Allen's final throw, bad decision or bad pass?

TwistofFate

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

But we all can agree, there’s nothing easy about that throw to any of those WRs in the end zone. 

There is nothing obviously wide open short of the end zone.

Singletary is the only dump off option and like we’ve said, he’s late. 

McKenzie to Josh’s left is completely blanketed.

Thats where I still say, play design or the actual route run was poor, because there just wasn’t any space to get a ball in there easily.

Throwing to the other side of the linebacker as Quintin Morris clears is possible, but not easy. 

Gabe, the ball would have to be much higher and centered. 

And I don’t what Diggs was doing on the left hand side enough to see if he was open.

Josh forced a bad design. 

Feel like that is a throw had it been high to the back of the endzone, would be easy one for Josh Allen. 

I'd have like to see Davis' route angled off the corner of the endzone on that play, it was very congested in the middle toward the goal line

I should be designing plays its so easy! LOL

While we're at it, anybody have footage of Wide Right, 13 Seconds or my unsung favorite, Leodis McKelvin being stripped by the Patriots on Monday night football when we had the Pats beat, in Foxboro nonetheless?

Painful to watch!  LOL

Edited by B-Large

He ain’t clutch but it wasnmt him who dropped a TD pass in the endzone on first down. 😂 How about hitting Davis on 4th down from 70 yards away? Sometimes your just only as good as your supporting cast. Allen and Diggs are the only guys with any consistency on this offense. 

As far as the Int seems to be a lot of speculation of what went wrong there. 

Edited by BananaB

2 minutes ago, B-Large said:

Feel like that is a throw had it been high to the back of the endzone, would be easy one for Josh Allen. 

I'd have like to see Davis' route angled off the corner of the endzone on that play, it was very congested in the middle toward the goal line

I should be designing plays its so easy! LOL

While we're at it, anybody have footage of Wide Right, 13 Seconds or my unsung favorite, Leodis McKelvin being stripped by the Patriots on Monday night football when we had the Pats beat, in Foxboro nonetheless?

Painful to watch!  LOL

I just don’t like the spacing there. 

It was a bad ball, came out late, was behind Gabe and low.

But that’s a high degree of difficulty we’re asking for there, nothing easy about that throw. 

Not one throw there was easy yards except waiting for Singletary to dump off, and he gets tackled after a 5-yard gain 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

But that’s a high degree of difficulty we’re asking for there, nothing easy about that throw. 

Not one throw there was easy yards except waiting for Singletary to dump off, and he gets tackled after a 5-yard gain 

The middle of the field was jammed, it almost looks like Allen could have taken off the left and had a decent chance to score.. there was a lot of green.

But yeah, no separation anywhere.  Play just felt ugly.

It's both a bad throw and a bad decision. Josh is trowing directly into the strength of what appears to be Cover 4. Could he make it? Sure, but this is a game about percentages and this defense is designed specifically to make this a low percentage throw. Against lesser QBs it would be practically impossible, but because Josh is Josh he says ***** you and throws it anyway. This time even he's not good enough to beat the stacked odds against him.

Cover 4 opens up the underneath routes which he had in a wide open Singletary.

This is not new behavior from Josh. He's done it his whole career and I posted a video from Brett Kollman about how the Dolphins figured him our last year, but just didn't have the talent to beat him. Now they do and apparently a lot of the league has the same playbook. If Josh doesn't adapt, this will keep happening. He can't fix it with better throws. He has to put his ego aside and take what the defense gives. It's then up to Dorsey to figure out ways to get Josh what he wants by countering the defense.

5 hours ago, BananaB said:

Rarely see this miscommunication with Diggs. Last week on the Sauce INT Allen threw inside and Gabe went out. Bad throw plus miscommunication on someones part. We don’t know, just like we don’t know about Sunday. 

It was a bad throw.  I'm trying to communicate to you.  There seems to be some miscommunication.

Gabe was running the route.  He caught 6 passes for 94 yards and a TD on 9 targets (one target thrown to Defender--see above.).

17 minutes ago, B-Large said:

LOL, the more I watch, the more I see a massive gap for him to run and pickup some yardage against 1 LB , or an easy gainer to an well rested, underutilized Motor.

but you're right, thrown up high and away, either Gabe makes a grab or we play the next down.  

Easiest INT that Vike will make this year,  Oh well, moving on I guess....

Lol the Peterson quote about how they defended it well cuz they know josh or whatever he said made me chuckle.  I don’t think the Vikings could’ve defended that play much worse.  They gave the first read a step in single coverage for a 50/50 ball for a td that should’ve been incomplete at worst.  They left Morris open underneath,  nobody picked up singletary on his delayed route after the block, they left big running lanes open too 

josh just had a straight up split second brain fart 

7 hours ago, Pete said:

horrible throw and a worse decision.  He should of dumped it to wide open Singletary who had a great shot of scoring

At the time Josh Allen started that throw, Singletary wasnt even past the LoS yet because he helped on a block.

FhkOKoKXkAAtbce?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

In one of the screen shots I've seen Diggs to the L, well short of the goal line - what was his coverage?

In any event, situational awareness: it's 2nd and 10 from the 20 yd line with 1:19 left.  A dump off to an RB who gets tackled after a 5 yd gain makes it 3rd and 5 from the 15 yd line. 

A throw with a top DB in close coverage and able to break between the receiver and the QB, I think is pretty risky even if the ball is thrown a bit earlier and ahead of Gabe.  Whether Gabe could have run his route differently in a way that would have boxed the DB out, I can't tell.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If no one is open, you don't throw it or throw it away.

It sounds like you're saying all play designs should have open WR.  

Right. People seem to think the coaches know what the defense will look like and then should call rhe right play.  That's silly.  

This play was designed properly.  If the defense was straight man, or of they were blitzing, there would be opportunities downfield.  If the defense dropped, the opportunities were short.  Allen didn't execute. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

And a first and goal right? 

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It was a horrible decision.  They took the TD shot on first down. Second down should have been to get the first down.

After the decision to go to Davis it was a horrible throw. It was behind and short. The only way yo complete that pass is high arcing pass that Davis catches at the back boundary.  Its a throw Allen can make and has in the past.

Now if Davis ran the wrong route or incorrectly adjusted his route and he was supposed to check up at the 3 yard line in front of the defender, then maybe the throw was where it was supposed to go. In that case it is still a horrible decision to go to Davis as there were better options.

I think the bolded is true.

It would have to be a much higher pass under the goal post and Gabe would have to leap up and catch it.

Much like the Stetson Bennett pass during the UGA Miss St game.

Here's Patrick Peterson breaking it down:

We have a big problem if opposing defenses know exactly what route we're going to run and where Allen will throw the ball based on the coverage.

He basically says that Davis only runs a couple routes and pretty much always runs inside post in the red zone. That makes it way too easy for a veteran DB to make a play on the ball. Dorsey needs to add some red zone wrinkles, fast. We've been figured out.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We have a big problem if opposing defenses know exactly what route we're going to run and where Allen will throw the ball based on the coverage.

He basically says that Davis only runs a couple routes and pretty much always runs inside post in the red zone. That makes it way too easy for a veteran DB to make a play on the ball. Dorsey needs to add some red zone wrinkles, fast. We've been figured out.

Yup.  Dorsey aint it.  Whats strange though is I keep hearing about how our offense is complicated and tough to pick up.  I heard this again as to why Hines hasnt been more involved yet.

Edit: This is not to say that Dorsey cant be it but so far he isnt.  We also need another playmaker. I hope that we get OBJ. I know some people dont want him but he is a talent.  The Bills need more talent on O than just Josh and Diggs.

Edited by Scott7975

10 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Found this on Twitter today, it's the final throw of the game from Allen's perspective.  

The decision looked good, the pass looked late and off target. 

Thanks for posting that but you left out 1 other option that's possible.

Miscommunication.

Watch that clip frame by frame.  If Davis cuts across the field rather than diagonally into the end zone Peterson doesn't get the chance to get in front of him.  To me the 2 choices should be bad throw or miscommunication or bad throw.  And I certainly wonder myself.

Regardless... Allen and Davis haven't been on the same page this year.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Freak-O said:

Interesting angle. It’s not a bad decision after all but a poor throw. I can cut him some slack due to the elbow thing. Maybe he shouldn’t have attempted it with the sore elbow but on the other hand there’s hardly much time to ponder in such a situation. He saw a receiver and instinctively made a throw that usually hits home. 

Like the Jets pick, go up top and not chest high and it would have worked. Bad decision on where to put the ball. 

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

do you think this is a Bills thing? what do you think film study is all about?

this is literally what football is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.