in OT... to me that was the Sabres at their best. BEST GAME EVER that I witnessed IMHO.... 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I don't think I have ever witnessed a hockey game more great than the Sabres/Senators game where Drury won it in OT... to me that was the Sabres at their best. BEST GAME EVER that I witnessed IMHO.... 

Oh man, I one hundred percent agree with you. Buffalo was down 5 different times in that game and kept coming back. Still to this day the most exciting hockey game I've ever seen and quote possibly the best game in Sabres history

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, buffblue said:

Oh man, I one hundred percent agree with you. Buffalo was down 5 different times in that game and kept coming back. Still to this day the most exciting hockey game I've ever seen and quote possibly the best game in Sabres history

I never got to see the game winner in the 4 OT game vs. the Devils when Hannan scored and that classic call "THE SERIES IS GOING BACK TO WHERE JIMMY HOFFA IS!" I was up late late watching the CNN sports ticker to see the score and it stayed at 0-0 until after 2am.

Nobody will understand that kind of dedication now... you either had the game on nationally, locally, or not at all in 1994.

I did get to see the Plante OT goal vs. the Senators though.... at an airport bar in Charlotte, NC LOL

4 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I never got to see the game winner in the 4 OT game vs. the Devils when Hannan scored and that classic call "THE SERIES IS GOING BACK TO WHERE JIMMY HOFFA IS!" I was up late late watching the CNN sports ticker to see the score and it stayed at 0-0 until after 2am.

Nobody will understand that kind of dedication now... you either had the game on nationally, locally, or not at all in 1994.

I did get to see the Plante OT goal vs. the Senators though.... at an airport bar in Charlotte, NC LOL

Saw the Plante goal, not the Hannan goal though I watched much of the game. Neither compares to the Sabres Sens game 1. The CBC HNIC highlights with Bob Cole on YouTube are just awesome

10 hours ago, buffblue said:

Beyond our team breaking a two game losing streak, the Bills victory today was significant for local sports as it ended a brutal stretch of losses for Buffalo teams. Consider as of November 2nd:

The UB Bulls football team was in 1st place in the MAC East division. They have since lost two in a row and lost any chance of a spot in the championship game.

The Sabres were 7-3 and in 2nd place in the NHL Eastern Conference. They have now lost eight in a row (all in regulation) and are 14th with one game extra played over 15th and 16th.

The Bills were 6-1 and in 1st place in the AFC. They had lost two in a row until today's victory and dropped to 3rd in the division and 6th in the AFC.

Hell, even UB Basketball has started 1-4 to begin the season.

That's 1-16 for Buffalo sports prior to the win over the Browns today. I realize not everyone on here follows teams other than the Bills, but man did Buffalo get a much needed win.

Yes, the start of November has been horrible for Buffalo.  To top it off, I’m a Golden St Warriors fan and they started off the month with a 5 game Eastern road trip and lost all 5.  Fortunately they’re doing better now.

If only they could’ve pulled off the win at Minny. The Chiefs win against LA aided by timely flags all but screwed our chances at the 1 seed. Still possible, but not likely. Just go out there and handle business. The cards will fall as they may, but damn 8-2 would’ve had Buffalo sitting pretty… 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.