Get ready for lab grown meats!

TBBills

18 hours ago, TBBills said:

Upside Foods just got FDA approval to sell lab grown chicken. 

This is something I have been looking into for years. This will be the future of our food if this world wants to survive. 

https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/16/upside-foods-cell-cultured-meat-fda/

fortunately I wont be here to see it, or eat it. meanwhile I'll settle for a good steak and baked potato.

AF1QipMaREsNTzezwRdxp7qd9__oZOd4k-Bs3kBP

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, TBBills said:

That's a nice lab grown steak.

in your dreams maybe. but I went out to the back 40 and dropped a Hereford, slung it in the back of the truck and brought it to the barn. skinned and butchered.

nothing like a fresh kill... :)

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

in your dreams maybe. but I went out to the back 40 and dropped a Hereford, slung it in the back of the truck and brought it to the barn. skinned and butchered.

nothing like a fresh kill... :)

That's what I said, lab grown.

I guess what I don't understand is this -- and maybe this is just a philosophical question:

If it's grown in a lab and is not the slaughtered and prepared flesh of an animal....is it even technically still "meat"?

And if not, how is it much different than the multitude of fake meat substitutes out there now, all the "Beyond" and "Impossible" products? Obviously, one is still derived from animals and one isn't, but...the stuff derived from an animal doesn't seem any more like "meat" to me than the stuff that isn't.

Personally, if I'm not gonna be eating an actual animal but still want to get protein and/or pretend I'm eating an animal, I'd rather have something derived from soy or nuts or wheat gluten than something derived from the cultured cells of animals.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I guess what I don't understand is this. and maybe this is just a philosophical question:

If it's grown in a lab and is not the slaughtered and prepared flesh of an animal....is it even technically still "meat"?

And if not, how is it much different than the multitude of fake meat substitutes out there now, all the "Beyond" and "Impossible" products?

Personally, if I'm not gonna be eating an actual animal but still want to get protein and/or pretend I'm eating an animal, I'd rather have something derived from soy or nuts or wheat gluten than something derived from the cultured cells of animals.

You are eating an actual animal, they grow the cells into meat just like a body does as it forms and grows. 

Instead of a million cattle you can take a few cells from one animal and grow the same meat amount of meat.

What Meat lovers like DBF don't realize is those big cattle companies are some of the biggest investors.

Edited by TBBills

Just now, TBBills said:

You are eating an actual animal, they grow the cells into meat just like a body does as it forms and grows. 

Instead of a million cattle you can take a few cells from one animal and grow the same meat amount of meat.

In that case, aren't I NOT eating an actual animal? I suppose I'm still eating "meat" by its classic definition, but I'm not eating an animal. I'm eating a product developed from the cells of an animal, but not the animal itself?

1 minute ago, Logic said:

In that case, aren't I NOT eating an actual animal? I suppose I'm still eating "meat" by its classic definition, but I'm not eating an animal. I'm eating a product developed from the cells of an animal, but not the animal itself?

The cells came from an animal, I don't know what else you are looking for.

Edited by TBBills

23 hours ago, TBBills said:

Upside Foods just got FDA approval to sell lab grown chicken. 

This is something I have been looking into for years. This will be the future of our food if this world wants to survive. 

https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/16/upside-foods-cell-cultured-meat-fda/

Sounds like episode #20 of Eureka Series "E = MC...?" where they scientist was growing cloned chickens without brains.

13 hours ago, Logic said:

I guess what I don't understand is this -- and maybe this is just a philosophical question:

And if not, how is it much different than the multitude of fake meat substitutes out there now, all the "Beyond" and "Impossible" products? Obviously, one is still derived from animals and one isn't, but...the stuff derived from an animal doesn't seem any more like "meat" to me than the stuff that isn't.

One is meat, the other is vegetables.

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I'd feel better eating that the other artifical meat... Like the "Beyond Meat" stuff.  What's actually in that? At least grown in a lab is real. People wear cultured pearls, don't they?

Idk if I feel comfortable with something coming from a lab. I guess I'd have to trust the process. In one hand, you have a cow raised for eating. You see the cow. You know it's a cow. The meat is cut from the cow. In the other hand you have some cells....from a cow, right? Were they, though? Idk, they were in a package with a bunch of other cells, sent to the lab and separated into petri dishes, and sprouted up into the shape of a thigh. This tastes vaguely like a cow.....maybe a hint of chicken....and something else....?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/18/2022 at 2:20 PM, Logic said:

Don't think too hard about this. This is one of those classic thought experiments that has no "correct" answer.

In some ways, you are eating meat, and arguments can be made that this factory grown crap is basically still "meat."

Then again, you can argue it is NOT meat, as you are doing, and your arguments are valid too.

I am a huge food snob and love to cook.  I can assure you I would never buy such a product, for what that's worth.

Then again, most of the food available to Americans today in a grocery store environment is garbage that I would not buy or eat.

I would urge everyone to keep it simple and natural; spend your time in the fresh meat, fresh fish, fresh produce areas, and skip pretty much the rest.

At some point you'll have to venture down aisle 9 for a bag of rice, or some cans of tomatoes and things like that; that's OK too.

As I always say, try not to buy food that comes in cardboard.  I also like to avoid anything frozen, but sometimes that can a solid option too.

A frozen bag of corn is not going to kill you, but I'd rather get fresh ears and cut the corn off myself.

If the corn is not in season and not there, don't eat corn.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.