Seriously, how complicated is our offense

Scott7975

Based on what we've seen in recent weeks not sure how complicated this offense is when it seems like they run the same handful off plays over and over again, with the entire passing game built around Diggs and the weird RB by committee thing in which every time Singletary actually gets going they decide to start giving carries to someone else.

In terms of Hines thought, get the feeling this is going to end up being a dud of a trade if anything because he's really just another Breida clone from last year and he was also hyped up and barely used in the end.

• Agree 1

Yeah, their tendency to slowly bring along rookies and new signings can get irritating. There are only so many plays to be run, it's more just about knowing the terminology and the checks and stuff. But even with that, I mean, dude been playing football his whole life, surely he can look at the playbook and see plays he ran in Indy just under different names here. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Einstein said:

Yeah I was assuming the Bills see Hines as more of a pass catcher than a runner.

Yeah this idea that he is somehow going to play slot-WR is half baked to me. 

He is 5'9" and not very fast. 

He doesn't play like a 4.38 WR. 

He plays like a small 4.50 running back catching dump off passes and getting tackled after 7-yards. 

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He is faster than both Diggs and Gabe Davis. Edit: and Cole Beasley

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He is faster than both Diggs and Gabe Davis. Edit: and Cole Beasley

Definitely isn't. 

Watch his Indy highlights.

He runs like a scat back, jumpy movements. 

It's not smooth. 

Hines is not capable of a 98-yard TD running away from DBs. 

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Definitely isn't. 

It's not smooth. 

You realize they test player speed at the combine right? Hines was faster than all 3.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah, their tendency to slowly bring along rookies and new signings can get irritating. There are only so many plays to be run, it's more just about knowing the terminology and the checks and stuff. But even with that, I mean, dude been playing football his whole life, surely he can look at the playbook and see plays he ran in Indy just under different names here. 

Every single player acquired at the trade deadline had an immediate impact on their new team except Hines.  If we’re going to dick around and not use these guys why the F did we waste the picks?

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Is our offense that complicated that a 5 year vet cant get some plays?  This is one thing I dont like about our coaches.  They dont trust anyone to play football and have to coddle everyone.

Teams around the league had players make plays after only being on the team for like 4 days.  Not our team though.  Our team needs rookies to get close to the end of their rookie contract before they see the field unless out of necessity.  Our team wont have Hines ready until next year.  

totally agree with this.  McD is overthinking everything.  Get the best players out there.  Have some plays for them.  McCaffrey still looks like a beast in San Fran.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He plays like a small 4.50 running back catching dump off passes and getting tackled after 7-yards. 

If you don't believe your own eyes when it comes to Hines, do you believe Allen's and Digg's? When they first saw Hines run in practice they turned to each other and commented on how fast he was.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

totally agree with this.  McD is overthinking everything.  Get the best players out there.  Have some plays for them.  McCaffrey still looks like a beast in San Fran.  

Yeah I agree too.  We always try to make simple process more complicated than it needs to be.  You teach the guy the basic's to your offense and the rest of the play or the results after the catch are always different when you're a running back coming out of the backfield.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

The offense is pretty vanilla.  There are no creative formations and very little misdirection.  To me it seems like McD and Dorsey want to brutalize the opponent with their execution and talent.  

This gets you so only far until there is enough tape on your offense to defend it.  Gotta rememeber....the guys on the other side of the ball are talented too.

Listening to Gabe Davis and Diggs interviews it seems the "creativity" comes from having options at the top of the route.

They can execute 3 different routes on most plays according on coverage. Which requires chemistry with the QB, which would lend to the thinking of it taking more time to get guys involved. It would also explain motor getting more plays than Cook when , IMO, Cook is clearly better.

Not defending them necessarily, just trying to piece together what's going on with logic.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Beasley had training camp. And didn't run at RB or on STs, so his role was much less complex.

Beasley also in the years when he was one of our best two or three options put up 11.6 and 11.8 Y/R. Hines has never been that dynamic. His high is 7.8. 

He's right, you're imagining a different Hines. Comparing him to Beasley or Davis just doesn't make sense.

Im not comparing him to Beasley or Davis.  Follow the entire conversation. Saying that Hines "only" had 86 touches or whatever was is a nonsensical arguement.

Im not imagining a different Hines.  Im imagining a guy that can play RB, Slot, and punt/kick return.  He is fast and a very good pass catching back.  Thats what I am imagining and thats what he is.  Is he elite? No but he is very good and he is fast. He ran a 4.38 40 which makes him the fastest offensive guy on our team. 

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He is the fastest guy on our team. Getting tackled after 7-8 yards is basically what pass catching backs do until they break one.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Definitely isn't. 

It's not smooth. 

Yeah certainly slow and not capable. 2 punt return TDs in one game:

Beats the DBs for 34 yard TD

https://www.colts.com/video/highlight-nyheim-hines-scores-on-34-yard-cutback-td-run

Why does it have to be 98 yards?  Thats the measuring stick?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.