Allen's final throw, bad decision or bad pass?

TwistofFate

He missed that window to get the ball in there.  It was thrown behind the cut and had zero chance of Gabe making any type of play on that ball with the defender between himself and Josh.  

Bad pass & bad decision, he should have checked down to the RB.  RB had a better chance to take that to the house, than completing that throw in the endzone.

Isn't it a similar pattern to the TD throw at end of the KC playoff game last year? Where Allen throws a bullet? But in this case Allen throws a really terrible pass. Was his elbow tweaked on the idiotic attempt to tackle on the INT throw in the 4th quarter? He had thrown some nice passes after that INT but it made me wonder.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because Davis was open and Josh threw it to him.  

It was a bad throw.  Probably a bad decisions as there were better targets.

Rarely see this miscommunication with Diggs. Last week on the Sauce INT Allen threw inside and Gabe went out. Bad throw plus miscommunication on someones part. We don’t know, just like we don’t know about Sunday. 

1 minute ago, Toyo321 said:

He missed that window to get the ball in there.  It was thrown behind the cut and had zero chance of Gabe making any type of play on that ball with the defender between himself and Josh.  

Bad pass & bad decision, he should have checked down to the RB.  RB had a better chance to take that to the house, than completing that throw in the endzone.

Josh's superhuman physical ability is both a blessing and a curse.  A lesser QB aware of his physical limitations would have never attempted that throw to Davis.  But a lesser QB would never have made lot of plays Josh made during the game.  Its all decision making, just knowing when pushing the limits is both necessary and possible.  I have faith he's smart enough and aware of the problem to figure it all out and make the necessary mental adjustments going forward.  

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yet he threw a ton of great passes all game and had his highest completion percentage in weeks. His arm is fine. It was just a really bad throw and a bad decision. It happens. Honestly, he should have run it — he had a clear lane and would have gotten the first down.

Keep in mind that he also tweaked it again making the tackle from the previous int he threw.  I think it's affecting his throws.  But we can agree to disagree, only Allen knows.

Josh’s reaction dictates he knows where he should have gone with the ball. True if Davis cuts it early in front of the db we are probably having a different conversation. He needs to take the checkdown here as Morris and Singletary are both wide open. Josh got greedy he just needs to take the 5 yard route instead of going for it all and he’ll be fine as that is just a throw he has to either make incomplete or to the back of the endzone not the front. 

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Do you have the play call and know exactly what route he was supposed to run? What is if the route was supposed to go up instead of in?

Exactly, we don’t know.  But a lot of people jumping to the conclusion it was a bad throw. We’ve seen Gabe and Allen being off a few times this year.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Davis has to run the pattern that was called.

They have options at the top of the route. Maybe they weren't on the same page and he expected Davis to do something that he didn't.

It's hard to say without knowing, but they could have decided to handle the coverage 2 different ways which makes the throw look bad. Who was wrong? No clue, I don't know what keys they are reading.

• Like (+1) 2

I still didn't like the play call. You have 1st and 10 at the Vikings 20. More than 2 minutes left in OT with 2 timeouts. No need to force anything. They could run any play in their offense. Run the ball with Singletary or Allen. Throw a screen, or a short pass. Take what the defense is giving you. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Bad decision. Singletary is wide open in the flat and although he has a couple of defenders about ten yards in front of him it’s still an easy pick up to keep matriculating down the field. Josh locked on way too early. Not good. 

That picture is kind of misleading. Singletary isn't leaked out of the line until after Josh is midway through his windup. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

I still didn't like the play call. You have 1st and 10 at the Vikings 20. More than 2 minutes left in OT with 2 timeouts. No need to force anything. They could run any play in their offense. Run the ball with Singletary or Allen. Throw a screen, or a short pass. Take what the defense is giving you. 

Got look to the guy calling plays for those answers. I agree with ya totally 

Just now, Roundybout said:

That picture is kind of misleading. Singletary isn't leaked out of the line until after Josh is midway through his windup. 

I’m not looking at the picture. I’ve watched the replay dozens of times. The running back always leaks out late, and the quarterback knows he’s going to be there. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

I say both, he had Morris inside the 10, and a better throw gives Davis a chance--or, it has been suggested that he was expecting Davis to cut in, but Peterson was there, I don't see that getting completed.

Ugh!

Morris was running a poor route himself. I think the receivers are getting sloppy. Morris worked too far and left himself too close to the safeties.

Could Davis run a more pedestrian post route as well? Any kind of juke might delay the undercut by Peterson by just enough. Poor throw by Josh nevertheless.

We're seeing a team that lacks real fundamental football IQ IMO. Maybe it's because a lot of them are depth and haven't needed to be relied on in the big moments as often, but a lot of shortcuts, half-assing, and mentally poor play. The film study should be a field day for the WR room. McKenzie should be dogged for a half an hour for his role in the 4th & 2 interception.

5 minutes ago, Greg S said:

How have they been faring inside the 10 at scoring passing touchdowns this season?

It was a horrible decision.  They took the TD shot on first down. Second down should have been to get the first down.

After the decision to go to Davis it was a horrible throw. It was behind and short. The only way yo complete that pass is high arcing pass that Davis catches at the back boundary.  Its a throw Allen can make and has in the past.

Now if Davis ran the wrong route or incorrectly adjusted his route and he was supposed to check up at the 3 yard line in front of the defender, then maybe the throw was where it was supposed to go. In that case it is still a horrible decision to go to Davis as there were better options.

4 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Found this on Twitter today, it's the final throw of the game from Allen's perspective.  

The decision looked good, the pass looked late and off target. 

I don't see how I can agree with that just being off target or a safe throw if Josh leads Davis.

The problem is that Peterson is between Allen and Davis, making it possible for him to react to the ball and jump it, similar to an INT Josh threw to Davis early in the Pitt game.  Josh threw the ball on a line to Davis when Wallace was between him and Davis, in position to jump the throw.  If Josh leads Davis, Peterson can still dive and deflect the ball or possibly turn on the jets and get it.

In both cases, it looks to me as though Davis would be open and it would be a safe throw if thrown more on an arc, OR Davis needs to come back for the ball and maneuver to box out his coverage.

If Josh waits a moment it looks as though he has choices.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.