Super Bowl Winning Head Coaches

section122

My how quick we turn on everyone associated with the Bills.  This thread is a simple reminder as some think it is super bowl or bust for McD.  As if winning the super bowl is some easy feat that coaches do all the time.  If McD gets fired who is he replaced with? Here is the list of current Head Coaches that have won a super bowl and how many they have won:

Bill B. 6 

Andy Reid 1 in over 20 years as a HC

Sean McVay 1, shining star in LA, currently 3-6 and in last place in the division 

Doug Pederson 1, already fired from that job, Eagles haven't been past the wild card round since

Pete Carrol 1, in his 13th year with Seattle

John Harbaugh 1, in 13 years

Mike McCarthy 1, in 14 years, fired from that job, Packers haven't been to the super bowl since

Mike Tomlin 1, in 14 years, has been to 1 AFC Championship game since 2010

Maybe you prefer a recently unemployed coach?

Sean Payton 1, in 15 seasons, been to 1 NFC championship game since winning it all in 09

Bruce Arians 1, retired, great coach, not coming back, won it with Brady

Jon Gruden 1, retired, mediocre coach, not coming back, won because his replacement didn't change signals.

Or maybe you prefer a long since retired guy? (none of these guys are coming back)

Tom Coughlin 2

Gary Kubiak 1

Tony Dungy 1

Bill Cowher 1

That is the last 21 super bowls.  13 guys have won it 1 time. 2 guys more than once. 1 guy more than twice.  Winning a super bowl requires not only a tremendous amount of skill but also luck.  McD has the best winning percentage for any coach in Bills history.  They have lost 3 games to teams with a combined record of 21-7.  2 of them were divisional games on the road.  All 3 combined were by 8 points.

BBFS says they always find a way to lose, polyanna says it takes herculean efforts from other teams to beat the Bills.  The truth is the Bills are a good team and a well coached team.  McD didn't give up a long completion on 4th and 18.  The player was even in position to make the play so you can't blame playcalling. Hyde and Poyer have missed how many games and yet the d continues to be effective save for last game. Milano, Oliver, Edmunds, and Rousseau have all missed games. Come back from the ledge.

Edited by section122
add stat for McVay
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 15
  • Thank you (+1) 19

6 minutes ago, section122 said:

My how quick we turn on everyone associated with the Bills.  This thread is a simple reminder as some think it is super bowl or bust for McD.  As if winning the super bowl is some easy feat that coaches do all the time.  If McD gets fired who is he replaced with? Here is the list of current Head Coaches that have won a super bowl and how many they have won:

Bill B. 6 

Andy Reid 1 in over 20 years as a HC

Sean McVay 1, shining star in LA, currently 3-6 and in last place in the division 

Doug Pederson 1, already fired from that job, Eagles haven't been past the wild card round since

Pete Carrol 1, in his 13th year with Seattle

John Harbaugh 1, in 13 years

Mike McCarthy 1, in 14 years, fired from that job, Packers haven't been to the super bowl since

Mike Tomlin 1, in 14 years, has been to 1 AFC Championship game since 2010

Maybe you prefer a recently unemployed coach?

Sean Payton 1, in 15 seasons, been to 1 NFC championship game since winning it all in 09

Bruce Arians 1, retired, great coach, not coming back, won it with Brady

Jon Gruden 1, retired, mediocre coach, not coming back, won because his replacement didn't change signals.

Or maybe you prefer a long since retired guy? (none of these guys are coming back)

Tom Coughlin 2

Gary Kubiak 1

Tony Dungy 1

Bill Cowher 1

That is the last 21 super bowls.  13 guys have won it 1 time. 2 guys more than once. 1 guy more than twice.  Winning a super bowl requires not only a tremendous amount of skill but also luck.  McD has the best winning percentage for any coach in Bills history.  They have lost 3 games to teams with a combined record of 21-7.  2 of them were divisional games on the road.  All 3 combined were by 8 points.

BBFS says they always find a way to lose, polyanna says it takes herculean efforts from other teams to beat the Bills.  The truth is the Bills are a good team and a well coached team.  McD didn't give up a long completion on 4th and 18.  The player was even in position to make the play so you can't blame playcalling. Hyde and Poyer have missed how many games and yet the d continues to be effective save for last game. Milano, Oliver, Edmunds, and Rousseau have all missed games. Come back from the ledge.

It looks that bad mainly because the NE Patriots dominated for two decades.  As well as won 60% of SB they played in.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

It looks that bad mainly because the NE Patriots dominated for two decades.  As well as won 60% of SB they played in.

I really think the Patriots in general messed up all fans not just Bills fans idea of how easy it is to win.  What they did is outrageous and such an outlier.  Of course it required a bit of rule manipulation but there is no denying how impressive it was.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

I have nothing to add here other than it's my 1000th post! Took over 3 years to reach. At this pace, 80 more years and I will catch some of the mods 😀

Go Bills! 

This post made me look.  This topic was post 5500 for me in 13 years lol. Congrats to your milestone!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yes, I agree with all of this. I just feel like McD makes a lot of mental gaffes in really important games. I’m in no way advocating replacing him at all. My whole life has been during the drought so it’s awesome to finally be a competitive team again. I love what Beane & McD have done building a winner. I hope he’s here for the next 20 years. But with that said, last Sunday Bills took a huge L that could’ve been avoided w/ better coaching. 13 seconds was another massive L potentially costing us a Super Bowl that could’ve been avoided if coaches and players were on the same page. Improvements need to be made and I trust this coaching staff to make them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Look, if McDermott wins 2 titles with Josh he will be a God. I don't care if it's year 5/6 or year 10/11. 

Hopefully that happens lol. Not many people getting to the championship every year, Andy Reid couldn't do it without Mahomes. 

I'll settle for one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I'll settle for one.

Me too.

This is the debate my cousin and I have all the time. 

He wants multiple titles. Which, coming on the heels of the Patriots dynasty and seeing how special Josh Allen is, is somewhat reasonable.

Me? I just need one. One world title and I'll never ask for anything else again in my football watching life. We could go back to being perennial doormats and I won't care. Just one world title before I die. I need to know what it feels like. Just one. Is that so much to ask?

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Yes, I agree with all of this. I just feel like McD makes a lot of mental gaffes in really important games. I’m in no way advocating replacing him at all. My whole life has been during the drought so it’s awesome to finally be a competitive team again. I love what Beane & McD have done building a winner. I hope he’s here for the next 20 years. But with that said, last Sunday Bills took a huge L that could’ve been avoided w/ better coaching. 13 seconds was another massive L potentially costing us a Super Bowl that could’ve been avoided if coaches and players were on the same page. Improvements need to be made and I trust this coaching staff to make them. 

Every coach makes calls that can be correct because they worked or gaffes because they don't imo.  Every game calls get made that can be headscratchers or genius by every coach in the nfl.

As i mentioned in the op, the defender was in position so the play call was good.  Do we really think he hasn't been taught to knock it down there if even us at home know that's the right play? The fumble for td was a fumbled snap.  One of the easiest and routine plays in football do we really think they need better coaching on that?

If either of those plays are made, the Bills win and are 7-2.  That's how close each game is and why people shouldn't overreact.  I agree with you on trusting the coaching staff. It hurts losing especially the way they find to do so but this is still a damn good team with damn good coaches.

27 minutes ago, Logic said:

Me too.

This is the debate my cousin and I have all the time. 

He wants multiple titles. Which, coming on the heels of the Patriots dynasty and seeing how special Josh Allen is, is somewhat reasonable.

Me? I just need one. One world title and I'll never ask for anything else again in my football watching life. We could go back to being perennial doormats and I won't care. Just one world title before I die. I need to know what it feels like. Just one. Is that so much to ask?

Let's start with one.  Then we will all probably get greedy lol

40 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Look, if McDermott wins 2 titles with Josh he will be a God. I don't care if it's year 5/6 or year 10/11. 

Hopefully that happens lol. Not many people getting to the championship every year, Andy Reid couldn't do it without Mahomes. 

He won because he faced a bigger choker as HC in the SB..

The question should no longer be “is Ken Dorsey a good OC?”  

The question needs to be are we risking a generational QB by playing OC roulette and trying out newbies for the job while we’re in the middle of a SB window - we have this roster but let’s see if the new OC gets it together.  I’m sure this has been discussed among some on this team - nothing detrimental - but enough to put in enough doubt.  

Stability for your HOF QB - offensive minded Head Coach might be how this has to end. 

I’d prefer it be much sooner then later.  

If I’m Beane - or whoever has to make this call - that’s the very blunt discussion that has to happen.  

The Chargers are going to fire Staley if they don’t make the playoffs and hire Sean Payton.  

I’m obviously rooting for McD - I love the guy. He’s my pfp for a reason.  But if this season goes south - and it’s far from it - I’m sorry but I’m going to approach it like a logical fan and tell it like it is because we can’t waste Josh Allen’s prime years hoping McD gets OC right and Ken figures it out.  

Edited by Big Blitz

I look at it this way... was the 2006 super bowl winning colts roster their best team?  Probably not, but they played a great 4 games in the playoffs.  They didn't have a first round bye, and won an away game.  They won an ugly game against KC and a slugfest with the #1 defense ravens in baltimore.  They got the playoff monkey off their back and beat NE.  

To summarize - Football is weird and unpredictable.  

3 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Kubiak won a Super Bowl?  Must of missed that.  For who?

Denver Broncos with Peyton.

18 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The question should no longer be “is Ken Dorsey a good OC?”  

The question needs to be are we risking a generational QB by playing OC roulette and trying out newbies for the job while we’re in the middle of a SB window - we have this roster but let’s see if the new OC gets it together.  I’m sure this has been discussed among some on this team - nothing detrimental - but enough to put in enough doubt.  

Stability for your HOF QB - offensive minded Head Coach might be how this has to end. 

I’d prefer it be much sooner then later.  

If I’m Beane - or whoever has to make this call - that’s the very blunt discussion that has to happen.  

The Chargers are going to fire Staley if they don’t make the playoffs and hire Sean Payton.  

I’m obviously rooting for McD - I love the guy. He’s my pfp for a reason.  But if this season goes south - and it’s far from it - I’m sorry but I’m going to approach it like a logical fan and tell it like it is because we can’t waste Josh Allen’s prime years hoping McD gets OC right and Ken figures it out.  

The same Sean Payton that went to the Super Bowl once in 14 years with Drew freaken Brees? 

I swear guys.....

7 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I look at it this way... was the 2006 super bowl winning colts roster their best team?  Probably not, but they played a great 4 games in the playoffs.  They didn't have a first round bye, and won an away game.  They won an ugly game against KC and a slugfest with the #1 defense ravens in baltimore.  They got the playoff monkey off their back and beat NE.  

To summarize - Football is weird and unpredictable.  

Denver Broncos with Peyton.

Thats why you don't get rid of a coach that consistently gets you in the playoffs year after year. If we start missing the playoffs consistently then McDermott is in the hotseat but until then every year we get into the playoffs is another shot at winning that streak of games and it all.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.