What are your thoughts on John Murphy as our radio announcer?

Einstein

A few years back I called into Murphy's talk show. I found him rude and short with me. He may have been a good sports director at WKBW and a second banana to Van Miller but he's a fail as a top dog PBP. Murphy has that hard "A" sound..."And the Snap" which is so annoying because he has repeated it over and over again through the years. When exciting things happen, he starts screaming but it all sounds like manufactured. He's not a natural PBP and further, he comes off as a pompous know-it-all. Van, who was a tough act to follow, connected with fans and captured the excitement without screaming all the time was infinitely better. Sometimes second bananas should stay second bananas.

Edited by Blah Blah

7 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Where is anyone equating/linking a recent loss with Murphy being a bad play by play guy?   Different topics completely 

Forgive me. I didn't realize this was a post to give Murphy credit for a job well done. Seemed to me like "hey let's scrutinize someone else for not sounding as good as another guy". My bad. I understand being disappointed in a team but just finding ways to criticize someone else's job just doesn't sound great to me. This whole world is under a microscope with people giving opinions on others (most of them are negative and slanderous).
I understand the original poster did not say "hey give reasons why John Murphy sucks" but are we really going to read how awesome Murphy is? Instead we get "he's trash" "good guy sucks at his job" and so on. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown

On 11/18/2022 at 8:55 AM, thenorthremembers said:

Its 2022 about to be 2023, why does anyone care how the radio announcer sounds?  Cant stream it legally, and most of the time the radio isnt in sync with the TV broadcast.  

I may be in the minority, but I cant even stand to listen to the TV announcers let alone the radio call.     That said, if I had my choice, and the radio was in sync with the TV, I'd turn off most of the guys on TV to listen to Murph and Wood.

Otherwise, I feel like arguing the ability of a radio announcer in 2022 is akin to asking who the best Chimney Sweep is.

Easy to sync.  With DTV pause your video for about 10 seconds if listening to OTA Sirius if streamed radio feed about 1 minute 15 seconds.  I pause game right about when kicker makes contact and listen for thump on radio feed. Bend doing this since 2003!

11 hours ago, nucci said:

Buffalo sports had Van Miller, Ted Darling and RJ...some of the best ever. Now not so much. Sabres broadcast is very difficult to listen to.

The Sabres entire broadcast program used to be top notch A+ material from RJ and Jim Lorentz calling the game to Hockey Hotline afterwards with Mike Robitaille and Brian Blessing.  I miss those days so much 

• Agree 2

On 11/17/2022 at 6:44 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The guys we have now calling football and hockey games are just your average guys. Nothing unique or special about them.

This is where I'm at. There used to be a time where fans would go out of their way to sync Van or Jeanerette's radio call up to the television broadcast. It seems the opposite is true today and fans go out of their way not to listen to them.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Easy to sync.  With DTV pause your video for about 10 seconds if listening to OTA Sirius if streamed radio feed about 1 minute 15 seconds.  I pause game right about when kicker makes contact and listen for thump on radio feed. Bend doing this since 2003!

I do this with Greg Papa.  Pause when the ref whistles for the kick-off.  You should be good. 

I listen to games rather than watch frequently because I'm driving my son home from hockey somewhere. Murphy sucks. He barely describes the action and is flat out wrong often. In the Dolphins game he called touchdowns twice in balls that were dropped. That's wildly frustrating to listen to. He was a good color guy for Van, he's been a bad PbP guy and as he's gotten older he's gotten worse.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/18/2022 at 5:29 PM, gomper said:

For the older folk, he sounds like Peter Brady when his voice cracks lol. He's not terrible but he's no Greg Papa. 

"For the older folk"...just when do you think Hollywood foisted off on us that crap that was the Bradys?! 🤨 We've been suffering that bunch since the late 60s.  

He gives some of the worst interviews I’ve ever heard. He asks the most obvious questions but also has a habit of answering them himself. 

”Coach, I’d imagine you’re unhappy with the loss, no?”

”Protecting the football is important and I imagine you don’t want to see your team with that many turnovers, right?”

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.