NFL Week # 11 - Browns at Bills (Detroit) - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

6 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Wait I was told by all the braniacs on this board Edmunds was useless? You mean I shouldn't have listened to them???

You're comparing a backup LB to a starter.  If we move on from Edmunds we better have a decent replacement option.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DollaBills said:

The most irritating thing about this game is the soft prevent defense that gets lit up. Nothing should change with the calling and we should genuinely attempt to pull away from teams and not hang around

The scary part is that I don't think anything did change. The Browns just started challenging the CBs more. They were beating them all game but didn't start to really throw it aggressively until the end.

38 minutes ago, Process said:

Allen was still off today. He's definitely not himself. Even his facial expressions on the sidelines, just seems a little lost at the moment. But no turnovers was nice to see. 

Another chance against a terrible lions defense for him to get back on track and start slinging it again.

It was very ugly but good team win, especially when you consider the circumstances. Thanksgiving should be fun. I expect both teams to put up a lot of points.

Ps..our corners suck

Pss..lol jets 

He was off to start the game.  He was fine after that.  Guy hasnt thrown a ball in practice since his injury.  I can cut him some slack on that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

All we needed was a W, any way possible and we got it. That’s the most important thing.

A few things I liked - running the ball, run defense, Bass-O-Matic looking good, Cook’s carries (he needs more), Knox getting involved, Josh settling down after that gorgeous toss to Gabe “Maybe I’ll catch it, maybe I won’t” Davis (who caught it). I think Josh was a head case until the 2 minute warning and then seemed to turn it around. Not great, but play like that can easily snowball into disaster and he had the mental fortitude to fight through it. Maybe give a little of that Mojo to Tre.

Things I didn’t like - CBs getting toasted regularly, I think we are playing too much man coverage. Not getting pressure with the front 4. Red Zone a work in progress but at least we came away with points each time which is an improvement.

Biggest thing that pisses me off - does anyone else think that when we go up by 2 scores this defense just starts to act like the game is over? It’s really going right up my ass. The D-line starts playing sloppy as sht, lining up in the neutral zone, jumping Offside, getting out of rush lanes. Von is the worst when it comes to this - you can see him just trying to pad his stats but they all do it. This game should never have been in question after the last field goal but the D just decided to play backyard football. It never should have come down to Gabe “Maybe I’ll catch it, Maybe I won’t” Davis botching the onsides kick (Gabe is on the HANDS team??) and thank god for Jones pushing the ball out of bounds because you all KNOW the Browns were gonna score or get a phantom PI in the end zone with a few seconds left.

Anyway, as I said in the beginning, the W is all that really matters. Get a somewhat regular week and build on this on Thanksgiving. Go Bills!

Best line of the day… “Gabe is on the hands team?”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think the “TrE NeEdS tO pLaY” crowd needs to realize he is just now coming up on 1 year mark since his injury. ACL is a year minimum and that’s physically, mentally it’s longer. 

Then, honestly, he should have sat out the season, and the team should have found a replacement

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Then, honestly, he should have sat out the season, and the team should have found a replacement

In hindsight, I'm sure that they would have done just that. I'm sure they expected him to be back by now.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

My thoughts:

Seems like Allen is struggling with certain throwing angles right now. Side arm especially. He made better decisions today and I just hope the injury remains manageable.

Milano for 1st team All-Pro

Edmunds for 2nd team. His absence was notable both last week and this week.

Hamlin can play ball. I believe he will be one of our starting safeties next year. PI call was weak. 

corner depth being tested. We got lucky on some dropped TDs and obviously we are struggling to make plays on contested catches.

Gabe Davis is a roller coaster ride. 

Lean on Knox more from now on. Good to see him involved today.

Run game looked good albeit against a bad run D. I firmly believe Motor can ball and Cook is over his early season yips. Make teams respect the ground game.

Hines is a revelation in the return game.

Bass-o-matic baby.

• Like (+1) 7

32 minutes ago, LEBills said:

For a week where they barely practiced, scrambled to the airport yesterday and played a road “home game” I think they did fine.

They stopped Chubb and let the Browns try to beat them with Brissett. They planned to run the ball with a lead even if it meant the offense stalled and the Browns got to do some garbage time catching up. To me, that’s learning from last week when they should have ran more against Minnesota.

Go Billls!!

Yea hope the lesson learned by Josh and Dorsey.  The team does better when everyone does their part.  No need to try to force high scoring on offense.  The big plays will be there plenty once defenses have to defend all parts of the field.    

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You're comparing a backup LB to a starter.  If we move on from Edmunds we better have a decent replacement option.

Not to mention Dodson led the team in tackles. Both games Dodson has started he's led the team in tackles. Anybody playing that position in this defense will lead this team in tackles. Puts the tackles stat in perspective. 

This team has a lot of flaws that make me believe that they are a pretender, not a contender.

First, I believe that the defense willing improve if the can get Elam and Tre White back.  I think that Edmunds is missed more than some believe and Greg Rousseau is also an important piece to get back.

The offense is my concern.  Allen looks bad.  Gabe Davis is not a starting-caliber WR, especially on a team with championship aspirations.  If he can’t catch the ball, he needs to sit or go.  His bad hands on ST almost cost the game.

I have little good to say about Isaiah McKenzie.  He is a fringe NFL receiver who can run an occasional gadget play and is a danger to both teams as a returner.

While the defense may improve as they, hopefully get healthy, I think that the lack of receiver talent is going to cost this team a serious challenge for the SB.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I read here all week how Chubb was going to "run the ball down the throats" of the Bills.

Seems like Frazier took that away.  He had 19 yards on 14 rushes for a 1.4 YPC.

He put the whole game on the shoulders of the depth secondary, who struggled but played well enough for the win.

Chubb held to 1.4 YPC and people complaining about the DL.  LOL.  You can't make this stuff up.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think the “TrE NeEdS tO pLaY” crowd needs to realize he is just now coming up on 1 year mark since his injury. ACL is a year minimum and that’s physically, mentally it’s longer. 

These guys have lives and futures to consider. The days of guys giving fans and coaches 110% playing through injuries, just so they can be cognitively and physically impaired at 40, are over. Tre is smart, I trust he knows when he’s able. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

How's the extra help in coverage been working out, anyway?

I've never seen a nickel defense give up so many 3rd and longs.

Our stunts often leave a pocket for QBs to step up into or escape.

It looked like guys were getting hands on Brisset, but he is a bit too strong to arm tackle.

Once he shrugged of the pressure from the edges he could usually step up and either scramble or hit his receivers.

Cooper can still ball out, and Peoples-Jones looks like he comes to play too.

But 3rd and long defense has struggled. Some of that is that we have been missing veteran talent in the secondary all year especially with Hamlin just being a step late.

It is worrisome that Tre is not ready yet... you have to wonder.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.