2022 FIFA World Cup

Logic

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm not doubting anyone's love or appreciation of the game or their authenticity.  I get it that other sports have their own vocabulary and in discussing those sports its a natural thing to do. 

Its just funny to me that in doing so we use our posh voices. Especially, since soccer fans as a group are notoriously boorish, violent, hooligans.  

It's just different vocab for different sports

Unconscious usually when discussing soccer vs football tbh

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Unlucky?  They were being dominated in the first half. Actually lucky they weren't down by 2 when Sargent hit the post on his header.

Wales were at least as dangerous second half as we were in the first

Their plan was better imo, for all the talk about the new US approach this looked very much like the plucky underdogs not knowing how to handle the big stage but without the grittiness of a Donovan/Dempsey or going back further McBride etc etc

countless millions of people witnessing USA TIE Wales.  I take it that we were supposed to beat this team handily?

Senor muppy (hubby) is retired premiere leagues youth soccer Coach Class B license. He will set his clock for games come hell or high water.

I hope USA does well in the tournament. I am very novice.

m

10 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Its just funny to me that in doing so we use our posh voices. Especially, since soccer fans as a group are notoriously boorish, violent, hooligans.  

Probably the most ironically ignorant American thing I’ve ever read. 

• Haha (+1) 1

#17 repping USA while digging out. this pic is interesting on many levels. What is up with that shovel...? Ive never seen anything like it. Dude is shoveling his own snow??  in a team USA shirt? hahahaaworldcup.jpg

Edited by muppy

6 hours ago, BritBill said:

Probably the most ironically ignorant American thing I’ve ever read. 

Its not even debatable.  Soccer is the only sport whose fans have essentially started gangs who engage in mass violence and regularly commit hate crimes.  Its why soccer is regularly played in empty stadiums.  I can't think of another sport where riots started by fans result in mass casualties.  One this year resulted in 125 deaths. Its not even the worst one unfortunately.  And its not confined to one region either.  This behavior is seen in Europe, South America, Latin America, Asia, and Africa/Middle East.  These are facts, Bill.   

Not that I don't want this thread to devolve into an argument about the comparative behavior of soccer and NFL fans, but...

HOLY *****! I woke up this morning to see that Saudi Arabia had beaten Argentina? What the what?!

Excellent, thorough, and poetically written summary of the game for those who, like me, missed it.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/11/22/sports/argentina-saudi-arabia-score-world-cup

This time was supposed to be different. For Lionel Messi, this time was not supposed to end like all of the others, with those slumping shoulders, that distant stare, that hollow grimace.

Qatar was not supposed to be as bad as what happened to arguably the greatest player of all time in the colors of Barcelona on those nights in Rome and Liverpool and Lisbon, let alone in the albiceleste of Argentina in Rio de Janeiro. And, in a way, it wasn’t. It was worse.

Argentina arrived in Qatar with the sole ambition of ensuring that Messi’s final World Cup would be remembered as the one which bathed his legacy in the brilliant, golden glow only this tournament, this ultimate triumph, can confer.

Instead, it must now face the haunting possibility that it will forever be synonymous with one of its darkest humiliations, one of the greatest upsets in the World Cup’s history.

For Argentina, losing to Saudi Arabia was not just a defeat; it was an embarrassment, an ignominy, a stigma scarred into Argentine skin in front of 88,000 people, streamed live on television and beamed around the world. By the end, as the delirious Saudi substitutes swarmed onto the field, Argentina’s players seemed visibly diminished, their faces drawn, their eyes hunted.....

All is not yet lost, of course. Argentina still has two games to avert disaster, to spare its blushes; beat Mexico and Poland in the remaining two group games and, on the surface, losing to Saudi Arabia will have done no lasting damage. That defeat to Cameroon in 1990, after all, did not prevent Diego Maradona leading his team all the way to the World Cup final. This is not the end of Messi’s tournament. It may be nothing more than a false start.

In the moment, as Messi and his teammates gathered in a tight bunch in the middle of the field, as if huddling together for safety and for security and warmth, it did not feel like that. Instead, it seemed as if something had come undone in the white heat of Lusail’s afternoon sun. This time was supposed to be different. All of a sudden, for Messi and for Argentina, it all felt exactly the same.

Argentina losing to Saudi Arabia despite outshooting them 15-3, having a 70-30% possession edge and having 3 goals disallowed in the first 35 minutes due to Offside, one to VAR review was basically like Bills-Dolphins or Bills-Vikings. They lost a game they had no business losing.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

How hard is it to stay onside. Argentina forwards were incredibly lazy all day just walking back. How about a light jog to get back onside. Would that have been too much? And I get that you want an edge, but after the first couple times, they should've held back and just trusted their skill vs an inferior opponent. So many missed opportunities.

What's up with these refs waiting so long to put the offside flag up, anyway?

Edited by LeGOATski

3 hours ago, muppy said:

What is up with that shovel...? Ive never seen anything like it. 

It's supposed to save your back while shoveling, that you don't have to lean over so much.  But they forget, you now have to lift the shovel that much higher to throw it over the bank. 

Just now, Just Jack said:

It's supposed to save your back while shoveling, that you don't have to lean over so much.  But they forget, you now have to lift the shovel that much higher to throw it over the bank. 

I figured ergonomics was the reason but it looks awkward to me. What do I know smh I havent even seen snow in decades. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.