Shout out to McDermott from a skeptic

Ethan in Cleveland

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Sorry man, I'm not buying that you are a McD skeptic. 

The interaction between Diggs and McD clearly showed that the two have a mutual respect for one another. No one here really ever questions the character of McD. He's likeable and is a man of character. 

On the other hand, I think it's important to talk about the build up prior to the

Diggs/ McD interaction. What caused Diggs to come face to face with McD? Was McD close to losing the team? Why wasn't Diggs being targeted more? What was the Bills game plan? Why did the Bills look so off for almost all of the first half? Were the Bills flat? How prepared and motivated did they look? How much of their ineffectiveness falls on the Bills coaching, schemes, and play calling? 

The Bills looked terrible for the first quarter and most of the second quarter. Coaching which includes McD absolutely deserves plenty of blame for this. The season was on the verge of being lost and McD was probably close to losing the player's confidence. With that being said, you have to give the coaching staff its positives for coming out of halftime and dominating the game. Both sides of the ball played pretty well. Fraizer's defensive scheme to take Chubb out of play was a present surprise. Dorsey staying committed to the run was a welcome sight. 

Today was a mixed bag for sure. I'll take the win under the difficult circumstances. The Bills were very fortunate to play the Browns who aren't good.  Credit the Bills for closing the door. A little dose of reality now. This team in its current state isn't a top tier team. Not even close. The injuries are just crippling an otherwise fantastic roster. Can you imagine the defense with Hyde, Poyer, Edmunds, Rousseau, and Tre? Not going to happen. Allen is not the elite QB we saw last year. I am hoping that guy returns asap. We have a consecutive 4 game sample of Allen's mediocrity. It's not all on him as the WR core is inconsistent minus Diggs, inconsistent run game, new OC Dorsey, and Oline issues. 

In summary, I'm very happy with the Dubb. It's what the team needed. A loss would have been almost devastating. At the same time, I'm beginning to think the Super Bowl hopes are more fantasy than reality. Not giving up hope. Can't believe the Bills are 7-3 and I'm saying this. Look forward to others thoughts. 

After what they dealt with this week and you expected them to come out and look amazing? Just delusional.

The last month they sucked?

The offense scored 27, 17, 30 and 31 points. Know how many other teams in the NFL would sign up for that right now? Probably about 25 of them 

Edited by Big Turk

The interaction between Diggs and McD clearly showed that the two have a mutual respect for one another. No one here really ever questions the character of McD. He's likeable and is a man of character. 

On the other hand, I think it's important to talk about the build up prior to the

Diggs/ McD interaction. What caused Diggs to come face to face with McD? Was McD close to losing the team? Why wasn't Diggs being targeted more? What was the Bills game plan? Why did the Bills look so off for almost all of the first half? Were the Bills flat? How prepared and motivated did they look? How much of their ineffectiveness falls on the Bills coaching, schemes, and play calling? 

The Bills looked terrible for the first quarter and most of the second quarter. Coaching which includes McD absolutely deserves plenty of blame for this. The season was on the verge of being lost and McD was probably close to losing the player's confidence. With that being said, you have to give the coaching staff its positives for coming out of halftime and dominating the game. Both sides of the ball played pretty well. Fraizer's defensive scheme to take Chubb out of play was a present surprise. Dorsey staying committed to the run was a welcome sight. 

Today was a mixed bag for sure. I'll take the win under the difficult circumstances. The Bills were very fortunate to play the Browns who aren't good.  Credit the Bills for closing the door. A little dose of reality now. This team in its current state isn't a top tier team. Not even close. The injuries are just crippling an otherwise fantastic roster. Can you imagine the defense with Hyde, Poyer, Edmunds, Rousseau, and Tre? Not going to happen. Allen is not the elite QB we saw last year. I am hoping that guy returns asap. We have a consecutive 4 game sample of Allen's mediocrity. It's not all on him as the WR core is inconsistent minus Diggs, inconsistent run game, new OC Dorsey, and Oline issues. 

In summary, I'm very happy with the Dubb. It's what the team needed. A loss would have been almost devastating. At the same time, I'm beginning to think the Super Bowl hopes are more fantasy than reality. Not giving up hope. Can't believe the Bills are 7-3 and I'm saying this. Look forward to others thoughts. 

No team looks unstoppable all four quarters of every game. During the game I said McD did not have them ready to play. But as the game evolved the team responded under adversity as well as it has in any game I can remember.  Yes it was the Browns but the Browns are closer to a 6-3 team than you think. 

Team did not play their best ball today, with that said you could tell Josh didn't want to force the ball.

He's placing ball security over everything else, whether that's from the coaching staff or himself.

I do feel like the win today may push the season back in the right direction. Could have easily laid down today, but they didnt.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

No team looks unstoppable all four quarters of every game. During the game I said McD did not have them ready to play. But as the game evolved the team responded under adversity as well as it has in any game I can remember.  Yes it was the Browns but the Browns are closer to a 6-3 team than you think. 

The real skeptics gonna call you out, bro!

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Today was a mixed bag for sure. I'll take the win under the difficult circumstances. The Bills were very fortunate to play the Browns who aren't good. 

I just don't think this stuff flies this year. There is no dominating team this year and things are flipping week to week. You can't just completely dismiss a conference team like this. Chubb is arguably the best back in the league and Myles Garrett can destroy a game by himself. They caught the Bengals sleeping several weeks ago, are we gonna really turn the mental gymnastics up and call Cincy a bad team too? Why weren't they fortunate when they got whupped by Cleveland?

Nobody is routing teams like the 2010 Patriots. I think the problem with you and others is that you feel Buffalo has to destroy teams week in and week out for it to seem real, but the fact is that nobody is doing that right now, and nobody has really done that for years. If the Bills beat a "bad" (not really) Detroit team this week and move to 8-3 they'll be just as much in the hunt as anybody despite all of these weird message board asterisks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Come on man this is pretty far out there.  McD is nowhere near losing the locker room.  This team barely had any practice this week at all.  Their practice walkthrough was a zoom meeting.  Their home game was taken from them by the weather and they scrambled just to get players out of their homes and to the airport in the last hour.  The D is decimated with injuries.  Josh hasnt thrown a ball in practice since his injury. Gimme a break with this.  This isnt normal for a game week at all and yet we won the damn game.

Edited by Scott7975

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think this was one of McDermott's finest moments.  I have long been a skeptic that he will be good enough to win a SB.  Today I thought there was a chance he could have lost the team and the season.  The defense was getting gashed and our superstar QB was playing scared.  The superstar WR was coming off the field obviously upset at how the game was going.  

His calm nature served the team well today.  Yes we all snipe at his clapping but it was precisely what the team needed today.  Instead of getting into a shouting match with Diggs or dismissing him to the bench, he spoke to him like an adult.  No one will know what was said, but you could tell from Diggs reaction he felt heard and understood.  That is a trademark of great leadership.  

When the Bills hoist the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year, the season recap will highlight this game and that moment that turned around the season!

Great points about Mcd and I agree!  But unless he can get Dorsey to step up with more creativity , this roster isn’t  Super Bowl bound. 6 fgs won’t keep cutting it and it’s a critical sign the red zone offense is ineffective. Can’t have your #1 reciever almost totally taken out of a game ,; didn’t happen  to Jefferson did it from the Vikings?  Dorsey did some better with run game today , but he hasn’t gotten creative with Hines at all and route tree is terrible with poor spacing. Receivers aren’t open.  Mcd did save the season for  the moment , but Thursday  is still critical and after watching how Reid is so creative  with his offense and use of young players , unless Mcd can bring more out of Dorsey, I fear we won’t win the East or move on in the playoffs as a wildcard. Chiefs are once again holding on to home field and we know how that goes if we have to go there twice in a year. 

injuries on D are killing this team so it comes down to maximizing our O production. If Mcd can get that across to Dorsey , and there are some signs he did as Dorsey stuck with run game today, we may have a chance. They have to solve these red zone issues tho. But like you pointed out , Mcd was masterful today , saved this game , and we still have a chance. Many  analysts are picking fins to win the East now , Bills to be a 4 or lower seed and if that happens despite todays great Mcd performance , it might be a failed, wasted year.   Hoping Mcd can have his best year , and not be outperformed by a first year coach Lin Miami. Let’s see how Mcd gets us thru Thanksgiving, as Detroit comes in on a 3 game winning streak. Another huge challenge , let’s go Bills! 

If they struggled early as you say then were they ready to play? 

Dude they literally could not practice practically all week because of illness plus the snow. The "prepared" narrative should be the opposite direction given the adversity they faced this week. They still came to play and they still won.

23 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I just don't think this stuff flies this year. There is no dominating team this year and things are flipping week to week. You can't just completely dismiss a conference team like this. Chubb is arguably the best back in the league and Myles Garrett can destroy a game by himself. They caught the Bengals sleeping several weeks ago, are we gonna really turn the mental gymnastics up and call Cincy a bad team too? Why weren't they fortunate when they got whupped by Cleveland?

Nobody is routing teams like the 2010 Patriots. I think the problem with you and others is that you feel Buffalo has to destroy teams week in and week out for it to seem real, but the fact is that nobody is doing that right now, and nobody has really done that for years. If the Bills beat a "bad" (not really) Detroit team this week and move to 8-3 they'll be just as much in the hunt as anybody despite all of these weird message board asterisks.

I have this conversation with my wife every single week. If the Bills aren't annihilating an opponent, then they are "garbage and suck" apparently. It is just a certain type of fan that can't accept that the NFL can be competitive. It is the reason the NFL is so engaging.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think this was one of McDermott's finest moments.  I have long been a skeptic that he will be good enough to win a SB.  Today I thought there was a chance he could have lost the team and the season.  The defense was getting gashed and our superstar QB was playing scared.  The superstar WR was coming off the field obviously upset at how the game was going.  

His calm nature served the team well today.  Yes we all snipe at his clapping but it was precisely what the team needed today.  Instead of getting into a shouting match with Diggs or dismissing him to the bench, he spoke to him like an adult.  No one will know what was said, but you could tell from Diggs reaction he felt heard and understood.  That is a trademark of great leadership.  

When the Bills hoist the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year, the season recap will highlight this game and that moment that turned around the season!

I actually snipe at those who snipe at him for clapping and those who generalize everyone has same opinion as poster.

I do agree with second paragraph.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I actually snipe at those who snipe at him for clapping and those who generalize everyone has same opinion as poster.

I do agree with second paragraph.

Today I read in the GDT someone bitching about him clapping and then later on someone bitching that McD just stands on the sidelines with no emotions.

Coaching football is hard. We have seen some terrible losses in McDermotts tenure…Petermans 5 picks, Hail Murray, 13 seconds, whatever you call last week

BUT he does seem to learn from and coach against these things going forward. We went back to Tyrod and made the playoffs, Hyde knocked down the Hail Mary attempt against the Colts to get our first playoff win in 25 years, we dropped all but three rushers with a spy against Mahomes on the last drive of the game this time, and now this week we were ok grinding out the game with the run even if the Browns started cutting into our lead.

McDermott has the highest winning percentage of any Bills coach, he broke our 17 year playoff drought and he has the pre-season Super Bowl favorite on his hands. He is not perfect, but he really tries to improve his imperfections and there are few coaches we could want over him imo. 

No season is without its bumpy moments, it’s all about not letting them ruin your season. Despite the rumors, I think McDermott, staff and team are going to be very very good going forward. And you got a small glimpse behind the curtain of it today.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Jesus christ what a long post to say nothing. I'm not explaining why. Just read your own crap. 

30 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Great points about Mcd and I agree!  But unless he can get Dorsey to step up with more creativity , this roster isn’t  Super Bowl bound. 6 fgs won’t keep cutting it and it’s a critical sign the red zone offense is ineffective. Can’t have your #1 reciever almost totally taken out of a game ,; didn’t happen  to Jefferson did it from the Vikings?  Dorsey did some better with run game today , but he hasn’t gotten creative with Hines at all and route tree is terrible with poor spacing. Receivers aren’t open.  Mcd did save the season for  the moment , but Thursday  is still critical and after watching how Reid is so creative  with his offense and use of young players , unless Mcd can bring more out of Dorsey, I fear we won’t win the East or move on in the playoffs as a wildcard. Chiefs are once again holding on to home field and we know how that goes if we have to go there twice in a year. 

injuries on D are killing this team so it comes down to maximizing our O production. If Mcd can get that across to Dorsey , and there are some signs he did as Dorsey stuck with run game today, we may have a chance. They have to solve these red zone issues tho. But like you pointed out , Mcd was masterful today , saved this game , and we still have a chance. Many  analysts are picking fins to win the East now , Bills to be a 4 or lower seed and if that happens despite todays great Mcd performance , it might be a failed, wasted year.   Hoping Mcd can have his best year , and not be outperformed by a first year coach Lin Miami. Let’s see how Mcd gets us thru Thanksgiving, as Detroit comes in on a 3 game winning streak. Another huge challenge , let’s go Bills! 

To be fair … Before his miracle catch at the end of the game

He only had like a few catches after his insane start to the game… 

We schemed to take him out

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

We didn't win because of McDermott's calm nature, we won because we are a MUCH better football team, and on aggregate, played a better game despite our crappy start.

Sums up my Buffalo Bills thoughts. Sean McDermott “Mr 13 seconds” will get his chance but at some point he needs to payoff with a Buffalo Bills Super Bowl or he got to be fired. The NFL stands for “Not For Long” for a reason. As a Buffalo sports fan the biggest waste of talent in Buffalo sports was Dominik Hasek the clown show we call the Buffalo Sabres 100% wasted Hasek’s talent to not win a Stanley Cup was ridiculous. I am not going to see with the Buffalo Bills Josh Allen in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.