Raiders LB Blake Martinez retires mid-season. To sell Pokemon cards?!?

Big Turk

14 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I love the concept, but the execution needs a little more work.

He needed to build up more of a pile of cash before he pulled the plug.

I honestly wonder if this is what Tre White is going through right now.

A while go he said some weird stuff about using his rehab period to re-think things, see a different side of life, get away from the football culture, spend time with his family (he's married and has a kid or 2) and so on...

He's also got plenty of money to last all of them (and their children, and their children's children) forever.

Why get out there at turn your brain into mush?  

Why not walk away now?  I wonder if this is his hurdle that he has to overcome.

Like he can't make himself play in a game right now, but intends to get over this.

The team is working with him and patiently awaiting him to get it together.

Seriously, this could be it.  Sounds a bit "conspiracy theory" but something odd is going on with him.

I guess Chase Young is in this conspiracy as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

A while go he said some weird stuff about using his rehab period to re-think things, see a different side of life, get away from the football culture, spend time with his family (he's married and has a kid or 2) and so on...

He's also got plenty of money to last all of them (and their children, and their children's children) forever.

Like he can't make himself play in a game right now, but intends to get over this.

Seriously, this could be it.  Sounds a bit "conspiracy theory" but something odd is going on with him.

Someone else finally said it. I've been saying the same thing. No one wants to hear it, but you can't possibly watch that press conference + observe the weirdness of his current situation and not realize something is seriously amiss -- unless you're a head-in-the-sand homer.

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Someone else finally said it. I've been saying the same thing. No one wants to hear it, but you can't possibly watch that press conference + observe the weirdness of his current situation and not realize something is seriously amiss -- unless you're a head-in-the-sand homer.

The two of you also genuinely felt it would be better for buffalo not to be home in the playoffs last year.  You were “scientifically” sure of it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Ok... It's actually kind of weird that you remember that, but even if true, that has absolutely nothing to do with this

It’s not weird because I’m ***** smart and it was incredibly insane. My point stating this is that you two love to jump on zany ideas.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Whoever's schedule.... 12 months to return from an ACL these days is beyond it. 

Obj took about a year to get back to himself after his ACL with browns. He came back before then but he clearly wasn't himself. 

Chase young is a year out. 

I can go on. 

The average time to recover is 12 months (Some sites say 9-12 some say just 12 others say 12 or more) People heal at different rates. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The notion that something is amiss with White is not zany. It's obvious, and it's just uncomfortable for the vast majority of people here.

I think something is going on as most do.  It’s not uncomfortable for the vast majority on here just because you say so.  I have no idea why people even make comments like that. 

Its possible he had a physical set back that’s holding him up.  I think it’s less likely that he’s lost the will to play as you stated before along with the homer head in the sand comments. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Certainly possible with how NFLPA tries to prevent teams from taking back money from players who retire.

20 hours ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

It don’t sound “conspiracy theory”, but it does all sound like maybe your theory, thoughts or suspicion. Big old nothing burger until White actually says something of the sort

I actually saw White leaving Target yesterday with a shopping cart full of Pokémon boxes. 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 11/19/2022 at 1:50 PM, Nextmanup said:

After reading the transcript from his interview, I came out feeling a similar way. 

“I’ve got more to give than knocking a pass down or intercepting a ball."

"What more can I offer people?"

"What’s my purpose on Earth other than playing a football game?”

"I got to see I’m bigger than a guy who puts a helmet on and goes to make tackles and knock passes down. I’m bigger than a football game. I’ve got more to offer people than football."

(These are just a few comments from his interview. He also made many comments about hard he's been working, how he loves his team and how excited he is to play. I'm not trying to pick and choose and manipulate what he said. )

I know Tre loves the game and has been busting his butt to get back out there. But he appears to have done some deep thinking / soul searching and has a different mindset right now, based on some of his comments. And I would love him on the field as much as anyone, WRs have been feasting against us... But honestly I understand where he is coming from. He is asking himself some very deep questions and who actually knows how he is feeling inside? It would not be outrageous to think he might not want to do this much longer.

...or I could just be overanalyzing and be totally off lol.

5 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

After reading the transcript from his interview, I came out feeling a similar way. 

“I’ve got more to give than knocking a pass down or intercepting a ball."

"What more can I offer people?"

"What’s my purpose on Earth other than playing a football game?”

"I got to see I’m bigger than a guy who puts a helmet on and goes to make tackles and knock passes down. I’m bigger than a football game. I’ve got more to offer people than football."

(These are just a few comments from his interview. He also made many comments about hard he's been working, how he loves his team and how excited he is to play. I'm not trying to pick and choose and manipulate what he said. )

OK, but you are omitting the context of the above remarks - which were that he was in such a dark place after the surgery that he was hiding in his basement and wouldn't come out, and Bills staffers had to come to his house and drag him out of there.

It's not exactly news that football players can become depressed ("go to a dark place") after injury, especially mobility-limiting injuries.  These guys are often adrenaline junkies (since grade school!) and don't know what to do with themselves mentally without the catharsis of practice and games.  Often they have succeeded by being "laser focused" on football and not much else.

It's also not exactly news that a guy who is in a "dark place" and had to be hauled out of his own basement would be encouraged by the team to start some mental therapy, and part of the mental therapy would encourage him to reflect on other aspects of his life than football and how much he has to contribute as a husband, father, community member, and man.

Tre missed the entire off-season, training camp, and pre-season.  It's not outrageous to think he might need more than 2-3 weeks of practice to get back into full game shape.  He can't do that on IR.  We are now coming up on his 4th game after being returned to the active roster, where it's become reasonable to start thinking "yeah,  he ought to be able to go out there, and if he's not, did they botch the timeline of when they opened his 21 day window to return from PUP or, is something else going on?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/19/2022 at 8:23 AM, Big Turk said:

This has Vontae Davis beat...the man retired because he just sold a Pokemon card for 650K.

I guess it's a lot easier than playing football??

OK, Buh-Lock-ay.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkytDIeSOXi/?hl=en

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nfl-linebacker-retires-selling-rare-151500443.html

Hey, can't blame a man for folowing his passion

On 11/20/2022 at 7:40 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Tre is waiting for the planets to align to resume playing, mercury might be in Gatorade or something like that. If he's not playing Dec. 1 then I'd be concerned but he seriously hurt his leg its totally within reason to be very particular about which surfaces you are going to come back on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.