Game overall analysis

Italian Bills

23 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

It’s frustrating that these young guys are losing confidence by being burnt so much. You want to say they haven’t been coached well, maybe but should they have been thrust into starting roles. Beane didn’t address these deficiencies before the deadline. He’s reluctant to dip into draft capital. This team is into our window to break the drought. You look at how proactive the Chiefs are in addressing shortcomings. 

Beane sure as hell did address the secondary. He drafted Elam and Benford. Nobody expected them to be immediately thrust into the starting lineup. If we had a healthy Poyer and Hyde back there, they’d be fine enough. Take those two away and you’ve got a bunch of inexperienced, albeit very talented kids hanging out to dry.

Nobody could’ve anticipated the decimation of our secondary. Nobody expected Tre to play dead. Plus, when you take guys like Tremaine out of the lineup you’re increasing the isolation of the DBs in the short to intermediate stuff. Dodson is okay. Klein is okay. But they cannot cover the middle like Tremaine does. Despite the TBD hate for 49, he really makes a big difference in our defensive scheme.

All these things make your point hard to take seriously. If you want to say that about WR or OL, I can accept that argument. I cannot stomach your criticism of management regarding anything on our defense.

16 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Of course this bad week (not practicing enough and illness) didn’t help, but there’s something wrong with our passing game.. with Josh. 

He doesn’t seem himself. 

Could be the elbow. 

I also believe that teams have figured out our passing game.  Double Diggs, put CB1 on Davis - we don't get enough out of WR3 (we miss the Beasley of 2-3 years ago), sometimes we ignore the TE, sometimes Allen goes deep and ignores the RB in the passing game.   

Throwing shorter and spreading the ball out to more players should help set up the bigger plays.  Josh needs to be patient.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Allen took the smart plays, they scored on 7 straight possessions, maybe Allen was a little gunshy trying NOT to turn it over...he will likely find the happy medium...

Yeah wonder how much he had to fight the urge to back away from the Diggs TD. The way he blasted that pass, it seems like he's waiting for ghosts to pick off his deep over the middle throws.

1 minute ago, pocoboy said:

Yeah wonder how much he had to fight the urge to back away from the Diggs TD. The way he blasted that pass, it seems like he's waiting for ghosts to pick off his deep over the middle throws.

The one play I really remember was him loading up to go deep, then literally pulling his arm back at the last second and checking it down to Knox. Would love to see the All-22 to see what he saw downfield.

Edited by Big Turk

13 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Beane sure as hell did address the secondary. He drafted Elam and Benford. Nobody expected them to be immediately thrust into the starting lineup. If we had a healthy Poyer and Hyde back there, they’d be fine enough. Take those two away and you’ve got a bunch of inexperienced, albeit very talented kids hanging out to dry.

Nobody could’ve anticipated the decimation of our secondary. Nobody expected Tre to play dead. Plus, when you take guys like Tremaine out of the lineup you’re increasing the isolation of the DBs in the short to intermediate stuff. Dodson is okay. Klein is okay. But they cannot cover the middle like Tremaine does. Despite the TBD hate for 49, he really makes a big difference in our defensive scheme.

All these things make your point hard to take seriously. If you want to say that about WR or OL, I can accept that argument. I cannot stomach your criticism of management regarding anything on our defense.

You just helped make the point. Elam and Benford(6th rd) is the answer to losing White for 2/3 of the season and Hyde and Poyer . Be a defender of the state of our defense and the architect of the roster at your own risk. While we’re at it, which addition to our team over this offseason has made a contribution of consequence other than Miller for 120mill. Hey this team has a core of great talent. The role of a good GM is to provide depth to areas of need caused by injury. Our defense is dependent on the secondary making major strides and White coming back playing to his preinjury form. These GMs get plenty of credit when they draft a generational talent (Josh)and trade for a Diggs, when we are defenseless against good offenses, for whatever reason, they bear responsibility along with coaches. Loyalty is fine, being objective is better.

I'm happy this team rebounded well yesterday but you get the sense there are still serious problems with this team and it doesn't necessarily inspire confidence barely hanging on to beat a bad Browns team that 2 of our division rivals boat raced including the Dolphins just last week.

I think we'll know exactly who this team is on a short week facing a red hot Lions team that has won 3 in a row and looks to be coming around under Dan Campbell. Their last loss was also coincidentally against the Dolphins who they almost beat too.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree with this.

You watch our WRs in warmup, yesterday with McKenzie, Shakir and Gentry, they’re all so small. 

Our WR room is two guys.

This staff has seemingly given up on Shakir. 

I did notice Hines in the slot a couple of times, they had Cook out wide once. 

Shakir's snap counts actually up from recently.  He has a 22% snap count on the season but was 25% yesterday. McKenzie was down a little at 40%.  As much as we all want to see Shakir the dude is invisible when he is on the field.  Either he isnt doing enough to get open or Josh just doesnt trust him because no rapport with him.

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

If there’s ever been an “I told you so” from the fanbase to the front office, it’s over how they addressed WR. 

We even had them using the media to tell us “view them as pass catchers, not slot/outside WR’s”.  

Yet here we are, 10 games in and we have two WR’s, one of which isn’t exactly the most reliable. 

Hopefully they find roles for Shakir and McKenzie or Knox’s role looks more like yesterday, because this isn’t sustainable. 

Ill be honest... I thought McK would play better and Crowder would be ok.  I also didnt expect Gabe to have a 17% drop rate. I wanted and still want O line upgrades but yeah, it wasnt long into the season that I could see we need better skill position.

19 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Even if i’m very happy for the win, i have to be straight on what i see: 

- overall grade game B-

- run game A (i love Cook)

- run game defense grade A+++

- Allen B (he seems lost.. don’t know what is it, but he’s not the Josh we know and need yet)

- Brisset had a very good game, but what about our defense ? 
- defense grade B

- secondary grade C- 

- penalties: too much !

In a brief recap if we play like this when we’ll face phins, jets and bengals we could be in trouble. 

For whatever reason we lost our mojo, we need to regain it very soon. 

Obviously we need to get some player back, Edmunds, Groot, Tre… right now we are too banged up to be a great defense again. 

Paizano,  Josh is getting over the elbow injury, has thrown in practice barely for a  couple of weeks, and the whole team was a bit distracted by 6 and 1/2 feet of snow.  

These guys are human beings, and more of them probably live in OP and Hamburg at least during the season.  Can you blame any of these guys potentially distracted.  I think we’re going to destroy the Lions on the holiday, and then we get our fun taking out our recent frustrations on the Cheats.  

I was at a sports bar watching our game and saw the pats/jets game as a bunch of guys were rooting for the bills to lose and the Jets and Cheats were pathetic.  It was criminal fans had to pay $ for that embarrassment of an offense

on both sides.  Payback is a witch.  Then we’ll be up for the Fish soon enough.  They’ll get theirs.  Tua won’t have 148 degree weather to help him.  

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Shakir's snap counts actually up from recently.  He has a 22% snap count on the season but was 25% yesterday. McKenzie was down a little at 40%.  As much as we all want to see Shakir the dude is invisible when he is on the field.  Either he isnt doing enough to get open or Josh just doesnt trust him because no rapport with him.

Ill be honest... I thought McK would play better and Crowder would be ok.  I also didnt expect Gabe to have a 17% drop rate. I wanted and still want O line upgrades but yeah, it wasnt long into the season that I could see we need better skill position.

If KC is the benchmark.. the team we need to get past.. It's all so gross to watch Mahomes have:

Kelce, MVS, Juju, Moore, Toney, Hardman and Watson

Josh has:

Diggs, Davis, Knox...  and then, literally, two playable WR's left active in McKenzie and Shakir

For a Super Bowl contender, this is a five alarm fire and absolutely absurd to have only three reliable targets (and I use that term loosely outside Diggs)

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If KC is the benchmark.. the team we need to get past.. It's all so gross to watch Mahomes have:

Josh has:

Diggs, Davis, Knox...  and then, literally, two playable WR's left active in McKenzie and Shakir

For a Super Bowl contender, this is a five alarm fire and absolutely absurd to have only three reliable targets (and I use that term loosely outside Diggs)

Im still hoping for OBJ but thats unlikely and even if it happens he wont be ready right away.  Im also hoping Hines gets more involved in the passing game.  That dude can fly if they get him the ball.  At this point thats all that can be done.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Josh has:

So that's because they have an offensive-minded head coach. You were 13 seconds from taking them down last year, and could very well do the same this year - because they have a susceptible defense aside from a couple of marquee rushers.

We have the trappings of a solid offense, if some players get their heads out of their asses (looking at you Gabe & Lil' Dirty). And if/when Tre returns, I think their ability to thwart Mahomes will be even greater.

Edited by pocoboy

7 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

OK, I thought when you put up 30 and pass for 330 and run for 84 while getting a lead of 27 -10, you should bury a team playing on the road. Look at Cooks running numbers and Cousins completing every pass with Jefferson’s 200. Dopey wake up.

You should, but 2 red zone ints by Josh, Josh fumbling the snap away in our end zone giving  Minny a TD  and a singletary fumble taken back 30 yds to our end of the field, kinda screws up that plan. Yet you blame the defense. NONE of that was on the defense. Don't let the screen name fool you, I'm awake and didn't forget how Josh and the turnovers on the offense screwed the defense. Why you would blame the defense is beyond me.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Josh has:

Beyond Kelce those are just names.  Juju has had nice production but check the stats on the others.

43 minutes ago, Dopey said:

You should, but 2 red zone ints by Josh, Josh fumbling the snap away in our end zone giving  Minny a TD  and a singletary fumble taken back 30 yds to our end of the field, kinda screws up that plan. Yet you blame the defense. NONE of that was on the defense. Don't let the screen name fool you, I'm awake and didn't forget how Josh and the turnovers on the offense screwed the defense. Why you would blame the defense is beyond me.

Don’t listen to me, ask your friends on the board if our defense was able to stop anything Minn. did from the end of the 3rd quarter. Look at the monster numbers Cook had and Cousins ability to complete every pass and Jefferson getting 200 yds receiving.  Josh had 2 bad picks but he also passed for 330 and ran for 84. You want to say the turnovers hurt, OK, but they weren’t pick sixes. Minn still had to run it down our throats and score on every drive from the end of the 3rd qtr. If you’re up 27-10, a reasonable defense should allow you to win.

5 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Beyond Kelce those are just names.  Juju has had nice production but check the stats on the others.

Toney is apparently injured again too. If it were sammy they'd be calling him glass.

4 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Don’t listen to me, ask your friends on the board if our defense was able to stop anything Minn. did from the end of the 3rd quarter. Look at the monster numbers Cook had and Cousins ability to complete every pass and Jefferson getting 200 yds receiving.  Josh had 2 bad picks but he also passed for 330 and ran for 84. You want to say the turnovers hurt, OK, but they weren’t pick sixes. Minn still had to run it down our throats and score on every drive from the end of the 3rd qtr. If you’re up 27-10, a reasonable defense should allow you to win.

The defense did stop them. On the goal line right before regulation. Then Josh fumbled. The defense then stopped them on the goal line in OT to prevent the go ahead TD. Josh threw the game losing pick.

Ideally they should have stopped them well short of the goal line for sure, but down 4 starters they did their job. Josh would be the first person to admit that the fumble and pick gave the game away.

11 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Toney is apparently injured again too. If it were sammy they'd be calling him glass.

The defense did stop them. On the goal line right before regulation. Then Josh fumbled. The defense then stopped them on the goal line in OT to prevent the go ahead TD. Josh threw the game losing pick.

Ideally they should have stopped them well short of the goal line for sure, but down 4 starters they did their job. Josh would be the first person to admit that the fumble and pick gave the game away.

You want to say Josh had a bad turnover game, fine. The point I was making was that Minn scored every possession from trailing 27-10 with Cousins throwing for 357, Jefferson receiving for 193. You want to say the Bills made a couple of goal line stands OK, but they had to march down the field and get the figs. Josh had 330 passing with 84 rushing. The defense stunk and could have made a stop and picked him up at numerous times in the game. I know Josh has to pull these games out of his rear end most days with our defensive injuries and clueless secondary but this time he couldn’t. You want to blame the guy, have at it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.