Taking stock at mid-season

finn

There is no real midpoint to the season anymore, but this is as good a spot as any to pause and consider the state of the team. Also, I'm hoping they're about to get back on track, so maybe this is the pivot point. My take:

Positives/nice surprises: Josh Allen going supernova in the first five games; Diggs having a career season; the young guns in the secondary; Rousseau arriving; Von Miller time; DaQuan dominating; Epenesa and Basham coming along; Shakier contributing; Sam Martin getting it done; Dorsey's offense up to Packer's game.

Negatives/disappointments: Saffold's mediocre everything; Bates' struggles; Brown's pass pro; Oliver continuing to "flash" and no more; Knox disappearing; McKenzie repeatedly hurting the team; Gabe Davis' lack of development; Cook's meek play; the endless injuries. Dorsey's offense since Packer's game.

High points: Allen's shot-put of the Rams DB; beating the Chiefs (ahh); crushing the Titans; Allen throwing that bomb to Davis out of the end zone; Allen vaulting yet another player; Von's sack of Mahomes to seal victory.

Low points: I don't have the heart to list them, but most of them occurred in the last ten quarters. 

Forecast: Dorsey gets more creative and less predictable; the injury list regresses to the mean; the team gets its swagger back and runs the table. 

8 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

It's mid season...

The Bills are in 3rd place

We don't belong here ...

0-2 in the division and in third place was something I didn't think I was going to see this season. Hopefully they can bounce back and at least split with the Jets and Miami and either split or sweep the pats?

They have got a lot of work to do to get this train back on the track. Which I do have confidence in them enough to believe they will.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Knowing you lost 3 games by a combined 8 points and in each game you where clearly the better team is crazy. 
I think we have seen enough now to realize the Bills when they are focused for 4 quarters beat any team in this league by 10 points. 

They are probably the better team  of the 4, we will find over the next 7 weeks.    Against Dolphins & Vikings it felt like the Bills were the better team.    But the Jets completely dominated the 2nd half.   Jets were the best team on the field that day in NJ.

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

Positive - Hamlin

Negative - Knox

High Point - Beating the Chiefs

Low Point - Getting beat by the Jests then throwing a win away vs the Vikings

Forecast - Snow

I'm giving Knox a pass considering everything he's had to deal with.  Not disagreeing with you from a raw production standpoint of course.  Just that I'm not worried about his future with the team.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I'm giving Knox a pass considering everything he's had to deal with.  Not disagreeing with you from a raw production standpoint of course.  Just that I'm not worried about his future with the team.  

My negative is more the non use of Knox than on Knox himself, I should've been clearer.

Benford is a huge positive. Has he been perfect? No, but he held his own against veteran receivers and has helped an injury-ravaged team win games. Early on, I was almost thinking of getting his jersey as he is the epitome of the underdog: a 6th rounder pick starting over a first rounder. I hope he continues to improve and carve out a very good career as a long-term starter.

Gabe having the dropsies has been disappointing and I would really like to see this team be able to grind it out on the ground whenever they want to those are my disappointing’s

The positives? We are six and three we are not beating patty cake teams to get there, and in our losses we are not getting wiped out that is a change from previous years. Some of our winds were against fringe opponents, and whenever we lost, we lost big that stopped happening.

This was the most highly anticipated Bills season in a generation. Expectations were high.  

Having three lossess to 2 rookie and 1 second year head coach, at least in part due to poor coaching decisions, is clearly the biggest disappointment so far.   0-2 in the division is a nightmare.  Nothing over the course of the last two years suggests that game time coaching blunders will all of sudden stop.  And now the head coach  is signalling he will be finger pointing to deflect blame (McDermott's passive agressive comments about Allen after the Vikings loss, his passive agressive comments about Tre White). 

The way the AFC is split between good and bad teams, it is possible an 11-6 team misses the playoffs.   10-7 almost certainly misses in the AFC. 

The Bills have four divisional games remaining: 2 against the patriots who we rarely sweep, 2 against teams who already beat us this season.  All of these teams are hungry and in the playoff hunt.  Going two and two out of these four is the most likely scenario.  This means we can't lose any of our other four games. 

Our other four games are against the Browns, Lions, Bears and Bengals.  Browns are a terrible matchup for the Bills.  The Bengals are defending AFC champions who are dangerous on any given Sunday.  A loss tomorrow to the Browns will be devastating.  As they say D-Day was a must win, this is just a football game.  But if the Bills lose tomorrow, the path to a championship becomes very narrow. If the Bills win tomorrow, it will still be a slog to get home. 

There is certainly hope but the team is a true inflection point over the next 6 days. Two wins will help alot. 

About as expected, which is to say about the same as last year. Some truly high points coupled with another mid-season lull and continued (predictable) struggle at OL. The team is good but all the underlying issues remain that’ll prove to be the Achilles heel in playoffs…coaching, OL, execution in close games, turnovers. Not to mention the injuries which makes them less dangerous than last year.

On 11/18/2022 at 7:04 PM, frostbitmic said:

My negative is more the non use of Knox than on Knox himself, I should've been clearer.

Knox has been our 6th Lineman in pass pro. I wish people would let up on him a little. It's the way he's being used. I hope the coaches coach smarter. Quit thinking you have to convert 4th and shorts every time....especially in FG range....And with 1:38 and a timeout left in the RZ and OT, take the timeout and think about what the Hell you need to do. We should have never lost let alone went to OT.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.