Pre game Downtown Detroit?

Since1981

8 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Ah, I’m guessing you can find similarly priced real estate in the Fruit Belt. 

You'd think but the Fruit Belt is prime team estate these days thanks to the expansion of the Medical Corridor downtown. 

I was in Larkinville on Vikings weekend and couldn't believe how that neighborhood changed from my youth.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

If this game was being moved to downtown Chicago to play at Soldier Field, there would likely be a similar conversation here about how everyone should bring a bullet proof vest and pack heat.

You know, because Chicago is the murder capital of the planet.  Which it may actually be! 

I have good friends who live in "Little Russia" in Chicago in a very urban area and we visit them a couple times a year...stay for 3 days, and do tons of stuff all over that city.

Chicago is one of my favorite spots on Earth.  So much to do...and so SAFE. People are actually polite there with that friendly Midwestern thing going on.  My buddy (who lives there) always jokes about those who know nothing about Chicago think everyone is ducking when they get out of the car for fear of being killed in a drive-by.

In reality, ALL the violence is contained within a small section of the South Side and normal people don't get anywhere near that anyway.  The entire HUGE metro area outside of that is no different than anywhere else.

But the media doesn't talk about that, b/c it doesn't sell papers, so to speak.

Kind of like when it was 73 degrees in Buffalo a week ago (?) in November!  No news story on that.

Buffalo gets 10 feet of snow in 2 hours?  Headlines across America.

So true. Unfortunately, too many Americans can’t read between the lines or intelligently scrutinize biased reporting coming from mass media outlets. Rather than just being reported by print and broadcast news, the political landscape is now controlled by a media who prey on a vulnerable audience. 
If you didn’t live there, you would think all of WNY was at a standstill following the latest snow event. Call a friend or relative in Amherst  (for example)- they’ll probably say “yeah, had to brush off the car, dig out a bit, but then drove up to Tops for some gametime pops and picked up a pizza on da way home Roads were clear. No big deal”. 
Much different than the perception an outsider might have. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

I first went to Detroit back in Feb of 1994, I had never been there before and the experience was mind blowing. I had seen poverty in big cities in the USA before but seeing all the abandoned houses and torched/smashed cars on the street was unbelievable. Had a great trip to the Mexican town restaurant and had the best Mexican food ever there (even better than Mexico). While waiting for our dinner a brawl broke out between 2 groups of people on nearby tables. It was like a movie fight with multiple people squaring off. Until at least 6 or 7 short stocky Latinos barreled out of the kitchen and pushed them all down the stairs and  out the door. Bizarre experience! I havent been back since then, would love to know if things have improved especially downtown. My barber who has family there tells me its still a dangerous place to get lost in (especially 8mile etc).  Its nice to see that Mexican Town restaurant still exists so if any Bills fans are there tonight check it out!!

As you go out from the city center it gets progressively worse. But the city and state have torn down a lot of the rot. There are some parks/ community gardens and redevelopment taking place in some of the now vacant parcels. Within he I-75 crescent is pretty decent and the innermost loop is really nice. Detroit was a major draw for a number of millenials (now in their 40s!) who were priced out of other cities. I am friends with a couple who bought a house in the era you are talking about for 25k, and they have remodeled it. It's a nice cozy home and their neighborhood off of Woodward is very nice. Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo etc have fought hard to stabilize. There is still away to go, but things have improved significantly.

PS my friends and I had rented a Mustang convertable and cruised 8 Mile. It wasn't anything worse than some sketchy places in Philadelphia, Rochester or cities in Jersey that we are familiar with. In fact it was nicer than most of North Philadelphia, Camden or the 14621 in Rochester.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Taking a shot at me huh? I'm the ONLY guy on this board who consistently has your back.

Maybe you are just an idiot.

Woh! Didn’t realize having a discussion was taking a shot at you!? Do you and your friends never disagree? I was just pointing out that I think Chicago violence is a bit more widespread than you may have thought.

On 11/19/2022 at 12:53 AM, stevestojan said:

Interesting replies. I’ve heard anecdotally that Detroit has really improved in the last several years. I have never been so just interesting to hear the different perspectives. 

FWIW -  We have a neighbor who is an architect who works all over the world. He currently is doing a VERY expensive home outside of Detroit and he told me the area is making a nice comeback. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

FWIW -  We have a neighbor who is an architect who works all over the world. He currently is doing a VERY expensive home outside of Detroit and he told me the area is making a nice comeback. 

I have a GF whose parents were a part of the Ford motor company #Oldmoney. Im happy to see it honestly. Rise up Detroit. You've always treated we Bills well in the past. 

LETS GO BUFFALO

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

I have a GF whose parents were a part of the Ford motor company #Oldmoney. Im happy to see it honestly. Rise up Detroit. You've always treated we Bills well in the past. 

LETS GO BUFFALO

Our neighbor/architect is designing the most expensive home built in the Detroit area in like 100 years. I think it’s Gross Point. My wife didn’t realize what a big deal he is and had him come down and do plans to redesign our kitchen. He was too polite to say no, so he walked up the road and knocked it out of the park where others had failed. I told the wife she just hired Monet to paint our closet. 

I haven’t been to the Detroit area since I was in college. I know they have dangerous areas, like any city, but places like Gross Point are absolutely beautiful. Lots of old money there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.