Deadline to announce move to Detroit ??????????????

Gisele

12 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I used to work in that mausoleum. Love the city, hate the stadium.

I've been in there many times over the years for baseball, and the annual auto show.

It's an interesting piece of engineering, but it SUCKS as a venue for anything.  

• Agree 1

• Simon changed the title to Deadline to announce move to Detroit ??????????????
2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

That's ridiculous, they play 8 games a year in Detroit.

Is that the same sort of dome?

The Carrier Dome (or whatever they call it now) is one of those weird things where the roof is a flexible fabric of sorts and it's help up with internal air pressure; if you open all the doors the roof will deflate.

Maybe that has something to do with it?  Is that how Detroit is?

21 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The Carrier Dome (or whatever they call it now) is one of those weird things where the roof is a flexible fabric of sorts and it's help up with internal air pressure; if you open all the doors the roof will deflate.

I'm just saying Detroit is a ****hole.

So... we are in the process of designing a new stadium... we chose not to have a dome or retractable roof. Now we have a storm and are talking about moving a game, again? 

This is a really bad look. Honestly with how bad the weather and snowfall can get to make the stadium unplayable leading up to a game it's inexcusable we aren't designing a retractable roof to protect the playing surface and stadium. 

We should have that roof closed then open prior to gametime unless weather is so severe we need it closed for the game. 

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

So... we are in the process of designing a new stadium... we chose not to have a dome or retractable roof. Now we have a storm and are talking about moving a game, again? 

This is a really bad look. Honestly with how bad the weather and snowfall can get to make the stadium unplayable leading up to a game it's inexcusable we aren't designing a retractable roof to protect the playing surface and stadium. 

We should have that roof closed then open prior to gametime unless weather is so severe we need it closed for the game. 

Game can be playable in any weather outside of lightning. It’s getting people to and from the stadium. It has nothing to do with dome vs no dome

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

And built in the city… just like Tottenham.

image.thumb.jpeg.d8455e58bc3974db59dce476d7bfff95.jpeg

1 hour ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I used to work in that mausoleum. Love the city, hate the stadium.

The stadium definitely lends itself to the mausoleum feel, but I think Toronto sports fans have a lot to do with it. The SkyDome is rocking during the MLB playoffs, but Toronto fans are typically indifferent. 

41 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think Syracuse put a new roof on several years ago. It’s some type of metal-fabric that’s supported by arches. It’s no longer air supported. I think the old air supported roof was one of the last of its kind. The old Minneapolis dome used to have the same setup if I’m not mistaken. 

16 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Isn't Orchard Park also in the heart of the lake snow zone ?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Game can be playable in any weather outside of lightning. It’s getting people to and from the stadium. It has nothing to do with dome vs no dome

No way dude, it's also about clearing the stadium out and making it accessible with a playable field. 

The team pays fans $10/hr or whatever to help shovel out to make the games happen in this lol

You protect the playing surface and stadium with a retractable roof you can plow the lots easily. 

4 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Isn't Orchard Park also in the heart of the lake snow zone ?

That’s the main issue, dome or not. Drive a few miles north, and it’s likely travel won’t be impossible, even if there is a decent amount of snow. I remember visiting family in North Buffalo while the Weather Channel discussed how travel in “Buffalo” was a no go. With that said, they are saying this storm might hit the entire area quite hard. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Way too expensive.  Just build a dome

39 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

If Miami had a dome would they play during a hurricane?  For Pete’s sake a cancellation would be about people getting in and out safely and a dome does bupkus for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

That’s the main issue, dome or not. Drive a few miles north, and it’s likely travel won’t be impossible, even if there is a decent amount of snow. I remember visiting family in North Buffalo while the Weather Channel discussed how travel in “Buffalo” was a no go. With that said, they are saying this storm might hit the entire area quite hard. 

During Snowvember they were still raking leaves in Niagara County 

I know... @BringBackFergy doesn't want me to school everyone on the meaning of "microclimate." Don't make me go there!😉 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

If Miami had a dome would they play during a hurricane?  For Pete’s sake a cancellation would be about people getting in and out safely and a dome does bupkus for that.

Current weather reports have no snow on Sunday, it's the fact the stadium will be unplayable. Current weather reports have 1-3 inches on Saturday and nothing on Sunday.  The heavy stuff his Thursday according to Weather.Com right now. 

It's about clearing and removing snow in time, which a retractable roof does wonders for.

With all the money the team makes its honestly embarrassing they got to pay fans $15/hr to shovel in order to get the stadium ready to play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.