Iconic Sports Moments

Chandler#81

Bob Beamon's long jump at the 1968 Olympics - improving the world record at that time (8.35 m) by nearly two feet (8.90 m). Since then, more than 50 years ago, only a single jump has been longer.

Another Olympic epic moment, this time in a sport that is definitely not main-stream, equestrian, specifically show jumping. At the 1956 Olympics (due to Australia's strict quarantine rules, the equestrian events were performed in Stockholm, Sweden), in the first round the German rider Hans-Guenther Winkler pulled a groin muscle at the penultimate obstacle after his mare took off early and threw him out of position.

(From Wikipedia) Despite the pain Winkler decided to ride in the second round as the German team would be eliminated without him. After he was given tranquilizers Winkler found that he was comfortable sitting, but riding was difficult and painful. Any drugs that could reduce the pain enough to make him comfortable in the saddle also would reduce his mental capacity, and therefore, he was only given black coffee before his ride to try to help reduce his dizziness and double-vision. Halla apparently sensed that her rider was not right and performed the entire course clear with only steering from Winkler, and their performance won them the individual and team gold.

Edited by DrW

13 hours ago, DrW said:

Bob Beamon's long jump at the 1968 Olympics - improving the world record at that time (8.35 m) by nearly two feet (8.90 m). Since then, more than 50 years ago, only a single jump has been longer.

Great selection !!!

Greg Lemond winning the 1989 Tour de France by 8 seconds over Laurent Fignon

July 23rd 1989, the bout took place between Versailles and Paris in a 24.5 km time-trial. The gap between leader Laurent Fignon and Greg LeMond was 50 seconds. Greg LeMond knew he had nothing to lose and everything to hope for if he gave all he had. Alas, Laurent Fignon lost the Tour de France after a 3257 km race for 8 seconds, the equivalent of 82 meters. To this day, these 8 seconds remain the smallest overall gap ever between the Tour de France winner and the rider finishing second.

Edited by BuffaloBud

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22706211/cleveland-browns-get-tyrod-taylor-trade-buffalo-bills

The Cleveland Browns found their young veteran quarterback Friday when they agreed to a trade with the Buffalo Bills for Tyrod Taylor, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Browns will give up a third-round pick, No. 65 overall, for Taylor, according to the source.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

A late entry. Two iconic moments, the heavyweight boxing matches between Joe Louis and Max Schmeling in 1936 and 1938. Both were amazingly skilled boxers. The first bout in 1936 went to Schmeling.

Bout two in !938 went to Louis.

Commenting on the second bout in 1975, Schmeling stated in 1975: "Looking back, I'm almost happy I lost that fight. Just imagine if I would have come back to Germany with a victory. I had nothing to do with the Nazis, but they would have given me a medal. After the war I might have been considered a war criminal."

After WWII, Louis and Schmeling remained connected until Louis' death in 1981. Schmeling became a successful businessman (he was the face of Coca-Cola's entry into Germany) allowing him to assist his former rival Joe Louis financially in his later years, eventually financing his funeral.

Edited by DrW
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DrW said:

A late entry. Two iconic moments, the heavyweight boxing matches between Joe Louis and Max Schmeling in 1936 and 1938. Both were amazingly skilled boxers. The first bout in 1936 went to Schmeling.

Bout two in !938 went to Louis.

Commenting on the second bout in 1975, Schmeling stated in 1975: "Looking back, I'm almost happy I lost that fight. Just imagine if I would have come back to Germany with a victory. I had nothing to do with the Nazis, but they would have given me a medal. After the war I might have been considered a war criminal."

After WWII, Louis and Schmeling remained connected until Louis' death in 1981. Schmeling became a successful businessman (he was the face of Coca-Cola's entry into Germany) allowing him to assisted his former rival Joe Louis financially in his later years, eventually financing his funeral.

I heard all about these fights from my Grandpa while I was growing up

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.