NFL Week # 11 - Browns at Bills (Detroit) - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

All we needed was a W, any way possible and we got it. That’s the most important thing.

A few things I liked - running the ball, run defense, Bass-O-Matic looking good, Cook’s carries (he needs more), Knox getting involved, Josh settling down after that gorgeous toss to Gabe “Maybe I’ll catch it, maybe I won’t” Davis (who caught it). I think Josh was a head case until the 2 minute warning and then seemed to turn it around. Not great, but play like that can easily snowball into disaster and he had the mental fortitude to fight through it. Maybe give a little of that Mojo to Tre.

Things I didn’t like - CBs getting toasted regularly, I think we are playing too much man coverage. Not getting pressure with the front 4. Red Zone a work in progress but at least we came away with points each time which is an improvement.

Biggest thing that pisses me off - does anyone else think that when we go up by 2 scores this defense just starts to act like the game is over? It’s really going right up my ass. The D-line starts playing sloppy as sht, lining up in the neutral zone, jumping Offside, getting out of rush lanes. Von is the worst when it comes to this - you can see him just trying to pad his stats but they all do it. This game should never have been in question after the last field goal but the D just decided to play backyard football. It never should have come down to Gabe “Maybe I’ll catch it, Maybe I won’t” Davis botching the onsides kick (Gabe is on the HANDS team??) and thank god for Jones pushing the ball out of bounds because you all KNOW the Browns were gonna score or get a phantom PI in the end zone with a few seconds left.

Anyway, as I said in the beginning, the W is all that really matters. Get a somewhat regular week and build on this on Thanksgiving. Go Bills!

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

All-in-all, with no normal practice all week, the adversity of the snow storm, all kinds of uncertainty, sick and injured players, last minute travel, etc. …. the slow start was excusable, and they put things together late in the 2nd quarter and pretty much dominated from there. 💪🏼👏🏻

Not perfect, but after the last two weeks we should all be more than grateful with a comfortable win. 😁

Although, if they recover that 2nd onside kick, we all would have been sweating bullets 😩

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, BillsFanSD said:

Ugly win, but we'll take it.  

This secondary is giving up a bizarre number of circus catches.  If only we had a CB1 on our roster who could help out a little in the secondary.  Oh well can't have everything I guess.

Yeah, would be nice. But you know, conservatism.

Milano was awesome.

Jackson, Benford and Dodson really struggled.

Congrats to Cook on a breakout game.

Knox was solid.

Allen struggled but managed the game well. I'm really happy to see him not turn it over.

How complicated can it be to run Hines on a sweep.

• Like (+1) 1

For those who were asking a week or two ago, today reminded me an awful lot of a mid-season win by the Super Bowl era Bills teams. Playing an inferior opponent, it wasn’t always pretty, but the got the win they needed today. Now…those ‘90s teams would NOT let up against the Lions. Get the momentum and keep the momentum. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

How's the extra help in coverage been working out, anyway?

I've never seen a nickel defense give up so many 3rd and longs.

I've been a proponent of helping the DBs because they're bad, but you may be onto something here. At some point, you've got to just say wtf.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I’ll take him with me. Did you forget last weeks game as well? He’s way out of his depth. 

We are talking about a 6th round rookie that wasn’t expected to play much this season being thrust into a starting role due to circumstances beyond his or the team’s control. Don’t know what you expect here. 

That said, the CBs definitely need to work on making plays on the ball. We can only hope that Tre and Elam get out there soon. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Considering lack of practice, the crazy weather, the mental part of dealing with it all week and the unexpected travel, all anyone should have expected is that they win the game. How they did it with everything that went on is meaningless.

Especially when they persevered through a tough first quarter and then went on a nice little run of scoring drives. 

Sure it would have been nice to see them punch a few more in for TDs but there are a lot of teams out there that would kill to put up 31 points the way we did...

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think opposing defenses have decided to cede our running game in favor of taking away our downfield passing. And if that's how it's gonna be we have to take advantage of those easy opportunities. The red zone offense is still a work in progress but I'll take long efficient drives that end in points.

I hope that is right. My gut says this is just Cleveland's run D.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Ugly win, but we'll take it.  

This secondary is giving up a bizarre number of circus catches.  If only we had a CB1 on our roster who could help out a little in the secondary.  Oh well can't have everything I guess.

This. There must have been 6-8 contested catches where the ball just found a Browns receiver despite good coverage and hands 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.