Allen's final throw, bad decision or bad pass?

TwistofFate

I don't know the route expectation but if Davis keep running hard and Josh throws it higher and leads the runner it seems like a good chance of a TD to me — and unlikely that it's picked. And Davis seemed to slow down after the ball came out and was looking short and low. 

We've seen good Josh make throws like this routinely. 

The way I saw it, Morris was probably supposed to run to about the 10 yard line. When he carried his route to the post, Davis had to stop his route. This allowed Peterson to jump the route.

Morris should have kept the LB low so he would not have been in the passing lane to Davis, allowing him to keep running the post route.

I was at the game, and from where I sat, the middle of the field was wide open. Nobody draws up passing combinations like that.

Edited by fasteddie
  • Agree 1

It was a bad pass no doubt.    More than that, given that it was not fourth down, it has to go down as another very bad decision.  

We all hate to say bad things about Josh because he is the franchise, lots of people look to blame other players with "what ifs" - but the reality is he is not yet a clutch performer.    Maybe he will be someday?  Right now, he still tends to make erratic and desperate plays when he does not have to.  Our team record is close games bears this out.  

Edited by Bob in STL

It was both a bad decision and a bad throw. Given the situation, there was no need to try and force that throw. 

Check it down to Motor, pick up an easy 7 yards at minimum and move on to the next play. Allen tried playing hero ball and it cost the team. He needs to be better. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This. To the extent there was a "makeable" throw to Davis it was a tough, low percentage play. He obviously threw it badly, who knows how much that was the injury or just a plain miss, but in the first place having gone for the endzone on 1st down (a makeable play for Knox) I think the decision to try and force a low percentage play to Davis on 2nd down when Morris for at least another first down was open was the wrong decision. And I agree totally with you and @Reed83HOF about why he went there. Finally, to cut Josh some slack I wasn't mad on the play design where everyone is running towards the endzone. If they run someone to the middle of the field just past the 1st down marker they would have been wide open based on the coverage the Vikes were showing. 

Josh is frustrated with himself and forcing stuff. He needs to clear his head and get back to what he was doing early in the year, taking the underneath stuff and softening the defense up before hitting them down the field. And Ken Dorsey needs to help him with a better plan, more creativity and misdirection and better playcalling. 

I think a big part of it is the team has just no confidence in their ability to punch it in in a goal to go situation.  Singletary got stuffed on every carry in the second half.  I don’t blame him for targeting the single coverage when Davis had a step but that ball was def off target

that’s a pretty routine play against man and it’s likely a td with a better throw 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

11 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

It was a bad pass no doubt.    More than that, given that it was not fourth down, it has to go down as another very bad decision.  

I don't know if he saw McKenzie get pushed out of bounds but even if not, it was a lack of awareness on Allen's part to even make that throw when you have more time and more plays.   Throw it away and live to fight on.   

We all hate to say bad things about Josh because he is the franchise, lots of people look to blame other players with "what ifs" - but the reality is he not yet a clutch performer.    Maybe he will be someday?  Right now, he still tends to make erratic and desperate plays when he does not have to.  Our team record is close games bears this out.  

I’m all for criticizing him when he deserves it and the throw itself was absolutely awful no matter what one believes about the read/decision…but not a clutch performer is a huge stretch.  

he was on his way to the statistically best playoff run for a qb in history when the defense choked against kc last year with two of the most clutch late drives I’ve ever seen back to back…he had comeback wins over kc and baltimore this year,  he and gabe bailed us out big time in the bills colts playoff game two years ago, tons of examples of him being clutch in big moments 

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m all for criticizing him when he deserves it and the throw itself was absolutely awful no matter what one believes about the read/decision…but not a clutch performer is a huge stretch.  

he was on his way to the statistically best playoff run for a qb in history when the defense choked against kc last year with two of the most clutch late drives I’ve ever seen back to back…he had comeback wins over kc and baltimore this year,  he and gabe bailed us out big time in the bills colts playoff game two years ago, tons of examples of him being clutch in big moments 

He is a great player.  Best player on the team, one of the best in the league - OK.  He is clutch in some moments and not so clutch in other moments.  Like the past two Sundays.  

16 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

He is a great player.  Best player on the team, one of the best in the league - OK.  He is clutch in some moments and not so clutch in other moments.  Like the past two Sundays.  

No disagreement there…he blew this one on the fumble alone without anything else needed as evidence and there’s plenty of stuff you can pile on top of that. 

but even someone like mahomes falls on his face sometimes in a big moment like the afc championship last year. 

If he starts coming up small in big moments in the playoffs then I might start to agree with your original point a bit more 

it’s pretty criminal how many clutch drives he’s had spoiled by poopy defensive play if we’re talking about his career overall.  Arizona and KC last year immediately come to mind 

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

The throw is already behind Davis. If he flattens the route the throw is just even further behind him.

Davis is already heading toward the back of the end zone before that pass is released.  That pass needed to be aimed at the right upright.

that vid isn't full speed I don't think, maybe it looks different if it is.

Looks like a bad pass to me.  Maybe, maybe if Gabe flattens that route and blocks out the defender.  Maybe.

Seems like a stinker.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, B-Large said:

Davis is already heading toward the back of the end zone before that pass is released.  That pass needed to be aimed at the right upright.

that vid isn't full speed I don't think, maybe it looks different if it is.

Looks like a bad pass to me.  Maybe, maybe if Gabe flattens that route and blocks out the defender.  Maybe.

Seems like a stinker.

That’s what I think too…it’s hardly a risky play imo.  99% of the time that’s a td or incompletion out the back of the end zone.  If you’re gonna throw a ball that off target everything is a risky play though 🤣

I think he didn’t see Harrison smith biting as hard as he thought he would  on the other post route after he pumped and got spooked and overthought it.  Unfortunately Harrison smith did bite hard on the other post lol you can see the absolute panic in smith as he does a desperation dive late to get to the other post route haha he probably thought gabe was wide open behind him with the game winning td 

both sides are probably correct here…the presnap read was good and if he trusted it mid play he would’ve been fine but it looks like he panicked a little bit just before releasing the ball and at that point just check it down to somebody 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's not been on the same page with Gabe alot this year. I personally thought Gabe was never open to begin with and Josh should've thrown it away. 

I know he hasn't, but I still think a healthy Josh makes that throw. But maybe I'm wrong. 

I also think running it was his best option, but we've seen him thread that needle many times before. 

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That’s what I think too…it’s hardly a risky play imo.  99% of the time that’s a td or incompletion out the back of the end zone.  If you’re gonna throw a ball that off target everything is a risky play though 🤣

I think he didn’t see Harrison smith biting that hard on the other post route after he pumped and got spooked and overthought it.  Unfortunately Harrison smith did bite hard on the other post lol you can see the absolute panic in smith as he does a desperation dive late to get to the other post route haha he probably thought gabe was wide open behind him with the game winning td 

LOL, the more I watch, the more I see a massive gap for him to run and pickup some yardage against 1 LB , or an easy gainer to an well rested, underutilized Motor.

but you're right, thrown up high and away, either Gabe makes a grab or we play the next down.  

Easiest INT that Vike will make this year,  Oh well, moving on I guess....

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

No disagreement there…he blew this one on the fumble alone without anything else needed as evidence and there’s plenty of stuff you can pile on top of that. 

but even someone like mahomes falls on his face sometimes in a big moment like the afc championship last year. 

True, but Mahomes has been to the SB and has a ring.  

No players make every play every time.   We have a hard time seeing errors with Allen because he is so damn good most of the time and such a stand up guy that puts it on his shoulders.  Without him we are a .500 team.  

6 minutes ago, EastTNBillsfan said:

I know he hasn't, but I still think a healthy Josh makes that throw. But maybe I'm wrong. 

I also think running it was his best option, but we've seen him thread that needle many times before. 

I think it's the decision that's a stumper.  Gabe isn't open, and that wasn't a pass thrown to a precise spot.  I love Josh, but he messed up on that one.

But we all can agree, there’s nothing easy about that throw to any of those WRs in the end zone. 

There is nothing obviously wide open short of the end zone.

Singletary is the only dump off option and like we’ve said, he’s late. 

McKenzie to Josh’s left is completely blanketed.

Thats where I still say, play design or the actual route run was poor, because there just wasn’t any space to get a ball in there easily.

Throwing to the other side of the linebacker as Quintin Morris clears is possible, but not easy. 

Gabe, the ball would have to be much higher and centered. 

And I don’t what Diggs was doing on the left hand side enough to see if he was open.

Josh forced a bad design. 

17 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

You can't say he wasn't clutch against KC last year. He's not the one that screwed up the 12 seconds.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.