NFL Week # 11 - Browns at Bills (Detroit) - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

1 hour ago, LEBills said:

They stopped Chubb and let the Browns try to beat them with Brissett. They planned to run the ball with a lead even if it meant the offense stalled and the Browns got to do some garbage time catching up. To me, that’s learning from last week when they should have ran more against Minnesota.

This. It is a totally valid way to win football games, in fact the Patriots built a dynasty on the idea. Take away the opponent's best player, slowly build a multiple possession lead, then just whittle away the time until the opponent has run out of chances. I was laughing at some of the live game thread comments about the Browns last TD drive, as if that drive mattered at all. Because we smartly took points at every opportunity and ran the clock down, the Browns last drive was effectively meaningless as long as we didn't give up a long TD. If we had played like that against the Vikings we would have won. Not every game has to be a pedal to the metal 30 point blowout. Nothing wrong with letting the game come to you.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 7

4 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Plenty of people are happy with the win. But people like to talk football. Pointing out the obvious & discussing it isn't PTSD or indicative of people being negative... so dramatic.

Discussion & speculation is what this board is for. It's not all "Rah! Rah! Bills best everrrr!" and talking about issues doesn't make you a bad fan.

I'll always think back to that thread before the GB game where some tweet was arrogantly asking why Bills fans aren't more confident (because they weren't out gloating/being cocky thinking we'd steamroll everyone)... Well look how the past month has been!

Mocking replies where people sarcastically say "remember the Jags"... as if that could never possibly happen again?? 

C'mon. Nobody said the sky is falling. Nobody is saying all hope is lost. Nobody isn't cheering for the team or burning their Josh Alllen jerseys.

But for some reason, express concern after a month of your QB struggling, the same one everyone was more than happy to proclaim was BETTER than Mahomes & MVP favorite, you're suddenly "negative," or have PTSD, or have posts psychoanalyzing how that may reflect on their family life? 😑

I hope people can just accept not all fans want to just coast by the entire season pretending everything's perfect. Sometimes we like to discuss what we see on the field & speculate on how it impacts our chances going forward. 

/ this ends today's Ted Talk

There were plenty of people on here before the Vikings game who were saying it would be difficult for the Bills to even make the playoffs-and this is when they were still the 1 seed! Now after this game there are tons of comments like “they should’ve dominated them” or “this type of play won’t work against (insert team here)”

There’s discussion that can happen, but what bothers many on here is when posters say outrageous things like “well kiss the playoffs goodbye” or “there’s no chance they will win the division”…you get the idea. But it’s social media right? That’s what people do on both sides unfortunately 

• Agree 2

I liked seeing Knox and Cook getting involved. I feel like today could actually be a turning point for this offense getting moving a bit. I think this was a sustainable change where we spread it around and didn’t do what we normally do. I actually liked the offense from the 2nd quarter on. The Defense sucks. I’m so tired of this passive ***** game that Fraizer wants to play. We have the horses on defense. I wish McDermott would just take over the play calling and let’s start dictating.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

the offense cost us that game with the turnovers.

‘Cost us the game’ is such a meaningless semantical argument. The offense wasn’t good and could have won the game if they played better sure; if you want to exclusively blame them you could certainly justify it.    but the defense also could’ve stepped up on 1-2 more plays and bailed the offense out too.  If edmunds doesn’t go down we win that game easily even with the ridiculous amount of injuries we already had on the defensive side 

• Agree 1

We needed this win.  It wasn't pretty, but they gutted it out and made the big plays when they needed to.

Depth only goes so far. It's obvious we need our starters back in the secondary.  I'll be happy to see Tre White out there again.  Guys like Jackson are great 2 or 3 guys, but they're not 1's.

• Agree 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

‘Cost us the game’ is such a meaningless semantical argument. The offense wasn’t good and could have won the game if they played better sure; if you want to exclusively blame them you could certainly justify it.    but the defense also could’ve stepped up on 1-2 more plays and bailed the offense out too.  If edmunds doesn’t go down we win that game easily even with the ridiculous amount of injuries we already had on the defensive side 

I mean, the fumble in the end zone won the game for the Vikings.

No idea where to post this but I'm pretty sure that Nantz and Romo said during their commentary today that they'll be covering Bills at Lions on Thursday.

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Arguably allowing the Vikings to get that close to the end zone in the first place helped them win the game. In truth, I'd put more blame on Josh's second interception for the loss than the fumble. But our offense still scored 30 last week; I'd say anything around that ballpark or bigger should result in a win.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

In fairness to "dissenters," losing to a team that managed all of 3 points this week and a vikings squad that looks PRETTY beatable right now will do that.

It's a week to week league. People really struggle to understand it. Vikings played well...seems like they had a letdown after the Bills game and win. Not surprising actually.

Edited by Big Turk

24 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Plenty of people are happy with the win. But people like to talk football. Pointing out the obvious & discussing it isn't PTSD or indicative of people being negative... so dramatic.

Discussion & speculation is what this board is for. It's not all "Rah! Rah! Bills best everrrr!" and talking about issues doesn't make you a bad fan.

I'll always think back to that thread before the GB game where some tweet was arrogantly asking why Bills fans aren't more confident (because they weren't out gloating/being cocky thinking we'd steamroll everyone)... Well look how the past month has been!

Mocking replies where people sarcastically say "remember the Jags"... as if that could never possibly happen again?? 

C'mon. Nobody said the sky is falling. Nobody is saying all hope is lost. Nobody isn't cheering for the team or burning their Josh Alllen jerseys.

But for some reason, express concern after a month of your QB struggling, the same one everyone was more than happy to proclaim was BETTER than Mahomes & MVP favorite, you're suddenly "negative," or have PTSD, or have posts psychoanalyzing how that may reflect on their family life? 😑

I hope people can just accept not all fans want to just coast by the entire season pretending everything's perfect. Sometimes we like to discuss what we see on the field & speculate on how it impacts our chances going forward. 

/ this ends today's Ted Talk

I think these fans need to realize that during every season there are going to be ups and downs and not to overreact to them. 

That's the issue I have...drastic overreactions. Allen is not going to suddenly turn back into the 2017 version of himself.

It's a long season, lots of things happen during it. Not all of it is going to the be Bills steamrolling teams. Not all of it is going to the Bills playing their best. 

This is also the time many good teams struggle during the year...the middle part. It isn't as unusual as people want to make it out to be. Things are figured out, things are taken away, good teams figure it out like the Bills did last year. 

They'll be fine. They aren't imploding. They aren't missing the playoffs. They will get better as the games matter more.

It's honestly amazing the amount of people calling for Dorsey's head as we lead the NFL in offense and are 2nd in scoring. Could you imagine what other teams fans must think if they read these boards?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

The Vikings had to go perfect on about 5 or 6 improbable plays involving both the bills offense and defense to win that game.  Maybe logically you will put the blame on only the fumble because it came last, and I’m not trying to say you’re wrong to do that.

but the defense had plenty of opportunities to close out that game earlier also so I find it a pointless exercise to place all that blame on just the offense.  If the defense was a little healthier in a comparable way to Dallas’ defense right now, we likely would’ve blown Minnesota out.    

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

I think these fans need to realize that during every season there are going to be ups and downs and not to overreact to them. 

That's the issue I have...drastic overreactions. Allen is not going to suddenly turn back into the 2017 version of himself.

It's a long season, lots of things happen during it. Not all of it is going to the be Bills steamrolling teams. Not all of it is going to the Bills playing their best. 

This is also the time many good teams struggle during the year...the middle part. It isn't as unusual as people want to make it out to be. Things are figured out, things are taken away, good teams figure it out like the Bills did last year. 

They'll be fine. They aren't imploding. They aren't missing the playoffs. They will get better as the games matter more.

Watching the patriots not have down weeks for 20  years will do that to a guy.

:lol:

I'm thrilled with this win. This is exactly the way we need to win when the offense isn't humming. Today's unsexy offense is good enough for 25-30 points almost any game.  Then our D chips in a turnover or two.  If we had played this way in our losses we may be undefeated.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Honestly I think posters here have a form of PTSD where they can't be happy unless they find something to be overly negative about and ignore anything positive.

It's honestly strange and I wonder if they act like that with their families. Just bizarre.

I actually do think there is a PTSD that comes with being a Bills fan!  I say that half joking… but we all know the history, and we are starving for a championship team. Let’s face it, expectations were, and are still very high for this team. 

I think many people, myself included, are certainly happy about the win.  We’re 7-3 in the NFL. Love that! That said, no doubt we haven’t looked like a championship team since the first half of Green Bay game.. and we know there are some good reasons behind that.  But also a lot that we need to clean up.  For sure a lot of frustration in-game, again, myself included. 

I’m not cheering from the hilltops knowing the Browns were a couple fingertips from having a chance to tie that game up.  This could’ve been a game where our starters were on the bench in the 3rd quarter, but instead we allowed the lowly Browns to stay in it. It is what it is, but we won, and that’s what matters today. 

When we play better competition, we will need to bring a better game.  The Browns are simply not a very good football team. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable opinion, and I don’t think it’s blasphemy to point out both pros and cons… and we certainly had our share of both today!  Hoping to build on the pros. 

7-3 now. Don’t take the Lions lightly. Let’s get some guys back healthy, and let’s hope the offense continues to rediscover their mojo!  Let’s do this baby - Go Bills - cheers!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Watching the patriots not have down weeks for 20  years will do that to a guy.

:lol:

Yeah because they never ever barely squeaked out wins against the Bills right? They always steamrolled us right? Guess selective memory must be a great thing.

Have people been out breathing in too much snowblower exhaust fumes this weekend or something?

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The Vikings had to go perfect on about 5 or 6 improbable plays involving both the bills offense and defense to win that game.  Maybe logically you will put the blame on only the fumble because it came last, and I’m not trying to say you’re wrong to do that.

but the defense had plenty of opportunities to close out that game earlier also so I find it a pointless exercise to place all that blame on just the offense.  If the defense was a little healthier in a comparable way to Dallas’ defense right now, we likely would’ve blown Minnesota out.    

Even Cousins suggested that after the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.