Super Bowl Winning Head Coaches

section122

11 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

You are completely missing the point. The consistent playoff exposure for their teams resulted in super bowl. It wasn't some magic bullet the head coach had or else they would have won more of them. Outside of Belichick, winning a super bowl is building a roster, and getting to the playoffs and trying to make sure the ball lands our way throughout the playoffs to get there.

None of these coaches (outside of Belichick) are going to take this roster and say "oh, just do this and this and suppppeeerrrrr booooowwllll!!!!". And I say Belichick because he would bring his conniving ways to fix it in his favor.

As someone else said, Belichick and the Patriots really ruined your guys perception of what it takes to win a super bowl.

Half of this board would jump at Sean Payton despite a pretty terrible no playoff record of 40% with Drew Brees at QB.

Seeing Payton's name is exactly what prompted me to make this thread, thank you for typing out the record he had.  You are spot on with this entire post.  Football is fluky.  All you can do is consistently make it to the playoffs by having your teams competitive and ready.  Each year McD has done that.

A great example that comes to mind was firing Marty Schottenheimer by the Chargers and then they wasted a ton of Rivers career trying to get even close to his level of success.

Here is some more food for thought for those on the ledge and complaining:

Since 2017 when McD took over a team that had gone through a 17 year drought:

the Bills have the 9th best record in the entire NFL.  https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/best-nfl-record-since-2017

the Bills have the 7th most playoff wins in the NFL https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/best-nfl-playoff-record-since-2017

Since 2020 when allen came into his own:

the Bills have the 2nd best record in the entire NFL.  https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/best-nfl-record-since-2020

the Bills have the 4th most playoff wins: https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/best-nfl-playoff-record-since-2020

It really is mind boggling the lack of respect he gets for being a top 10 coach at a bare minimum immediately upon his arrival. 

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hunh. I could not have named Kubiak if you'd asked me who had coached that team. Interesting.

Kubiak was never a guy who ate up much press time or ink, did he?

I won't lie I had to look that up as I thought it was John Fox.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, section122 said:

Every coach makes calls that can be correct because they worked or gaffes because they don't imo.  Every game calls get made that can be headscratchers or genius by every coach in the nfl.

As i mentioned in the op, the defender was in position so the play call was good.  Do we really think he hasn't been taught to knock it down there if even us at home know that's the right play? The fumble for td was a fumbled snap.  One of the easiest and routine plays in football do we really think they need better coaching on that?

If either of those plays are made, the Bills win and are 7-2.  That's how close each game is and why people shouldn't overreact.  I agree with you on trusting the coaching staff. It hurts losing especially the way they find to do so but this is still a damn good team with damn good coaches.

Let's start with one.  Then we will all probably get greedy lol

Are you McDermott's agent?  I guess you really love his coaching.  The team is not a ***** show.  But in a lot of big situations the team has come up short.  Yes players have to make plays.  And we did not make enough of them on Sunday to beat the Vikings.  But the head coach sets the tone.  Along with your QB.  And McDermott comes off as very uptight.  And we tend to play that way in key situations.  He doesn't give off the confidence of a leader that knows his team is going to win as long as we play our game.  I think that is needed to be a Super Bowl champion.

• Vomit 2
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Are you McDermott's agent?  I guess you really love his coaching.  The team is not a ***** show.  But in a lot of big situations the team has come up short.  Yes players have to make plays.  And we did not make enough of them on Sunday to beat the Vikings.  But the head coach sets the tone.  Along with your QB.  And McDermott comes off as very uptight.  And we tend to play that way in key situations.  He doesn't give off the confidence of a leader that knows his team is going to win as long as we play our game.  I think that is needed to be a Super Bowl champion.

You can call me Mrs. McDermott lol.  Did you read the OP?  Did you see how hard it is to win 1 super bowl?  Who is the best coach in the NFL right now today?

Is it Belichick? snuck into the playoffs and got waxed by the Bills?

Is it Andy Reid? Who has won 1 super bowl in over 20 years of coaching and for the last 5 has at a minimum top 3 qb in the league?

Is it John Harbaugh? He missed the playoffs and the last time he was in the playoffs got beat by the Bills

Is it Sean McVay? He has a 3-6 record

Is it Mike Tomlin? He hasn't sniffed a superbowl in forever

He doesn't have the confidence we are going to win if we play our way?  That's crazy talk to me.  People are complaining about his sticking with the nickel even when teams are gashing us.  Isn't that confidence in the way we play?  He went for it on 4th and 2 when many wanted a fg (myself included) isn't that confidence in his team?

Name a coach, any coach, and I will show you a key situation where the call they made didn't work out.  That is football.  The hail Murray hurt but Hopkins was literally triple covered.  How in the world is that on coaching?

I'm not his agent but I recognize that he is a great coach and one the Bills would be very hard pressed to improve upon.  So I go back to my previous challenges.  Who do you want? Pick any coach you want and I will show you a gaffe they made or an incorrect call that they made.  Don't let perfect be the enemy of very good.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Tom Coughlin’s uptightness is the reason he never won a Super Bowl right?

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Tom Coughlin’s uptightness is the reason he never won a Super Bowl right?

Coughlin was old school, and came off uptight and cranky with his off the field rules in meetings, practices, players behavior, etc.  On the field coaching he seemed more intense then uptight.  Definitely more animated then McDermott.  

10 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Coughlin was old school, and came off uptight and cranky with his off the field rules in meetings, practices, players behavior, etc.  On the field coaching he seemed more intense then uptight.  Definitely more animated then McDermott.  

You make a lot of assumptions on people you've never met.  

On 11/15/2022 at 5:13 PM, section122 said:

My how quick we turn on everyone associated with the Bills.  This thread is a simple reminder as some think it is super bowl or bust for McD.  As if winning the super bowl is some easy feat that coaches do all the time.  If McD gets fired who is he replaced with? Here is the list of current Head Coaches that have won a super bowl and how many they have won:

Bill B. 6 

Andy Reid 1 in over 20 years as a HC

Sean McVay 1, shining star in LA, currently 3-6 and in last place in the division 

Doug Pederson 1, already fired from that job, Eagles haven't been past the wild card round since

Pete Carrol 1, in his 13th year with Seattle

John Harbaugh 1, in 13 years

Mike McCarthy 1, in 14 years, fired from that job, Packers haven't been to the super bowl since

Mike Tomlin 1, in 14 years, has been to 1 AFC Championship game since 2010

Maybe you prefer a recently unemployed coach?

Sean Payton 1, in 15 seasons, been to 1 NFC championship game since winning it all in 09

Bruce Arians 1, retired, great coach, not coming back, won it with Brady

Jon Gruden 1, retired, mediocre coach, not coming back, won because his replacement didn't change signals.

Or maybe you prefer a long since retired guy? (none of these guys are coming back)

Tom Coughlin 2

Gary Kubiak 1

Tony Dungy 1

Bill Cowher 1

That is the last 21 super bowls.  13 guys have won it 1 time. 2 guys more than once. 1 guy more than twice.  Winning a super bowl requires not only a tremendous amount of skill but also luck.  McD has the best winning percentage for any coach in Bills history.  They have lost 3 games to teams with a combined record of 21-7.  2 of them were divisional games on the road.  All 3 combined were by 8 points.

BBFS says they always find a way to lose, polyanna says it takes herculean efforts from other teams to beat the Bills.  The truth is the Bills are a good team and a well coached team.  McD didn't give up a long completion on 4th and 18.  The player was even in position to make the play so you can't blame playcalling. Hyde and Poyer have missed how many games and yet the d continues to be effective save for last game. Milano, Oliver, Edmunds, and Rousseau have all missed games. Come back from the ledge.

Raiders where not bearing Tampa Bay even if they made those changes. The 02 bucs are one of the best teams ever

Here is why people are disappointed to some degree with McDermott:

Current QBs with Super Bowl Appearances in NO PARTICULAR ORDER
1)Tom Brady

2)Aaron Rodgers

3)Patrick Mahomes

4)Matthew Stafford

5)Joe Burrows

6)Jimmy G. 

7)Matt Ryan
8)Russell Wilson

QBs without super bowl appearances IN ORDER OF TALENT LEVEL

1) Josh Allen

2) Everyone else

McDermott has done less with more at the QB position than any other current NFL coach.  When you drill down through all the pros and cons for Coach McDermott it boils down to this.  Expectations are high. People expect him to deliver to these high expectations and so far he has not. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Here is why people are disappointed to some degree with McDermott:

Current QBs with Super Bowl Appearances in NO PARTICULAR ORDER
1)Tom Brady

2)Aaron Rodgers

3)Patrick Mahomes

4)Matthew Stafford

5)Joe Burrows

6)Jimmy G. 

7)Matt Ryan
8)Russell Wilson

QBs without super bowl appearances IN ORDER OF TALENT LEVEL

1) Josh Allen

2) Everyone else

McDermott has done less with more at the QB position than any other current NFL coach.  When you drill down through all the pros and cons for Coach McDermott it boils down to this.  Expectations are high. People expect him to deliver to these high expectations and so far he has not. 

I don't understand this list.  You named multiple QB's who didn't get to the Super Bowl with their current HC.

Matt Stafford got to a Super Bowl after his 13th year.

Matt LeFleur has had the back to back MVP and has been a playoff disappointment since he arrived. 

Justin Herbert is a young and rising star and he's under .500 for his career.  

Lamar Jackson?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't understand this list.  You named multiple QB's who didn't get to the Super Bowl with their current HC.

Matt Stafford got to a Super Bowl after his 13th year.

Matt LeFleur has had the back to back MVP and has been a playoff disappointment since he arrived. 

Justin Herbert is a young and rising star and he's under .500 for his career.  

Lamar Jackson?  

I agree. You don't understand. 

Just now, Chaos said:

I agree. You don't understand. 

It doesn't make any sense.

This is a thread about HC's and you named a bunch of current QB's who have been to a Super Bowl without their current HC.

Matt LeFleur hasn't gotten Rodgers to the Super Bowl.  

Matt Ryan didn't get to a Super Bowl with Arthur Smith.

Wilson didn't go to the Super Bowl with Hackett.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/15/2022 at 4:13 PM, section122 said:

My how quick we turn on everyone associated with the Bills.  This thread is a simple reminder as some think it is super bowl or bust for McD.  As if winning the super bowl is some easy feat that coaches do all the time.  If McD gets fired who is he replaced with? Here is the list of current Head Coaches that have won a super bowl and how many they have won:

Bill B. 6 

Sean McVay 1, shining star in LA, currently 3-6 and in last place in the division 

Doug Pederson 1, already fired from that job, Eagles haven't been past the wild card round since

Mike McCarthy 1, in 14 years, fired from that job, Packers haven't been to the super bowl since

Sean Payton 1, in 15 seasons, been to 1 NFC championship game since winning it all in 09

Jon Gruden 1, retired, mediocre coach, not coming back, won because his replacement didn't change signals.

Or maybe you prefer a long since retired guy? (none of these guys are coming back)

Tom Coughlin 2

Gary Kubiak 1

Tony Dungy 1

Bill Cowher 1

That is the last 21 super bowls.  13 guys have won it 1 time. 2 guys more than once. 1 guy more than twice.  Winning a super bowl requires not only a tremendous amount of skill but also luck.  McD has the best winning percentage for any coach in Bills history.  They have lost 3 games to teams with a combined record of 21-7.  2 of them were divisional games on the road.  All 3 combined were by 8 points.

BBFS says they always find a way to lose, polyanna says it takes herculean efforts from other teams to beat the Bills.  The truth is the Bills are a good team and a well coached team.  McD didn't give up a long completion on 4th and 18.  The player was even in position to make the play so you can't blame playcalling. Hyde and Poyer have missed how many games and yet the d continues to be effective save for last game. Milano, Oliver, Edmunds, and Rousseau have all missed games. Come back from the ledge.

You forgot the Hoodie. He loves Josh. Perhaps he can come and cheat for us 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It doesn't make any sense.

This is a thread about HC's and you named a bunch of current QB's who have been to a Super Bowl without their current HC.

Matt LeFleur hasn't gotten Rodgers to the Super Bowl.  

Matt Ryan didn't get to a Super Bowl with Arthur Smith.

Wilson didn't go to the Super Bowl with Hackett.  

I understand it.

It's chaos.

2 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

You forgot the Hoodie. He loves Josh. Perhaps he can come and cheat for us 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Bill B is mentioned in his post.

Imagine if he was our DC...

On 11/15/2022 at 5:13 PM, section122 said:

Bill B. 6 

Tom Coughlin 2

Gary Kubiak 1

Tony Dungy 1

Bill Cowher 1

Thanks for taking the time to assemble those stats and give a little perspective.  I suspect the crowd crying "fire_______ "(fill in the blank) are part of the instant gratification generation who've never considered how difficult getting to and winning the superbowl is.  Brady/Belichick set an unrealistic bar that is unlikely to be seen again in our lifetimes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.