Raiders LB Blake Martinez retires mid-season. To sell Pokemon cards?!?

Big Turk

This has Vontae Davis beat...the man retired because he just sold a Pokemon card for 650K.

I guess it's a lot easier than playing football??

OK, Buh-Lock-ay.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkytDIeSOXi/?hl=en

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/nfl-linebacker-retires-selling-rare-151500443.html

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Dude made 28 million dollars playing football but is finally financially secure selling a 650k card?   Article is gas upped.   The guy could have retired well off years ago, the card had nothing to do with it.

He likely bought the card for a good chunk as well.  Rare graded cards don't fall out of the air.  Whether he bought it graded, or took a chance and bought, likely multiple, boxes of the set it came in, he forked out money.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I am so freaking jealous of this guy. That is awesome. He played enough to make enough money to do something fun, instead of risking his health and being in that dysfunctional locker room.  

I wish we could all be so lucky!!

I love the concept, but the execution needs a little more work.

He needed to build up more of a pile of cash before he pulled the plug.

I honestly wonder if this is what Tre White is going through right now.

A while go he said some weird stuff about using his rehab period to re-think things, see a different side of life, get away from the football culture, spend time with his family (he's married and has a kid or 2) and so on...

He's also got plenty of money to last all of them (and their children, and their children's children) forever.

Why get out there at turn your brain into mush?  

Why not walk away now?  I wonder if this is his hurdle that he has to overcome.

Like he can't make himself play in a game right now, but intends to get over this.

The team is working with him and patiently awaiting him to get it together.

Seriously, this could be it.  Sounds a bit "conspiracy theory" but something odd is going on with him.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

A while go he said some weird stuff about using his rehab period to re-think things, see a different side of life, get away from the football culture, spend time with his family (he's married and has a kid or 2) and so on...

He's also got plenty of money to last all of them (and their children, and their children's children) forever.

Like he can't make himself play in a game right now, but intends to get over this.

Seriously, this could be it.  Sounds a bit "conspiracy theory" but something odd is going on with him.

It don’t sound “conspiracy theory”, but it does all sound like maybe your theory, thoughts or suspicion. Big old nothing burger until White actually says something of the sort

6 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

It don’t sound “conspiracy theory”, but it does all sound like maybe your theory, thoughts or suspicion. Big old nothing burger until White actually says something of the sort

Not really sure what you are trying to say.

I agree this is just conjecture!  Educated conjecture, but conjecture nonetheless.

If it was some simple thing as to why he's out, why doesn't someone f-ing say so?

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Dude made 28 million dollars playing football but is finally financially secure selling a 650k card?   Article is gas upped.   The guy could have retired well off years ago, the card had nothing to do with it.

He likely bought the card for a good chunk as well.  Rare graded cards don't fall out of the air.  Whether he bought it graded, or took a chance and bought, likely multiple, boxes of the set it came in, he forked out money.

The latter. He streams the opening of new and old packs of cards online. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Dude.  According to Spotrac, Blake Martinez has career earnings of $28.9M.  Despite the implications of the article, I doubt that selling the Pokeman card had a significant impact on Martinez decision to retire; it had at mmost a 2% impact on his pile of cash

You think Tre White plans to sell Pokeman cards?

You do you, but in context, I don't think it was weird at all. 

White talked openly about being in "a dark place" after the injury and rehab, holed up in his basement.  The Buffalo Bills sent training staff to haul him out of there, and no doubt got him hooked up with mental health professionals.  He said he learned that there's more to being Tre White than playing football, and once he could move again he enjoyed playing with his kids.

Again, You do You, but it seems pretty standard to me that a guy who suffers a sudden stop of an all-consuming career might be depressed and might need to reflect about other aspects of his life.

If that's where Tre is, he could simply retire.

None of us know what's going on with Tre.  We do know that Tre has his own medical team and both that team and the Bills need to agree he is ready to play.  It is possible it is a mental issue.  It is also possible there is some benchmark for functional recovery he has not yet met.

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Dude.  According to Spotrac, Blake Martinez has career earnings of $28.9M.  Despite the implications of the article, I doubt that selling the Pokeman card had a significant impact on Martinez decision to retire; it had at mmost a 2% impact on his pile of cash

You think Tre White plans to sell Pokeman cards?

You do you, but in context, I don't think it was weird at all. 

White talked openly about being in "a dark place" after the injury and rehab, holed up in his basement.  The Buffalo Bills sent training staff to haul him out of there, and no doubt got him hooked up with mental health professionals.  He said he learned that there's more to being Tre White than playing football, and once he could move again he enjoyed playing with his kids.

Again, You do You, but it seems pretty standard to me that a guy who suffers a sudden stop of an all-consuming career might be depressed and might need to reflect about other aspects of his life.

If that's where Tre is, he could simply retire.

None of us know what's going on with Tre.  We do know that Tre has his own medical team and both that team and the Bills need to agree he is ready to play.  It is possible it is a mental issue.  It is also possible there is some benchmark for functional recovery he has not yet met.

I can relate...not even from an athlete standpoint...

I had hip replacement surgery and while the rehab was way easier and faster than for an ACL, I too found myself in a dark place at times. 

Can only imagine when you have your entire career flash in front of you and you have to deal with all the mental what if's he is playing while he has all that time alone.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Not really sure what you are trying to say.

I agree this is just conjecture!  Educated conjecture, but conjecture nonetheless.

If it was some simple thing as to why he's out, why doesn't someone f-ing say so?

Educated conjecture is fancy speak for “I’m guessing”. It’s speculation altogether unless you actually have substance to back up your thoughts. As far as why someone don’t say anything, well there’s the whole privacy thing and also it’s nobody’s business but white and the Bills. When we know, we’ll know. As bad as that is. Just better not to speculate and try to drum up something just to say “I knew it”, or nothing at all if/when wrong. 
That’s all I’m saying.🤷🏼‍♂️

26 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Educated conjecture is fancy speak for “I’m guessing”. It’s speculation altogether unless you actually have substance to back up your thoughts. As far as why someone don’t say anything, well there’s the whole privacy thing and also it’s nobody’s business but white and the Bills. When we know, we’ll know. As bad as that is. Just better not to speculate and try to drum up something just to say “I knew it”, or nothing at all if/when wrong. 
That’s all I’m saying.🤷🏼‍♂️

I understand why the Bills have said so little about Tre but the organisation has not been honest. And when you leave an information vaccum people speculate to fill it. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I understand why the Bills have said so little about Tre but the organisation has not been honest. And when you leave an information vaccum people speculate to fill it. 

They have been...they said he isn't ready to play. That covers a lot of things.

He is fully practicing so it's either that he isn't where he wants to be from a physical standpoint and is getting smoked in practice or it's a mental thing where he doesn't think it feels "right".

Edited by Big Turk

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's certainly a valid possibility.  And if he decides he does want to quit playing at the end of his contract that's a very smart decision.  If he wants to stop playing now again it's probably the smart move for his future health. Though possibly damage done already in his career might not avoid health problensvduecto football.  He would likely need to settle his bonus to prorate the part of contract he did fulfill, return the rest.  

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

They have been...they said he isn't ready to play. That covers a lot of things.

He is fully practicing so it's either that he isn't where he wants to be from a physical standpoint and is getting smoked in practice or it's a mental thing where he doesn't think it feels "right".

They have also said he is "on schedule". He clearly isn't and hasn't been for some time. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.