Deadline to announce move to Detroit ??????????????

Gisele

Just now, Buffalo619 said:

This is your typical 2022 overreaction. Storm will be over by Saturday morning.  If it’s bad, they have plenty of time to clear. 

I thought this was supposed to go into Sunday. If it stops Saturday morning, then it shouldn't be a problem. The roads can be cleared by Sunday morning. Plows will be going 24-7 on this. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

This is your typical 2022 overreaction. Storm will be over by Saturday morning.  If it’s bad, they have plenty of time to clear. 

How much snow did you get during Snowvember 2014?

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I thought this was supposed to go into Sunday. If it stops Saturday morning, then it shouldn't be a problem. The roads can be cleared by Sunday morning. Plows will be going 24-7 on this. 

Bands are oscillating Saturday afternoon/night. 80% chance of snow Saturday night. There is a reason the warning period ends 1 PM Sunday and not 1PM Saturday.

Edited by Big Turk

18 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

This is the hesitancy.  If the heavy lake effect was through Sat night into Sunday, moving would be a no brainer.  But the NFL prob knows the weather will be fine on gameday.  What makes it tough is the media throwing out "Historic" snow and at least one even suggested this could rival the largest snowfall in a couple days on record.   

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

This is the hesitancy.  If the heavy lake effect was through Sat night into Sunday, moving would be a no brainer.  But the NFL prob knows the weather will be fine on gameday.  What makes it tough is the media throwing out "Historic" snow and at least one even suggested this could rival the largest snowfall in a couple days on record.   

I guess people have no clue what oscillating snow bands are.  There is an 80% chance of snow Saturday night.

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, henry jones said:

If it's ending earlier on Sunday, can't they just move the start time back?  I realize they play on Thanksgiving, but is 3 to 6 hours really going to affect their preparation time?

It is mind boggling how people think a few hours is going to make a big difference with this type of snowfall being forecasted. I can only assume most of the people talking like this either live in WNY in places that gets little snow from these like the Northtowns or only have foggy memories from living here decades ago...or don't live here and have never seen anything close to snowfall totals like this.

Nobody who lived through Snowvember talks like this.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, henry jones said:

If it's ending earlier on Sunday, can't they just move the start time back?  I realize they play on Thanksgiving, but is 3 to 6 hours really going to affect their preparation time?

Again it’s not about the weather during the game. It’s the clearing of the snow that will be in and around the stadium and the resources needed to do that that are needed around the city 

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly - the game day conditions are the least of the concerns.  Teams play in snow every year, and whether it impacts the Bills advantage really shouldn't impact the decision.  The issue is whether the roads will be safe for travel.  Watching and/or playing a game is non-necessary.  If every indication is that the roads won't be cleared for non-necessary travel by Sunday morning, the game should be moved IMO to protect the tens of thousands that would still attend, the road crews, and emergency responders.  

Edited by DasNootz

36 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

As a pilot who has flown NFL charters it’s definitely not as easy as “fire up the ole jet, let’s go to Detroit.”  The Bills charter a plane with big airline, usually a wide body 767 that is planned way in advance.  The big airlines don’t keep a standby 767 for sports charter purposes.  To fly out quickly last minute today would be a real challenge.  They would have likely had to plan this yesterday or day before.  I suppose they could always take buses last minute.  😂 

Depot maintenance flight plus no-notice checkride = done deal. :)

6 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Honestly - the game day conditions are the least of the concerns.  Teams play in snow every year, and whether it impacts the Bills advantage really shouldn't impact the decision.  The issue is whether the roads will be safe for travel.  Watching and/or playing a game is non-necessary.  If every indication is that the roads won't be cleared for non-necessary travel by Sunday morning, the game should be moved IMO to protect the tens of thousands that would still attend, the road crews, and emergency responders.  

I am just basing this on instinct, but I would suggest the game will NOT be moved.

And that driving around WNY will be dicey on Sunday morning.  It will be up to each individual to decide how bad they want to get out there for the game.

I think the stadium will be a LONG way from full.  Maybe even half full, depending on what the storm does and when and where it does it.

19 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

For what its worth, I have a friend that works in Game Day Ops in Detroit. Just texted me saying they have an emergency meeting at 4pm to discuss the game being moved. 

Assuming you and your friend are being honest, this strongly suggests an announcement will come later this afternoon 

21 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

For what its worth, I have a friend that works in Game Day Ops in Detroit. Just texted me saying they have an emergency meeting at 4pm to discuss the game being moved. 

The last guy that claimed there were high level meetings didn’t fare well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

We're much better off if this game gets moved to Ford Field. We've been conservative in addressing injuries - we aren't going to want to bring in Edmunds on a bum foot, Tre White in a snow game recovering from an ACL, Kaiir with a lower body issue, Poyer coming to the line for 75 snaps with a bum elbow as the Browns choose not to throw it, Josh potentially having mild issues with his grip, etc.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

As a pilot who has flown NFL charters it’s definitely not as easy as “fire up the ole jet, let’s go to Detroit.”  The Bills charter a plane with big airline, usually a wide body 767 that is planned way in advance.  The big airlines don’t keep a standby 767 for sports charter purposes.  To fly out quickly last minute today would be a real challenge.  They would have likely had to plan this yesterday or day before.  I suppose they could always take buses last minute.  😂 

Yep.  This season they've been flying on Delta 767's and they usually come from hubs JFK or Detroit.   Maybe there's a couple planes sitting around today, waiting to be fired up....and an available crew too!  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.