Week 11: Browns at Bills

YoloinOhio

48 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The Bills should be able to run as well with Singletary and Allen. The Browns still have to worry about the Bills passing attack. The Bills not so much with Brissett. I think it will be a close game as the Browns will run the ball well. In the end I can't see the Bills losing three in a row and back-to-back at home games. 

I can definelty see the Bills losing this game. Not sure why you can't see that? The Browns have a very very dangerous run game. Did you see Cook romp for an 81 yard TD last game? Chubb can break long long runs at every touch of the ball. The Bills have had serious issues stopping the run. Packers, Jets, and Vikes. Now they get Chubb and Hunt. Also, don't discount Brisett. Sure he's not great but he most likely won't have to be. Just asked to do enough to win the game and make a few big passes or runs which he's capable of doing. Think Zac Wilson. The Bills team is the X factor. Who knows what their game plan will be? The coaching has been very poor recently. Will they commit to the run the whole game? What kind of Allen shows up? Will it be Allen who leads the NFL in INTs? He ONLY has 6 INTs in the last 3 games. Will Gabe be the good Gabe or the bad Gabe. Same goes for McKenzie. Can The Oline open up holes for Singletary? How do the Bills stop Chubb and Hunt? The weather will be a factor. Snow and windy conditions clearly favor the Browns. 

How can Bills fans be confident going into this game? No doubt the Bills are the better team. We have seen the last two games and the better team doesn't always win. This team is playing poorly, injury riddled, and led by poor coaching. Until I see signs of progress, I will remain skeptical of this team. The "I can't see the Bills losing" is just out of touch with reality.

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I can definelty see the Bills losing this game. Not sure why you can't see that? The Browns have a very very dangerous run game. Did you see Cook romp for an 81 yard TD last game? Chubb can break long long runs at every touch of the ball. The Bills have had serious issues stopping the run. Packers, Jets, and Vikes. Now they get Chubb and Hunt. Also, don't discount Brisett. Sure he's not great but he most likely won't have to be. Just asked to do enough to win the game and make a few big passes or runs which he's capable of doing. Think Zac Wilson. The Bills team is the X factor. Who knows what their game plan will be? The coaching has been very poor recently. Will they commit to the run the whole game? What kind of Allen shows up? Will it be Allen who leads the NFL in INTs? He ONLY has 6 INTs in the last 3 games. Will Gabe be the good Gabe or the bad Gabe. Same goes for McKenzie. Can The Oline open up holes for Singletary? How do the Bills stop Chubb and Hunt? The weather will be a factor. Snow and windy conditions clearly favor the Browns. 

How can Bills fans be confident going into this game? No doubt the Bills are the better team. We have seen the last two games and the better team doesn't always win. This team is playing poorly, injury riddled, and led by poor coaching. Until I see signs of progress, I will remain skeptical of this team. The "I can't see the Bills losing" is just out of touch with reality.

Exactly. Time and time again this team has a signature "watch this, hold my beer" moment to lose games. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

If this team is as good as we think they can be then they will find a way to win. They have struggled for most of the last 10 quarters and yet still won by 10, lost by 3 the other two times. The Browns aren't a good football team despite having some nice talent. I was never one to believe the Bills were winning 15 or more games this year like some posters thought. The reality is there are always going to be ups and downs in a season. I think the Bills will find a way to pull a win. It won't be easy as you mentioned as the Browns can run the ball well. I would still be shocked if the Bills lose this Sunday. They know this is as close to a must as win as you can get without it being a real must win game. 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Greg S said:

If this team is as good as we think they can be then they will find a way to win. They have struggled for most of the last 10 quarters and yet still won by 10, lost by 3 the other two times. The Browns aren't a good football team despite having some nice talent. I was never one to believe the Bills were winning 15 or more games this year like some posters thought. The reality is there are always going to be ups and downs in a season. I think the Bills will find a way to pull a win. It won't be easy as you mentioned as the Browns can run the ball well. I would still be shocked if the Bills lose this Sunday. They know this is as close to a must as win as you can get without it being a real must win game. 

I get what you are saying. However, I see a bit of a hedge of what you are saying. More specifically, you say you can't see the Bills losing. Yet, you admit it won't be easy and the Bills pull out a win. I would think it's reasonable to say that if the game won't be easy that the Bills can lost the game. I would think if you think the Bills can't lose you wouldn't be saying they will pull it out. Instead, I would expect you to be calling for a blowout. Maybe I'm splitting hairs. 

50 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Has the run killed us at times over the last 3 games? Yes, most definitely. But once you break it down, its more that they have serious issues stopping the run one one drive rather than their run defense being putrid. There is a reason the Bills are still the 6th ranked run defense per DVOA.

vs the Jets, the Bills gave up 174 on the ground. Putrid. However, lets break it down:

Zac Wilson had 5 rushes for 48

Carter had 12 for 76

Robinson had 13 for 48 

A mix of WR had 4 for 26

The Jets rushed 8 times for 73 on that last drive. Meaning prior to that drive the Jets were rushing at a clip of 26 for 101, an average of 3.8. Now obviously that last drive was a dagger, and killed us, but up to that drive they defended the run reasonably well. 

vs the Vikings, the Bills gave up 147 on the ground.

Dalvin - 14 for 119

Cousins - 6 for 12

Mattison - 3 for 11

Ham - 1 for 3

Osborn - 1 for 2

Outside of the 1 drive that consisted of 1 rush for 81 yards, the Bills held them to 66 yards rushing on 24 attempts, an average of 2.75. Like the Jets game, this one drive definitely hurt, and is part of the entire picture, however, outside of that drive, I think any of us would take that run defense. 

The Green Bay game definitely was the worst in regards to our rush defense. However, hearing from Von and others on the defense, it sounded like the Bills were allowing the run to happen and continued to defend the pass, letting the Packers run the clock out on their own. 

Have the Bills been great against the run? Obviously no, they have not. Do they have serious issues? No, I don't think so. They need to clean up some mistakes, but I don't believe its a dire situation. Could the Browns kill us on the ground? Undoubtedly. Chubb is a beast. That being said, given the weather, I believe the Bills will sell out to stop the run and dare Jacoby to beat us. Much like they did against the Titans when they held them to 27 for 80 yards. 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get what you are saying. However, I see a bit of a hedge of what you are saying. More specifically, you say you can't see the Bills losing. Yet, you admit it won't be easy and the Bills pull out a win. I would think it's reasonable to say that if the game won't be easy that the Bills can lost the game. I would think if you think the Bills can't lose you wouldn't be saying they will pull it out. Instead, I would expect you to be calling for a blowout. Maybe I'm splitting hairs. 

While nothing is 100% guaranteed when it comes to these games. I just think the Bills won't lose three in a row. They definitely have to clean some things up as they have been sloppy these past 10 quarters. As I mentioned if they are as good as we all think then they will win this Sunday. Hopefully they can get healthier. That would help against the Browns running game. Buffalo's D was doing fairly well against the run before the injuries hit.

Just now, HopelessNJBuffaloFan said:

Ready to roll out the walking (Not able to run) wounded and pray nobody else gets hurt. Good news is I cannot watch this week!!!! I will make it through a week without destroying another phone! 😁

Won't you be checking your phone for updates anyway?

14 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

Has the run killed us at times over the last 3 games? Yes, most definitely. But once you break it down, its more that they have serious issues stopping the run one one drive rather than their run defense being putrid. There is a reason the Bills are still the 6th ranked run defense per DVOA.

vs the Jets, the Bills gave up 174 on the ground. Putrid. However, lets break it down:

Carter had 12 for 76

Robinson had 13 for 48 

A mix of WR had 4 for 26

The Jets rushed 8 times for 73 on that last drive. Meaning prior to that drive the Jets were rushing at a clip of 26 for 101, an average of 3.8. Now obviously that last drive was a dagger, and killed us, but up to that drive they defended the run reasonably well. 

Dalvin - 14 for 119

Cousins - 6 for 12

Mattison - 3 for 11

Ham - 1 for 3

Osborn - 1 for 2

Outside of the 1 drive that consisted of 1 rush for 81 yards, the Bills held them to 66 yards rushing on 24 attempts, an average of 2.75. Like the Jets game, this one drive definitely hurt, and is part of the entire picture, however, outside of that drive, I think any of us would take that run defense. 

The Green Bay game definitely was the worst in regards to our rush defense. However, hearing from Von and others on the defense, it sounded like the Bills were allowing the run to happen and continued to defend the pass, letting the Packers run the clock out on their own. 

Have the Bills been great against the run? Obviously no, they have not. Do they have serious issues? No, I don't think so. They need to clean up some mistakes, but I don't believe its a dire situation. Could the Browns kill us on the ground? Undoubtedly. Chubb is a beast. That being said, given the weather, I believe the Bills will sell out to stop the run and dare Jacoby to beat us. Much like they did against the Titans when they held them to 27 for 80 yards. 

But that is literally how every team handles the run.  Bad teams rarely give up 4-5 yards every carry, but they consistently give up chunk yardage.  It's like saying "Outside of the 2 late 4th quarter touchdown, the defense only gave up 10 points."  You have to take the whole game into account.  Chubb averages 5.5 yards a carry, but gets plenty of 1-3 yards runs to get there.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, cle23 said:

But that is literally how every team handles the run.  Bad teams rarely give up 4-5 yards every carry, but they consistently give up chunk yardage.  It's like saying "Outside of the 2 late 4th quarter touchdown, the defense only gave up 10 points."  You have to take the whole game into account.  Chubb averages 5.5 yards a carry, but gets plenty of 1-3 yards runs to get there.

Right, and I agree with you, if they continue this trend, then we are in trouble. But if we look at the entire season, the first 6 games, they were solid against the run. In the last 3, they have not been great, but its been one specific drive that really killed them in each of the last two games. Given the injuries over the past few weeks, I tend to think the first 6 games are more reflective of the run defense. I could be totally wrong, and this could be the start of an awful run defense for the rest of the year, but breaking it down, points towards the thought that maybe it hasn't been as bad as we think. 

I will gladly give up one or two drives where Chubb has big plays/rushes if we shut them down on all other drives.

11 minutes ago, cle23 said:

I want to say Man Bills don't usually give up chunk plays. 

But...

Our defense does seem to chronically give up gash runs of the 60-80 yard variety more than they should. Big ones last year in Titans, Bucs, and NE games . 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ytownblofan said:

Carter had 12 for 76

Robinson had 13 for 48 

A mix of WR had 4 for 26

Dalvin - 14 for 119

Cousins - 6 for 12

Mattison - 3 for 11

Ham - 1 for 3

Osborn - 1 for 2

Yeah, it is almost always one of the backup players/rookies that ends up costing us huge in those situations...against the Jets it was Johnson with his terrible run angles(note he was benched for Lewis in the Vikings game), and against the Vikings it was Bernard in space not making the tackle or at least slowing Cook down so others could help.

• Agree 1

Might be snowing, windy and cold for sure.  Stack the box on D.  Their D is not good against the run at all!  Run Motor and Hines/Cook/Johnson and of course Josh. I'd love to see Hines get a lot more snaps now that he's been with us for a couple of weeks.  Short dink and dunk pass plays, protect the football and we'll win.

56 minutes ago, ytownblofan said:

Carter had 12 for 76

Robinson had 13 for 48 

A mix of WR had 4 for 26

Dalvin - 14 for 119

Cousins - 6 for 12

Mattison - 3 for 11

Ham - 1 for 3

Osborn - 1 for 2

I mostly agree with your post. However, a defense can't allow an 81 yard TD run. That's a serious problem. Almost like saying a CB did great breaking up all those 10 passes but he gave up two TD bombs. He he just cleaned up those 2 plays. Your argument is flawed at its premise. Not to mention they were gashed by the Jets and Packers. The Jets ran the ball 8 straight times in the crucial point of the 4th quarter. That drive started at the 6 yard line. I guess maybe it's a matter a semantics. Whatever you cal it the Chubb, Hunt, and Brisett running combo will test the Bills suspect run D. Teams have consistently sold out to stop Chubb without success. It's not like it's a secret what the Browns will do. On A positive side, he Bills were able to stuff Henry. Perhaps then can do the same to the Cleveland's rushing attack. However, the Bills defense seems to be a shell of itself since that game. Injuries, poor coaching, lack of game time adjustments, poor tackling, etc...are all in play. 

On a different note, I'd add in the Bills rush has been inconsistent and teams are able to get 3rd and long conversions at a higher rate that's acceptable. That was very clear in the Minn and Jets games. 

In concluding, the Bills have played remarkably poorly in their last 3 games. Starting with the once favored MVP candidate named Josh Allen. Can The Bills protect that ball and execute in the red zone? 

This is a game the Bills should win. At home and semi desperate for a win. The Browns have nothing to lose and I'm sure are looking forward to a Watson debut. 

4 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I guess they aren't wearing the all-white throwbacks at home this year.  It also seems like the all-blue has replaced the blue over white as the primary home look.

Anyone ever consider that blue over blue is the owner’s favorite combo, and she’s recovering from health issues. So the team is wearing that combo in support of her.   ?? Just a speculation.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.