Sean McDermott is the current longest tenured NFL head coach without a Super Bowl appearance.

Chaos

47 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

lets say it’s 2024 and Belicheck is retired. McDermott gets fired and goes to NE. How scared are you?

Very scared, since he's a great coach and most familiar with Josh Allen. NE would suddenly be a real problem even if they don't have a great QB to start.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

If we fail to go there this year (assuming we're not injury rattled beyond repair) then it's definitely a worthwhile conversation.  The only way I'd make the change if I'm Pegula though is if you get a proven offensive minded head coach like Sean Payton.

Sean Payton made 1 trip to the dance out of 15 seasons. He also missed the playoffs 6 times in those 15 seasons with a HOF QB.

Edited by streetkings01
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

He has had a good impact on the franchise. My concern is that he is the Kirk Cousins of coaches.  Better than obvious replacements, but not likely to win a championship. 

So he's rebuilt an entire franchise from the  laughing stock of the NFL, to the Super Bowl favorite, but he's not likely to win a championship?  

He's brought this team from 17 years of no playoffs to an AFC championship game, 1 game away from a home AFC championship game, back to back AFC east titles for the fist time in 30 years and 4 playoff berths in 5 seasons. 

Many coaches have come through here in the last 30 years.  They all failed miserablely and produced squat. From Murlarkey feeding guys cheeseburgers, Phillips ***** up with Qbs, Jauronamo never having answers, St. Doug running the 3rd Reich, Ryan not wanting to kiss rings, Williams quite possibly putting hits out on guys, to Gailey sprinkling a little bit of Fitz magic everywhere...they all sucked. Albeit, there were some fond memories, but many more crushing defeats. 

Maybe you need to rethink your position. 

Edited by TwistofFate

3 hours ago, gobills404 said:

I’m not saying he’s perfect or one of the elite coaches in the league, but there’s no denying the tremendous positive impact he’s had on this franchise. If he were to be fired, he would be the unanimous #1 candidate for every team looking for a new HC.

That's an interesting way to look at McDermott. I have absolutely no interest in moving on from him any time soon - but I'm not so sure he has the cache you think he has. I think he's viewed as a defense-first coach by most and that could be a non-starter for some.

14 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

That's an interesting way to look at McDermott. I have absolutely no interest in moving on from him any time soon - but I'm not so sure he has the cache you think he has. I think he's viewed as a defense-first coach by most and that could be a non-starter for some.

I think he's comparable to Ron Rivera in how he's viewed around the league. Defensive guy, but who's built a solid culture with a talented QB and hasn't been afraid to be aggressive on offense amidst those conditions. He's not the defensive-minded type that will limit your offense on purpose because of ideology. He lets the OC do their thing as long as they're scoring points.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Only five NFL HC's  have been with their current NFL teams longer than Sean McDermott. 

1. Andy Ried,
  2. Bill Bellichek,
  3. Pete Carrol,
  4. John Harbaugh
  5. Mike Tomlin

All have Super Bowl wins. And multiple appearances.  

Head coaches with shorter tenures and super bowl appearances include

1. Sean McVay (hired same year as McDermott)
  2. Kyle Shanahan (hired same year as McDermott)
  3. Zac Taylor

As an aside here are coaches with wins against Sean McDermott's AFC East Third Place team in 2022

1. Mike McDaniel (rookie)
  2. Kevin O'Connell (rookie)
  3. Robert Saleh (second year)

Bills fans are the most patient.  In almost every other NFL fanbase Mr. McDermott would be "on the hot seat"

Mid season overreaction thread 😂. If you remove the outlier belichick from that first list of guys, Reid,harbaugh,tomlin, and Pete Carroll added together have like 5 Superbowls total in 70ish combined years of experience.  

that’s some of the best coaches in the league and they win the Super Bowl once every 14 years on average about 

reid has had some of the best teams in the league as the eagles/chiefs head coach and he has won the superbowl a whopping 1 time as a head coach 

john harbaugh’s team has also allowed several embarrassing second half comebacks this season and I don’t see anyone running him out of town 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Chaos said:

Only five NFL HC's  have been with their current NFL teams longer than Sean McDermott. 

1. Andy Ried,
  2. Bill Bellichek,
  3. Pete Carrol,
  4. John Harbaugh
  5. Mike Tomlin

All have Super Bowl wins. And multiple appearances.  

Head coaches with shorter tenures and super bowl appearances include

1. Sean McVay (hired same year as McDermott)
  2. Kyle Shanahan (hired same year as McDermott)
  3. Zac Taylor

As an aside here are coaches with wins against Sean McDermott's AFC East Third Place team in 2022

1. Mike McDaniel (rookie)
  2. Kevin O'Connell (rookie)
  3. Robert Saleh (second year)

Bills fans are the most patient.  In almost every other NFL fanbase Mr. McDermott would be "on the hot seat"

Stop with this stupid bull####. How long was Andy Reid HC of Philly before his first Super Bowl?

You need to look at them when they were first time Head Coaches if you are going to pull this ***** out of your ass.

Don't you realize Sean McDermott is the first and ONLY Bills coach in 20 or 30 years not to be a hot, steaming pile of trash?

He gets a lifetime job in the eyes of many Bills fans for that achievement alone.

Such is way of life in Buffalo, NY.

This is completely asinine.

The original poster is questioning the validity of Sean McDermott as a head coach as McDermott has been a head coach for five complete years without a Super Bowl championship.

Did you bother to look up that it took Andy Reid 20 years as a head coach to win a championship as a head coach? According to your "facts" and implications that if a coach hasn't won it all in a handful of years that he's not good enough, Reid should have never gotten the gig as KC's head coach. Right? That's a fact that he went far over a decade without a championship so KC was foolish to hire him, right?

I don't know if McDermott is the right coach for the bills (I suspect he's pretty darn good) but your argument is far beyond flawed. There are 32 teams in the league; with parity, it will take each and every team to 32 years to win one championship... But you're suggesting if a coach hasn't won it all in a half decade he should be highly suspect as incapable of ever doing so.

Please tell me you're not a math teacher or philosophy professor.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

I think its funny that people thumbs down or puke on the first post in the thread which expresses no opinions and simply lists out a series of facts.  A lot of people don't like facts. 

In his current tenure Andy Reid got his first super bowl appearance quite early. Chiefs fans did not wait long. 

You sound like the kind of guy who puts "If you're here, I've already won.  Never taken an L" in their Twitter bio and likes their own tweets.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.