The 2022 November Blizzard in General

T&C

Have communicated with friends and family

my sister lives in NT near wheatfield /NT line. Thursday night/ overnight she got Thu dersnow with about 3 inches.  She got sun today so much of the snow melted during the day.

A friend of mine lives in west of the stadium on the other side of 90.  I have a video of him in shorts snd a bills jersey doing a beer then doing a back led plunge into feet of snow.  He has 5 ft+

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Just Jack said:

FYI, Buffalo has been relocated according to NBC...

1453804933_BuffaloWatertown.thumb.jpg.152634237cc21eeb08bdb2af4711c427.jpg

Look like they have combined Buffalo and Watertown as one giant snow receiving city.

Which makes sense; most Americans think Buffalo gets the type of snow that Watertown gets.

Although this year, they're right.

4 hours ago, djp14150 said:

Have communicated with friends and family

my sister lives in NT near wheatfield /NT line. Thursday night/ overnight she got Thu dersnow with about 3 inches.  She got sun today so much of the snow melted during the day.

A friend of mine lives in west of the stadium on the other side of 90.  I have a video of him in shorts snd a bills jersey doing a beer then doing a back led plunge into feet of snow.  He has 5 ft+

That's about how it works.  Hit or miss.

Location matters!  Except for the storms when it doesn't matter, and EVERYONE gets hammered.

Those happen too.

I have what looks to be a total of 2.5 to 3 feet.  Almost 2 feet overnight.

Town did not plow my street last night.  Had a tough time snow blowing for my wife to get to work.

Certainly not as bad as what others are experiencing.  Could not imagine 5’ of snow!  Holy schnikes! Hope all are safe. 

15 minutes ago, Draconator said:

My 80 yr old neighbor was out snowblowing his 4 feet of snow in his driveway. He ran out of gas, so I just went and cleared a path for him to get his car out (all he asked for) and was mad at himself for running out of gas!

80 long, cold years all leading up to today.

And he failed.

• Haha (+1) 3

The lack of general geographic knowledge of NYS continues, this time from CNN…

“Nearly 6 feet of snow has fallen across portions of western New York – numbers considered historic for the area, the National Weather Service said. The town of Natural Bridge, just east of Watertown, has recorded 70.9 inches Saturday morning, which is just shy of 6 feet. Watertown has seen 57.4 inches over the last two days.”

Never once have I known anyone to consider Watertown in Western NY. But most think Westchester County is Upstate.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Question.  I assume seeing it's so early in the snow "season" the ground wasn't frozen.  Would the totals be even higher if it was or did it just fall so fast/hard that it made no difference?  

I'm not a meteorologist, but I would imagine a dumping of this magnitude wouldn't have been impacted one way or the other by ground temperature.

I guess it might have lessened it a small amount, like an inch or something...but maybe not.

This is one of those things we'll never know.

I'd love it if some of you would share photos or video links to some of the blizzard footage.

I moved away from the region a long time ago, but sure remember dealing with these blizzards in the 70's/80's.  It was fantastic as a child, but as an adult... not so much.

Good luck to all of you up there!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Just Jack said:

FYI, Buffalo has been relocated according to NBC...

1453804933_BuffaloWatertown.thumb.jpg.152634237cc21eeb08bdb2af4711c427.jpg

“Upstate” is upstate. It doesn’t matter where the dart lands if it’s not NYC. There is NYC…..and then there is the rest of the state, which is “upstate” of NYC.  I have a terrible habit of correcting and informing people regarding that little geography tidbit. I’m sure more than one person has asked themselves “where the hell did that just come from?” when I was done.  🤷‍♂️

We all have our quirks.

Edited by Augie

It was a Lake Effect Snow Event, not a blizzard to start with...

6 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Question.  I assume seeing it's so early in the snow "season" the ground wasn't frozen.  Would the totals be even higher if it was or did it just fall so fast/hard that it made no difference?  

It wouldn't effect the actual snow totals, that gets measured by instruments. It would however effect the snow depth, as snow that falls at first melted instead of sticking.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.