Sunday's game vs Cleveland is being moved to Detroit

Simon

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

There is virtually no snow where I am (West Amherst).  There is even less where some of my friends are in Niagara Falls.  It makes me wonder if the idea of putting the new stadium there has more merit than I thought.

I got about a foot and a half in Lancaster and its coming down again.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

There is virtually no snow where I am (West Amherst).  There is even less where some of my friends are in Niagara Falls.  It makes me wonder if the idea of putting the new stadium there has more merit than I thought.

200.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Naw, the Blizzard of 77' wasn't a Lake Effect event. The lake froze over early that year and there was a steady accumulation of snow until 75mph winds from the north blew two months of snow off of Lake Ontario onto WNY and across 7 counties. 

There were 30 feet drifts in some places, with near Hurricane force winds. 

Screen_Shot_2021-01-16_at_7.38.27_PM.png

I remember climbing around on the tops of 2 story houses in our neighborhood from the drifts.  There was an open area down the road from my neighborhood the drifts reached the tops of telephone poles.  At the time it was just no school / fun time - never really fully appreciated in the moment how incredible it was

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

There is almost always going to be less snow in those locations. Has been for as long as there has been Lake Effect snow.  The typical wind direction favors Ski Country, the Southtowns, the Eastern Suburbs and the Buffalo Metro area near the airport in that order.

I am not sure why anyone would be surprised that Amherst, Tonawanda, NT, Grand Island, Niagara Falls, Lewiston, Lockport or any of the other northern areas are not hit as much. It's how it is almost every time there is a Lake Snow event.

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I heard it is already over 2 feet south of Hamburg.

Hamburg has 4+ feet as of a little after 1PM...could be close to 5 by now.

image.thumb.png.d7bec6d6d03c2995ce1ba2a3e5093738.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I heard it is already over 2 feet south of Hamburg.

Yeah I think about 3 feet.  Im not too worried about it.  I cleaned out the garage to park the car in there, got my snowblower ready, and did enough grocery shopping to last at least a week.  Just going to keep snow blowing to keep up with it.  My little blower doesnt do so well with a ton of snow.  I might run out of gas though as I forgot to get that =(

Sorry - I'm still fuzzy on this "flying out tomorrow" thing. I'm sure there is more detail somewhere on here, but was wondering if someone can just fill me in:  is the snow supposed to stop by tomorrow?

And how are the players supposed to get to the airport?

Just now, Success said:

Sorry - I'm still fuzzy on this "flying out tomorrow" thing. I'm sure there is more detail somewhere on here, but was wondering if someone can just fill me in:  is the snow supposed to stop by tomorrow?

And how are the players supposed to get to the airport?

It's supposed to move north of the airport tomorrow morning/afternoon.  I'm thinking Snowmobiles may be needed to pick up players 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

How will they fly out buried in snow?  Hence the makes no sense comment. 

At this point maybe they won't? There are plenty of reports that have been posted on their plans of how they're going to fly out. But again, at this point the way the weather is they may not even be going to Detroit? And from what I understand from the reports that I read they may leave as late as Sunday morning? But again the game was never going to be played in Buffalo with the weather the way it is right now. there would be no way it could be cleared out enough to play on that field.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

5 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

At this point maybe they won't? There are plenty of reports that have been posted on their plans of how they're going to fly out. But again, at this point the way the weather is they may not be even going to Detroit? And from what I understand from the reports that I read they may leave as late as Sunday morning? But again the game was never going to be played in Buffalo with the weather the way it is right now there would be no way it could be cleared out enough to play on that field.

The bold would only add to the bizarre and legendary events of this year. From cooked to death to not being get out of town due to 5 feet of snow. Throw in a botched snap in the end zone to lose against the Vikings, and we have a lot to forget about for this season! This is some crazy %$#@! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Seems like overall poor planning. If they couldn’t practice today, why not travel? 

You have a good point right there. They should have left Thursday night after they announced they were playing in Detroit. That way they could have got out of there before the storm really hit. I'm thinking they didn't really think it was going to be that bad when the storm was first reported to be coming. I Believe I read somewhere that Cleveland has already bused out of Cleveland to Detroit and likely are already there. While the bills are buried in orchard park. As Augie said above, this is some crazy s***, real crazy.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Seems like overall poor planning. If they couldn’t practice today, why not travel? 

I really don't believe there was any way they could travel today unless they would have done what Cleveland did and just left in a bus? At the end of the day this is a real big mess and it isn't as easy as it was the last time they had to go to Detroit. This storm it's starting to turn into historical measures.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

For all the "why did they move the game" people.  Would you be willing to go shovel that stuff out?

That crowd is hilarious. I love how many social media tough guys turned it into a toughness issue, when it’s actually a logistical crisis. There’s just no way to make it happen. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

At this point maybe they won't? There are plenty of reports that have been posted on their plans of how they're going to fly out. But again, at this point the way the weather is they may not be even going to Detroit? And from what I understand from the reports that I read they may leave as late as Sunday morning? But again the game was never going to be played in Buffalo with the weather the way it is right now there would be no way it could be cleared out enough to play on that field.

The plan is to fly out of Buffalo airport tomorrow (Saturday) in the AM.

I don't think it's a big deal, but people here seem to like trying to make it a big deal.

• Haha (+1) 1

For what it’s worth, I’m near the stadium in OP.   My street was plowed 12 hours ago and it hasn’t been touched since.  There’s at least three feet of snow in the road.  Objectively I think the national guard is going to have to come in to dig us out.  Or we wait for it to melt.  The town just let it go too far.  I’m skeptical the Bills can round everyone up to get out tomorrow.   I really am.  I’ll be surprised if we don’t play at 8p on Sunday and leave day of game.  

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.