Shout out to McDermott from a skeptic

Ethan in Cleveland

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

To be fair … Before his miracle catch at the end of the game

He only had like a few catches after his insane start to the game… 

We schemed to take him out

Well you can’t SELECT which catches you want to consider. 193 yards , career high so far , is not taking him out. Diggs hasn’t had that much yardage in a game , or if he did he surely wouldn’t br complaining on the sideline to Mcd!  That is being fair!  Lol. If that’s our best d scheme to take him out we are really going no where.  He did get taken out by Dallas today tho. That’s he same argument everybody uses about the run D ; well , if you take away the 81 yard td run our run defense was fantastic. Unfortunately there is a thing called a scoreboard and it isn’t selective about what counts. Why not just discount a whole quater, I’m sure our d would look great!  

Not being argumentative, but teams are scheming to take Diggs away and it’s working more as we go along. I’m just saying dorsey meeds to scheme more with motion , like today he put Diggs in the backfield and the Browns immediately burned a time out because they Chas no scheme for that.  So Dorsey needs to be more proactive with formations , motion which are much harder to cover Diggs and then he won’t have to complain to Mcd    We have to do more as our other receivers, esp Davis withal 17% drop rate , are so far disappointing and unproductive. How much productivity did we get from the slot or McKenzie today?  Zip as far as I know. That’s not a successful offense. Kc is the model of success, winning another from behind, and we better be able to out score them. 😊👍

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Sorry man, I'm not buying that you are a McD skeptic. 

The interaction between Diggs and McD clearly showed that the two have a mutual respect for one another. No one here really ever questions the character of McD. He's likeable and is a man of character. 

On the other hand, I think it's important to talk about the build up prior to the

Diggs/ McD interaction. What caused Diggs to come face to face with McD? Was McD close to losing the team? Why wasn't Diggs being targeted more? What was the Bills game plan? Why did the Bills look so off for almost all of the first half? Were the Bills flat? How prepared and motivated did they look? How much of their ineffectiveness falls on the Bills coaching, schemes, and play calling? 

The Bills looked terrible for the first quarter and most of the second quarter. Coaching which includes McD absolutely deserves plenty of blame for this. The season was on the verge of being lost and McD was probably close to losing the player's confidence. With that being said, you have to give the coaching staff its positives for coming out of halftime and dominating the game. Both sides of the ball played pretty well. Fraizer's defensive scheme to take Chubb out of play was a present surprise. Dorsey staying committed to the run was a welcome sight. 

Today was a mixed bag for sure. I'll take the win under the difficult circumstances. The Bills were very fortunate to play the Browns who aren't good.  Credit the Bills for closing the door. A little dose of reality now. This team in its current state isn't a top tier team. Not even close. The injuries are just crippling an otherwise fantastic roster. Can you imagine the defense with Hyde, Poyer, Edmunds, Rousseau, and Tre? Not going to happen. Allen is not the elite QB we saw last year. I am hoping that guy returns asap. We have a consecutive 4 game sample of Allen's mediocrity. It's not all on him as the WR core is inconsistent minus Diggs, inconsistent run game, new OC Dorsey, and Oline issues. 

In summary, I'm very happy with the Dubb. It's what the team needed. A loss would have been almost devastating. At the same time, I'm beginning to think the Super Bowl hopes are more fantasy than reality. Not giving up hope. Can't believe the Bills are 7-3 and I'm saying this. Look forward to others thoughts. 

It’s not every week your team gets snowed in and can’t practice and also has to get flown out to Detroit to play what was supposed to be a home game. They looked a little sloppy, sure, but cut them aokw

slack for the extenuating circumstances.

Also dunno if you saw the graphic early in the game that showed the Browns with a large positive score differential in the first quarter and then it all goes down from there. 

Maybe McDermott knew it might start rough but he knows they will figure it out. His players may not always make the plays, but I know he puts them in a position to make them. 

57 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Well you can’t SELECT which catches you want to consider. 193 yards , career high so far , is not taking him out. Diggs hasn’t had that much yardage in a game , or if he did he surely wouldn’t br complaining on the sideline to Mcd!  That is being fair!  Lol. If that’s our best d scheme to take him out we are really going no where.  He did get taken out by Dallas today tho. That’s he same argument everybody uses about the run D ; well , if you take away the 81 yard td run our run defense was fantastic. Unfortunately there is a thing called a scoreboard and it isn’t selective about what counts. Why not just discount a whole quater, I’m sure our d would look great!  

Not being argumentative, but teams are scheming to take Diggs away and it’s working more as we go along. I’m just saying dorsey meeds to scheme more with motion , like today he put Diggs in the backfield and the Browns immediately burned a time out because they Chas no scheme for that.  So Dorsey needs to be more proactive with formations , motion which are much harder to cover Diggs and then he won’t have to complain to Mcd    We have to do more as our other receivers, esp Davis withal 17% drop rate , are so far disappointing and unproductive. How much productivity did we get from the slot or McKenzie today?  Zip as far as I know. That’s not a successful offense. Kc is the model of success, winning another from behind, and we better be able to out score them. 😊👍

Diggs has the 3rd most yardage in the league on less targets than the two guys in front of him.  He also has the third most TDs in the league. 1st in 40+ yard catches. 3rd in receptions for first downs.  I think he gets plenty.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Great points about Mcd and I agree!  But unless he can get Dorsey to step up with more creativity , this roster isn’t  Super Bowl bound. 6 fgs won’t keep cutting it and it’s a critical sign the red zone offense is ineffective. Can’t have your #1 reciever almost totally taken out of a game ,; didn’t happen  to Jefferson did it from the Vikings?  Dorsey did some better with run game today , but he hasn’t gotten creative with Hines at all and route tree is terrible with poor spacing. Receivers aren’t open.  Mcd did save the season for  the moment , but Thursday  is still critical and after watching how Reid is so creative  with his offense and use of young players , unless Mcd can bring more out of Dorsey, I fear we won’t win the East or move on in the playoffs as a wildcard. Chiefs are once again holding on to home field and we know how that goes if we have to go there twice in a year. 

injuries on D are killing this team so it comes down to maximizing our O production. If Mcd can get that across to Dorsey , and there are some signs he did as Dorsey stuck with run game today, we may have a chance. They have to solve these red zone issues tho. But like you pointed out , Mcd was masterful today , saved this game , and we still have a chance. Many  analysts are picking fins to win the East now , Bills to be a 4 or lower seed and if that happens despite todays great Mcd performance , it might be a failed, wasted year.   Hoping Mcd can have his best year , and not be outperformed by a first year coach Lin Miami. Let’s see how Mcd gets us thru Thanksgiving, as Detroit comes in on a 3 game winning streak. Another huge challenge , let’s go Bills! 

Good points DrPJax.  The narrative of the season is definitely changed.  Who would have thought we would be fighting for a division championship after starting 6-1.  The division is much better then expected.  And every game (including this Thursday against Detroit) will be very competitive.  But that's fine.  That's how it should be.  You want to be a champion, you need to beat everyone in your way, home and away.  

The injuries on the defense have really been devastating and taken some of the juice out of the team.  But if we can get a few guys back.  (Rousseau, Edmunds and Elam.  Maybe White, who the hell knows what happens there.  And keep Poyer on the field.)  We can still beat anybody on any given Sunday.  When Josh is on there is noone better.  And Milano is playing as well as any defender in the league.  We need other guys to step up each week.  And I think they will.  McDermott did a real good job keeping things together in a tough situation w the snowstorm and a tough start to the game yesterday.  Kudos to him.  But he and the coaches need to continue to live in the moment and be creative w our playmakers each week.  Hines and Cook can both be bigtime playmakers, and need to be used as such.  

The Chiefs are good.  And have good coaching.  But we always match up well against them because we always seem to bring a little extra physicality against them.  And Josh is always dialed in against them, to bring his best.  We need to keep grinding every week, and gradually play better, play smarter, and coach better.  We have the horses.  Just have to be peaking as we get to January.  Hopefully Mcdermott gets that and sees the big picture on where we need to end up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.