NFL Week # 11 - Browns at Bills (Detroit) - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

Ever since Edmunds left the game last week, the middle of the field has been a feast for opposing OCs in the passing game.   We miss his ability to influence those pass attempts big time. 

This is true. Say what you will about TE, but he is an absolute factor in the pass defense. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

It seems McD and Frazier hate big wins.  They allow teams to get back into games.  Change up personnel and coverages would help.

Cannot agree.  The bills set some kind of record for consecutive double digit wins earlier this season.   That did happen today but they clearly reset things on offense some to get back to the basics and focus on not turning it over.  

Brissett is that annoying fly you can’t get with the swatted.  Not really a threat but just keeps staying alive.  

• Agree 1

Just a few mental notes I made:

Josh didn’t see Diggs break wide open early in the game. Stefon motioned across the formation and he could have had 20-30 yards.

Phantom PI against Hamlin. What a ridiculous call.

Phantom hold on Josh’s lone big run of the game. 

Overall, I saw the same thing, it gets to 3rd-10+ I expect this defense to allow the first. But the defense really needs Rousseau, Edmunds, Tre White and Elam back. 

Bernard came in at linebacker for on play, ended up in the slot on Cooper and got roasted. He looks too small to be a linebacker, too slow to be a safety. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

14 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Just a few mental notes I made:

Josh didn’t see Diggs break wide open early in the game. Stefon motioned across the formation and he could have had 20-30 yards.

Phantom PI against Hamlin. What a ridiculous call.

Phantom hold on Josh’s lone big run of the game. 

Overall, I saw the same thing, it gets to 3rd-10+ I expect this defense to allow the first. But the defense really needs Rousseau, Edmunds, Tre White and Elam back. 

Benford came in at linebacker for on play, ended up in the slot on Cooper and got roasted. He looks too small to be a linebacker, too slow to be a safety. 

Do you mean Bernard? Agree, he’s been struggling big. The officials yesterday were extra rough (towards Buffalo). 

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have to ask, all Mafia members who were at the game...how was it watching indoors and warm?

Freaking nice.

Could see everything, did all the freezing in line to get in. 

8 minutes ago, KellyToTasker said:

Do you mean Bernard? Agree, he’s been struggling big. The officials yesterday were extra rough (towards Buffalo). 

Yes Bernard, good catch.

#43 came in, I noticed him, he ended up in the slot against Cooper and got torched. 

I definitely wanted a Milano clone, he’s not that a clone. He’s more like Keith Ellison from the 2007 Dick Jauron Bills. 

Poyer’s closing speed is noticeably different out there.

I actually came away from the game  impressed. it seemed like a  very  get right   game.   they corrected the majority of  things    that   were    previously shooting themselves in the foot.  McDermitt  taking the points.  JA   tossing it out of  bounds on 3rd  down when  there wasnt a  play and taking the field  goal.  the best running attack  this  season. working the clock a lot  better . not giving the ball to diggs, although the best playmaker  showed  signs  the bills   realized   they    had   very  recognizable offence  to defend against so , they  changed  t  up.  yes the defence was porous  . i    have to wonder  ,  it seems to  me    a  few plays  where the corner plays it right,  you see   his arm    between the recievers  arms and   just unable to strip  the ball ,  dont know if  that is  a lack of  strength   or not  putting enough  smash  into the attempted strip.  Case in point  the  first  browns  td. no  turnovers.  scoring points in the second  half.  I  guess too  ,    a major  criticism   of the bills is they   are  too JA  reliant  and  today  was  proof   they  could  win  without  JA doing  everything.  I  think a lot of these   traits  will benefit   going  forward against  NE and finding  redemption with miami and  ny

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, singlezero said:

I actually came away from the game  impressed. it seemed like a  very  get right   game.   they corrected the majority of  things    that   were    previously shooting themselves in the foot.  McDermitt  taking the points.  JA   tossing it out of  bounds on 3rd  down when  there wasnt a  play and taking the field  goal.  the best running attack  this  season. working the clock a lot  better . not giving the ball to diggs, although the best playmaker  showed  signs  the bills   realized   they    had   very  recognizable offence  to defend against so , they  changed  t  up.  yes the defence was porous  . i    have to wonder  ,  it seems to  me    a  few plays  where the corner plays it right,  you see   his arm    between the recievers  arms and   just unable to strip  the ball ,  dont know if  that is  a lack of  strength   or not  putting enough  smash  into the attempted strip.  Case in point  the  first  browns  td. no  turnovers.  scoring points in the second  half.  I  guess too  ,    a major  criticism   of the bills is they   are  too JA  reliant  and  today  was  proof   they  could  win  without  JA doing  everything.  I  think a lot of these   traits  will benefit   going  forward against  NE and finding  redemption with miami and  ny

Agree with a lot of this.  No turnovers is the key, I really think that is their point of emphasis right now.   In terms of just taking FG's, we all need to throw "traditional wisdom" out the window.   There is and will continue to be a lot more going for it and those decisions are backed up by data.   It is easy to point tot he time you don't get it but that is missing the point.  Those decisions are based on probabilities over the long term and not an individual outcome.

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Its just totally strange we all kind of joked about Davis being on the hands team for the first onside kick and low and behold he almost blows it for us on the second one.  You almost cant make this ***** up.

That was a wicked bounce. I don't blame him. I dont think he could have gotten to it before the bounce either. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Nineforty said:

That was a wicked bounce. I don't blame him. I dont think he could have gotten to it before the bounce either. 

yes that ball short hopped him something fierce... like a ground ball in baseball.  Doinked off his facemask.  Great play by Taiwan to knock it out of play.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m wondering if teams are figuring out all they have to do is throw at our CBs even if it looks like they have good coverage. Dane Jackson has been in great position but the ball is starting to come his way and he doesn’t know what to do. Benford the same thing.

Just have to hope they improve with time. Even Jackson doesn't have more than a season or so of playing time.

10 hours ago, Nitro said:

Win is a win BUT  Brissett torched them for over 300 yards.  A healthy secondary would help.  After a rough first half Allen bounced back.  A balanced attack helps the offense.  A two headed rushing tandem really worked.  If you saw the Dallas-Minnesota game, the Cowboys top two backs ran for over 150 yards.   The OC/DC for the Bills have to reassess how they game plan.  Frazier needs to go.  His passive defensive approach allows teams back into games.  Today was a prime example.   If the Bills want to win and get a Lomnbardi trophy he has to adjust his philosophy.  

I almost just want McD to take over play-calling. We rarely see the double A gap blitz anymore that made McDs defenses so potent. Perhaps because we have a better d line. But we need pressure and stunts more often. 

I watch Dallas’ d against Minnesota and it made me envious. I’d like to think we have the horses up front to run a defense like that

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, KellyToTasker said:

He is going to need another season or two. Right now struggling as a first year starter.

I think it was his number I saw taking a bad angle and getting juked out of his jock early in the game on a Chubb long gainer around the End.

Either way the game has not slowed down enough for him. More film, more time playing different downs and distances.

He is a tweener more in the SS mold than LB size wise. Folks said the same about Milano.

They have almost identical size and Bernard had a faster 40 time by a hair.

I think Baylor used him more as the extra rusher where he was good at weaving through traffic and tracking down the ball.

Not a lot of film out there unless you are a bjg fan of Baylor and maybe someone else can weigh in on how he was used.

Open field coverage, taking the right angles, change of direction, and tackling all need work if he is asked to hang back in a zone and cover or seal the edge alone against NFL caliber players.

Not everyone comes out of college ready for an NFL lineup. Some take more time.

Edited by WideNine

18 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

I almost just want McD to take over play-calling. We rarely see the double A gap blitz anymore that made McDs defenses so potent. Perhaps because we have a better d line. But we need pressure and stunts more often. 

I watch Dallas’ d against Minnesota and it made me envious. I’d like to think we have the horses up front to run a defense like that

You're right, we play a passive defense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.