NFL Week # 11 - Browns at Bills (Detroit) - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

Call me a homer, I don’t care.  The team has been battling injuries all year and I’m proud of them for playing the way they have.  You guys know more of the football X’s and O’s than me.  I’m clueless.  But I love the way they gutted out their play today on such a messed up week.  On to t-giving to beat the lions. 

• Like (+1) 13
  • Agree 1

I was obsessed with the officiating.  When they called interference on Hamlin, my friends and I agreed that Hamlin's defense on that play could be used as a training video on how to break up a pass.   The holding calls on our guys were just pancake blocks....they flattened the guy, and were called for holding.  Hymes was facemasked in front of the world, no call...yet a handful of plays later they called it on our guy when he barely touched the guy's helmet and the route was not impeded whatsoever.  When Von got a sack, they called defensive holding on Milano....I have  my doubts about that, and they had no replay to verify.  

But I'm glad we won, of course.....we're missing some special talents out there, and somehow we got by.  The last two losses were due to our offense giving away the ball.  This time, we did not and we won.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

A qb with a bum elbow that hasn’t practiced in two weeks 

A comfortable win in which the run game finally gets going and our defense is down three or four starters. 
Zero turnovers. 30 points 

What exactly are you guys expecting from this team. 

Agree.....we did the things today that we ignored in the first half of the season. Finally a heavy dose of running. Take the checkdowns and fgs when appropriate. Keep Josh from turnovers and having to be 90% of the offense. Hines in the return game is amazing.  Let's get him more involved and wait for the injured players to return. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Bills played super conservative in 2nd half. Has to be to protect JA elbow. Otherwise we left some great play action opportunities for big plays. Take the W get ready for a Lions team that is much improved!

How bout that intentional swipe at Josh Allen’s elbow when clearly out of bounds. What a dirty play and the Browns deserved to lose based on that alone. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, JustHewIt said:

I'm thrilled with this win. This is exactly the way we need to win when the offense isn't humming. Today's unsexy offense is good enough for 25-30 points almost any game.  Then our D chips in a turnover or two.  If we had played this way in our losses we may be undefeated.

Agreed.  I think anyone who has played sports has had those times when everything goes to poop.  All of a sudden you start making mistakes and can't hit anything.  When that happens you take a deep breath settle down and just go back to the basics and try to get easy wins.  It's like when a B-ball player loses his outside shot.  Settle down, take some layups, then maybe some mid-range jumpers and regain confidence and form.  That's what I felt like the Bills were doing today.  Hit the easy target, take the easy points, take a breath and get the win and gradually work on adding in more aggression.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'll add this; for as much crap as we are giving the pass D, they regularly had solid coverage and Brisette made amazing throws w amazing catches by WRs. 

I will say (because I've given the pass D some crap) that our regular (1st 3 quarters) defense was for the most part pretty good.  We stopped the run and made some other stops.  What scares me is whatever we are doing in the 4th quarter.  The fact that it has happened with or without injuries makes me think it largely lies with the coaching.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I was obsessed with the officiating.  When they called interference on Hamlin, my friends and I agreed that Hamlin's defense on that play could be used as a training video on how to break up a pass.   The holding calls on our guys were just pancake blocks....they flattened the guy, and were called for holding.  Hymes was facemasked in front of the world, no call...yet a handful of plays later they called it on our guy when he barely touched the guy's helmet and the route was not impeded whatsoever.  When Von got a sack, they called defensive holding on Milano....I have  my doubts about that, and they had no replay to verify.  

But I'm glad we won, of course.....we're missing some special talents out there, and somehow we got by.  The last two losses were due to our offense giving away the ball.  This time, we did not and we won.

The holds called on Saffold and Gilliam were definitely holds, there’s not really an argument. That being said there were several holds that should’ve been called against the Browns that weren’t. I’m not one to normally say much about the refs but today it was noticeable that the calls weren’t going both ways 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I liked seeing Knox and Cook getting involved. I feel like today could actually be a turning point for this offense getting moving a bit. I think this was a sustainable change where we spread it around and didn’t do what we normally do. I actually liked the offense from the 2nd quarter on. The Defense sucks. I’m so tired of this passive ***** game that Fraizer wants to play. We have the horses on defense. I wish McDermott would just take over the play calling and let’s start dictating.

Fraizer's act is getting old.  The Bills were up 28 - 10 with about 6 minutes left in the game and win 31 - 23 with the Browns having just missed recovering an onside kick at the end.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Budkin said:

Another subpar game for Josh Allen. Something is not ok.

I disagree.  After a bad start Allen played exceptionally well and threw some outstanding passes.  He directed the O to 31 points and completed over 80% of his passes during the Bills 25 - 0 scoring run. And if not for a dropped pass by Davis that would have given the Bills 1st and goal and two holding calls negating first down inside the 20 the Bills would have likely had 38 points.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big C said:

My thoughts:

Seems like Allen is struggling with certain throwing angles right now. Side arm especially. He made better decisions today and I just hope the injury remains manageable.

Milano for 1st team All-Pro

Edmunds for 2nd team. His absence was notable both last week and this week.

Hamlin can play ball. I believe he will be one of our starting safeties next year. PI call was weak. 

corner depth being tested. We got lucky on some dropped TDs and obviously we are struggling to make plays on contested catches.

Gabe Davis is a roller coaster ride. 

Lean on Knox more from now on. Good to see him involved today.

Run game looked good albeit against a bad run D. I firmly believe Motor can ball and Cook is over his early season yips. Make teams respect the ground game.

Hines is a revelation in the return game.

Bass-o-matic baby.

This is a great summary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

The Hamlin PD was a beauty. Just garbage that they would call that interference. Textbook coverage. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Unfortunately Josh has a ways to go before he gets that TB12 officiating love. It is pretty staggering to consider how close to 10-0 we could be with all the injuries. Rest and get ready for a scrappy Lions team.

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Fraizer's act is getting old.  The Bills were up 28 - 10 with about 6 minutes left in the game and win 31 - 23 with the Browns having just missed recovering an onside kick at the end.

he plays prevent defense all game on 3rd down but when up 3 score with 5 minutes left his DB's get beat deep?  Watched what Dallas did to Minnesota on 3rd down, and maybe Dallas defense is a lot more talented than us, but Fraser should watch that tape

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, cgang said:

Call me a homer, I don’t care.  The team has been battling injuries all year and I’m proud of them for playing the way they have.  You guys know more of the football X’s and O’s than me.  I’m clueless.  But I love the way they gutted out their play today on such a messed up week.  On to t-giving to beat the lions. 

It's hard to win in this league

Add on the injuries and the issues with the weather and inability to practice , this was a great , comfortable W.

We stopped the run and ran all over them . Nice to see we can win in multiple ways

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NUT said:

Allen did not have 200 yds today. Not beating too many teams with that output from him and the WR's. The CB's are awful. When is White back, what is the holdup?

Honestly what the heck do some of you want? All week we kept hearing about having to run it more. Allen needs to stop playing hero ball. So we run it more and Allen plays safer and we score 30+ basically on the road with 2 days of practice and oh no the sky is falling again. 

Im trying to figure out if the drought years were more insufferable on this board than the current stretch of insufferable takes.  

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

If, at the end of the season, the Bills win a SB, and people harsh on me for holding these views, then?  That's a great problem to have.  For all of us.

But the Bills can't afford to lose too many more games to keep the hope of the #1 seed alive.  Could the Bills run the table ahead of the playoffs and get #1 seed?  Sure.  Could they not?  Sure.  The point of my remark is that this is not a gimme.  Because it's not.

You realize we won today, right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.