Devin Singletary 1st half vs 2nd half

Rigotz

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This is the whole teams problem imo and the same issue cropped up at the midway point of last season but they figured it out down the stretch.

Dorsey seems to have 0 confidence in our teams ability to pick up 3 or 4 yards on a tough run that the defense knows is coming. That’s making us press hard for tds in the red zone and leading to critical errors

Well if Dorsey has 0 confidence then it pretty much back up what we're all saying.. The run game is once again woefully inconsistent as it has been.

No excuse to have the same problems as the year before when we supposedly had it figured out at the end of last season. To be going through the same problems mid season again is just unexcuseable

I'm pretty depressed about the Bills now. My expectations are gone.

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Does anyone have access to 1st half vs 2nd half stats?

I would be curious to see Singletary’s 1st half vs 2nd half stats, particularly because I have a theory that we don’t give him the ball enough in the 2nd half.

He looked great in the 1st half against the Vikings, then got 4 touches in the second half and that feels like a theme.

I know Motor is the one getting the carries but is this more of a Bills OC calls rather than who is actually getting the carries ? They just give up on it especially if it's working way to quick if they do get stopped a couple of times We're done give it to Josh all passes from here out .

Sure they will make adjustments if something is working but then the Bills need to counter those and keep them guessing & to take some pressure away from all Josh all the time !! They have the talent back there or at least that's what they made us think by bringing in Cook & Hines so use it !! 

44 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Well if Dorsey has 0 confidence then it pretty much back up what we're all saying.. The run game is once again woefully inconsistent as it has been.

No excuse to have the same problems as the year before when we supposedly had it figured out at the end of last season. To be going through the same problems mid season again is just unexcuseable

The oline was a mess and improved almost overnight towards the end of last year so you never know.  Even so it took multiple act of god level plays for a good team to beat us so I wouldn’t personally give up just yet 

47 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Bates on the wrong side is probably the problem.

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

These generalized stats are very misleading when it comes to the 2nd half. The way the Bills run the ball in the 2nd half of games is almost comical at this point. There's absolutely no rhythm to the run game. They'll run on first and get stuffed or pick up 4yds and then they'll go right back to passing on 2 and 3rd downs and even 4th downs. The most annoying thing I've seen on a few occasions is where they were in obvious 4 down situations where they knew they would be going for it on 4th down early on in the drive and they only run once and throw it 3x in a row. At the end of the day the run game is only going to get better if they commit to running the ball.

Edited by Santana
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Rigotz said:

The entire season he has 3 rushes on third down for a total of 2 yards.

0.7 YPC …. wow.

There’s your predictability. Either Josh runs on third and short, or he throws.

3 rushes on 3rd downs:

Bills have 37 3rd downs of 1-3yds. So Motor only rushed 3 times on 37 attempts. 

Bills are 13 for 37 (35%) on these 3rd and shorts. In comparison - MIA is 20-38 (53%), NYJ is 14 for 31 (45%), KC is 19 for 34 (56%), BAL is 24 for 34 (71%), TEN is 16 for 32 (50%). 

Below is Bills breakdown on the attempts. Your starting RB has less attempts than Moss and same as Cook. 

Allen passing 13-22 (includes 2 sacks)

Allen rushing 7-7

Moss 0-4

Singletary 1 for 3

Cook 1 for 3

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Does anyone have access to 1st half vs 2nd half stats?

I would be curious to see Singletary’s 1st half vs 2nd half stats, particularly because I have a theory that we don’t give him the ball enough in the 2nd half.

He looked great in the 1st half against the Vikings, then got 4 touches in the second half and that feels like a theme.

I think it goes back to the idea that the coaches simply don't trust him, especially after his latest turnover.

But it seems even when this team builds a lead and tries pounding the ball, they all look like Zack Moss back there no matter who touches it in the 2nd half.

Still think the bigger picture is the oline is just not as good as we want to believe outside of Dawkins and Morse (who has always been a poor run blocker vs his finess pass blocking strengths).

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The oline was a mess and improved almost overnight towards the end of last year so you never know.  Even so it took multiple act of god level plays for a good team to beat us so I wouldn’t personally give up just yet 

This team has to tear it up for multiple games pretty much mistake free before I can billieve again. We should not be in this position and the fact that we are says a lot. 

57 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Bates on the wrong side is probably the problem.

it goes farther then just that IMO.... scheme? talent? its not one position or one player thats the issue, it appears to be a collective of issues across the board. They have good plays and good series' then all of sudden it becomes unfixable problem... 
I'm at wits end trying to understand the how and why.

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The only reason we had a small uptick in running efficiency late last year was Daboll pulling his guards on outside runs. We're rarely doing that with Dorsey. The bottom line is McD has known for over 3 years our OL is deficient. Yet he continues to burn high draft picks on defense.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Seems to me the last time the Bills had rushing success was when FredEx was here and Shady,  I am guessing that the main issue is the RB's.  Not exactly like the Bills had some monster O-Line with Fred and Shady.  I was really hoping Kromer was going to make a big difference.  The Bills seem mildly obsessed with the athletic ability of their O-Line personnel.  Perhaps they just need some nasty road graders not pristine physical specimens who can run block worth a damn,

Bottom line.....some wins will salve the overall malaise that most TBD'ers.  I too expected much better after beating KC and Balt.  Sadly they are about where I would have thought before the season started but the loses were to different teams.

Will be interesting to see which Josh shows up on Ford Field This Sunday and next Thursday.

On 11/17/2022 at 5:47 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

On 11/17/2022 at 5:52 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

That looks like defenses figure out our run / blocking concepts at halftime and shut them down 

Cook not getting the ball in the 2nd half was shameful.  He looked good on his few touches.  I'm sure he would have loved a chance to respond to his brother's long TD with a big run of his own 

The stats are deceiving. A number of those 2nd half snaps are kill the clock runs.  Which is why his YPC is so different.  

He gets the ball as part of the offense trying to score probably 2-1 more in the first half than the second half.  More importantly, 92 ATT through 9 games is pathetic.  He should be over 120 at the very least and really be at 135+ total attempts.  

Devin had 16 points early in the game for me against Vikings in fantasy.  He finished with 16 points.  They stopped using him...again...despite 2 early TD's and him running so well.  He starts the game strong consistently, then he goes to sporadicially getting the ball and all the other RB's starting to mix in.

Its like they think Devin only has enough gas for the first 1.5 quarters of the game.  ITS SO FRUSTRATING DORSEY!  GIVE HIM THE BALL MORE!

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills don’t run the ball until they have a lead and they’re trying to run clock, but if they’re stuffed on 1st down, it’s back to the pass. Sometimes Motor gets an underneath dump off but our screen game is nonexistent. When you think of it, the OC is asking Josh to be the run game when his receivers are covered. It’s not sustainable and an indictment of Dorsey for his unimaginative offense. 

On 11/17/2022 at 9:09 AM, ddaryl said:

Our run game has been ***** for years. No consistency and Allen running has been the only real consistent bright spot, which isn't enough.  I still think OL is the biggest problem. Is it blocking schemes or just lack of top OL talent. RB's have also been underwhleming but I can't tell if its lack of vision... but the OL definitely is not making consistent holes

I think some of it is that our OLine is better at pulling and using athleticism than road grading and Singletary is more comfortable running behind road graders between the tackles. I would like to them start committing to Cook more he's fast enough to hit the edge, a better receiver, and a bigger threat to hit the home run. Singletary has done nothing to merit the amount of touches he's getting.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/17/2022 at 5:56 PM, Kwai San said:

Seems to me the last time the Bills had rushing success was when FredEx was here and Shady,  I am guessing that the main issue is the RB's.  Not exactly like the Bills had some monster O-Line with Fred and Shady.  I was really hoping Kromer was going to make a big difference.  The Bills seem mildly obsessed with the athletic ability of their O-Line personnel.  Perhaps they just need some nasty road graders not pristine physical specimens who can run block worth a damn

They weren’t world beaters, but rewinding a decade the interior Oline had highly drafted talent in Wood (1st), Levitre (2nd), Rinehart (3rd), etc. Say what you want about previous GMs, but they spent draft capital on interior Olinemen, and that translated to more success in the run game. They also took some risks on top talent with checkered history; some of which - Incognito- paid off.

With regards to draft position and physical talent….

2016 Offensive Line

Cordy Glenn (2nd)

Richie Incognito (3rd)

Eric Wood (1st)

John Miller (3rd)

Cyrus Kouandijo (2nd)

That line had issues, but it could physically dominate defensive lines in the run game, especially on the left side or with Incognito pulling. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.