Shout out to McDermott from a skeptic

Ethan in Cleveland

I think this was one of McDermott's finest moments.  I have long been a skeptic that he will be good enough to win a SB.  Today I thought there was a chance he could have lost the team and the season.  The defense was getting gashed and our superstar QB was playing scared.  The superstar WR was coming off the field obviously upset at how the game was going.  

His calm nature served the team well today.  Yes we all snipe at his clapping but it was precisely what the team needed today.  Instead of getting into a shouting match with Diggs or dismissing him to the bench, he spoke to him like an adult.  No one will know what was said, but you could tell from Diggs reaction he felt heard and understood.  That is a trademark of great leadership.  

When the Bills hoist the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year, the season recap will highlight this game and that moment that turned around the season!

• Like (+1) 29
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Bills bounced back in a tough week.  Now on to Detroit and a bit of a rest.

We’ll have a 3-day rest advantage over the Pats for the Week 13 TNF game, which is pretty nice.  And then another 3-day advantage over the Jets the following week.

EDITED:  wait, scratch that first part.  The Pats are playing the Vikings on Thanksgiving, as well.

Edited by RiotAct

21 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I think this was one of McDermott's finest moments.  I have long been a skeptic that he will be good enough to win a SB.  Today I thought there was a chance he could have lost the team and the season.  The defense was getting gashed and our superstar QB was playing scared.  The superstar WR was coming off the field obviously upset at how the game was going.  

His calm nature served the team well today.  Yes we all snipe at his clapping but it was precisely what the team needed today.  Instead of getting into a shouting match with Diggs or dismissing him to the bench, he spoke to him like an adult.  No one will know what was said, but you could tell from Diggs reaction he felt heard and understood.  That is a trademark of great leadership.  

When the Bills hoist the Lombardi trophy at the end of the year, the season recap will highlight this game and that moment that turned around the season!

Thank you coach McDermott for bringing us from despair 

people are so blind… HE is the culture 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I agree with you. The diggs moment was nice and They ran the football. Also Allen didn't run much and I've noticed when this isn't an option for allen he seems tentative 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, TailgateChef said:

If you've coached, you know this is masterful:

Notice the first thing he did there?

He listened. He made sure Stef felt like he was being heard. Seems small but you see it go the other way all too often.

Didn't get upset, didn't get mad at Stef...he knows it's coming from the right place with him.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 10

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Sorry man, I'm not buying that you are a McD skeptic. 

The interaction between Diggs and McD clearly showed that the two have a mutual respect for one another. No one here really ever questions the character of McD. He's likeable and is a man of character. 

On the other hand, I think it's important to talk about the build up prior to the

Diggs/ McD interaction. What caused Diggs to come face to face with McD? Was McD close to losing the team? Why wasn't Diggs being targeted more? What was the Bills game plan? Why did the Bills look so off for almost all of the first half? Were the Bills flat? How prepared and motivated did they look? How much of their ineffectiveness falls on the Bills coaching, schemes, and play calling? 

The Bills looked terrible for the first quarter and most of the second quarter. Coaching which includes McD absolutely deserves plenty of blame for this. The season was on the verge of being lost and McD was probably close to losing the player's confidence. With that being said, you have to give the coaching staff its positives for coming out of halftime and dominating the game. Both sides of the ball played pretty well. Fraizer's defensive scheme to take Chubb out of play was a present surprise. Dorsey staying committed to the run was a welcome sight. 

Today was a mixed bag for sure. I'll take the win under the difficult circumstances. The Bills were very fortunate to play the Browns who aren't good.  Credit the Bills for closing the door. A little dose of reality now. This team in its current state isn't a top tier team. Not even close. The injuries are just crippling an otherwise fantastic roster. Can you imagine the defense with Hyde, Poyer, Edmunds, Rousseau, and Tre? Not going to happen. Allen is not the elite QB we saw last year. I am hoping that guy returns asap. We have a consecutive 4 game sample of Allen's mediocrity. It's not all on him as the WR core is inconsistent minus Diggs, inconsistent run game, new OC Dorsey, and Oline issues. 

In summary, I'm very happy with the Dubb. It's what the team needed. A loss would have been almost devastating. At the same time, I'm beginning to think the Super Bowl hopes are more fantasy than reality. Not giving up hope. Can't believe the Bills are 7-3 and I'm saying this. Look forward to others thoughts. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

The Bills needed a win in the worst way. They have legit super bowl aspirations and the last two weeks have been humbling. A freak snowstorm and having to move a game on top of all of that is just rough. Some teams would lose this game and it would be understandable. Good on McD and the rest of the coaches for having this team ready to play and overcome some early struggles 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The Bills needed a win in the worst way. They have legit super bowl aspirations and the last two weeks have been humbling. A freak snowstorm and having to move a game on top of all of that is just rough. Some teams would lose this game and it would be understandable. Good on McD and the rest of the coaches for having this team ready to play and overcome some early struggles 

If they struggled early as you say then were they ready to play? 

Im willing to give him a pass for now...but how many 3rd down conversions have we seen in the last two weeks? I feel like over 60%.

Get it fixed on 3rd down defense. 

I kinda like the idea of trying to get the run game going but its too unpredictable, coaches got it right to stick with it this week.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.