What are your thoughts on John Murphy as our radio announcer?

Einstein

46 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We have had a lot of coaching/weather threads lately so I figured this may be a welcome distraction.

Pat McAfee posted the radio call of the Vikings winning (sorry, I wish there was a different example) and I was blown away at the quality, tempo, and enthusiasm of the Vikings radio guy. In my opinion, it puts Murph to shame.

It seems like Murph is always sputtering and second guessing and the calls have little enthusiasm. I vaguely remember the amazing Hyde INT in the playoffs last year went something like “Mac throws it deep. And it’s caught. Oh wait. Maybe Hyde got it? Yes, Hyde got it, interception.”  Just … meh.

What is everyone else’s opinion? Do you agree with my take or are you a Murph fan?

Anyway, if you have the stomach for it, this is a great radio call to listen to, even if it was at our expense:

Van Miller is what made that show.  Murph sucks without him IMO.  I dont hate him or anything but Van Miller was the guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think he's absolutely god awful. Between voice squeaks, too much (or too little) excitement at times, not knowing the result of plays (catch vs not etc.) he's basically unlistenable for me. Not that I listen to games on radio but all replays on WGR and from national are tough listens.

I'd put him fractionally ahead of Rob Ray lol

49 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

He’s horrible. And apparently going through puberty too. 

I haven't lived in Buffalo since the late 80's, so I don't really listen to the local broadcasts all that much... sometimes, on the app, just to put myself to sleep, I would listen to the replays... I honestly think Murph heard a lot of criticism about how dull he was, so a few years ago, he started that screaming thing....I must say, it sounds so forced, and kind of ridiculous.  I almost can't believe he still does it...like he was looking for some sort of "signature" and he settled on that?  Yuck.  Otherwise, as others have said, I think he's pretty bland...not terrible, but not at all exciting either.  

Btw- I like Van Miller too, but it is funny to see everyone getting nostalgic for him. When I was a kid, I remember him not being particularly liked amongst the Bills fan-base..before it was a nation, or "mafia".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not a fan. When he raises his voice, it cracks in an incredibly annoying way. Wood adds good analysis, but  his name matches his personality. Wooden.

When Van used to say "Fasten Your Seat Belts", I was like HELL YEAH!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah I think that’s fair. “Meh” is how I feel about it haha.

I really liked Tasker as the color commentator. I know he would mess up sometimes, and maybe it’s just the nostalgia, but something about hearing him comment on the game live made me happy.

I remember whenever a fumble happened he would yell “ball!” - He explained that’s what they were taught to do on the sidelines as a player

Tasker is underappreciated.

He's entertaining in his own way but is an acquired taste.

Murphy I'm just ambivalent. I wish he was better but he's not the worst either. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.