The late, Great Jackie Kemp

Chandler#81

Growing up in the 60’s, I idolized our 2-time Champion QB. 15 was thee number to wear. If jerseys had been available back then, he may well have set a sales record only now rivaled by Josh Allen. When he retired and ran for Congress and VP, he may well have surpassed his playing exploits in the eyes of WNYers.

Thank you, Jack, for the wonderful memories. Rest In Peace.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 10

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Awesome! That’s a treasure! What’d you do, mug him on Best Street??😲😉

Actually I bought the jersey at the then new Boulevard mall for $45. a lot of money in 68

Anyway, I remember when Ron McDole fell on his leg in a scrimmage game and Kemp was lost for the season.

The City was devastated. This would be the same as losing Josh Allen in a silly practice.

I guess I met him about 5 times, mostly at charity events or fund raisers.

image.png.c84e43a6ad98564591956f7fff65ea28.png

• Like (+1) 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Actually I bought the jersey at the then new Boulevard mall for $45. a lot of money in 68

Anyway, I remember when Ron McDole fell on his leg in a scrimmage game and Kemp was lost for the season.

The City was devastated. This would be the same as losing Josh Allen in a silly practice.

I guess I met him about 5 times, mostly at charity events or fund raisers.

image.png.c84e43a6ad98564591956f7fff65ea28.png

I well remember that horrible day. Then we lost Flores, Darragh, Stevenson and even Sam Wyche. We were reduced to #40 disaster QB Eddie Rutkowski to finish that dismal season..🤦‍♂️ 
On the plus side, the Bills were so bad that year we ONLY beat the World Champion Jets and earned the 1st overall Pick in the Draft. Some guy named Orenthal..

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Me: Dad, why did the Bills trade Lamonica?

Dad: So that we could have a Congressman.

The story was, allegedly, Ralph loaned a lot of money to Al Davis keep the Raiders afloat. And trading them Lamonica was Ralph making sure he'd get his money back.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The story was, allegedly, Ralph loaned a lot of money to Al Davis keep the Raiders afloat. And trading them Lamonica was Ralph making sure he'd get his money back.

I seem to remember a story (rumor) that he was messing about with one of the players’ wives.  No idea if there was any validity to it or if just conjecture. 

1 minute ago, SoMAn said:

I seem to remember a story (rumor) that he was messing about with one of the players’ wives.  No idea if there was any validity to it or if just conjecture. 

I heard the same rumor but it was the coach's wife.  Who really knows since most if not all of the ones who know the truth are dead.  

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I heard the same rumor but it was the coach's wife.  Who really knows since most if not all of the ones who know the truth are dead.  

Right. I was thinking coach wife too. Who knows? Ancient history. 
I vaguely remember the season of ‘68 when QBs kept going down and Rutkowski was something like 6th-string emergency QB. 
Like so many things, one simple turning point changes history.  The revolving door of QBs no doubt led to their overall first draft pick on ‘69. 
The Bills one-win season led to OJ, which led to Cousineau which led to Kelly.  
So it goes. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.