One Year Ago Today: More things change......

Mikie2times

On November 14, 2021 the Bills beat the Jets to go to 6-3 on the year

The week prior Josh played one of his worst games of the season, throwing 2 INT's in a 3 point loss to the Jaguars.

Hard to get a read on these Bills. One week they look like world beaters then the next week they seem to fall apart. Consistency is fleeting and they tend to struggle in close games having gone 0-3 in games decided by 7 points or less. What ever happened to Gabe Davis? Are we going to ever consider what an actual running game can do for us? When Singletary runs, he seems to do well. Daboll sucks, what an overrated POS. Well, at least we beat KC, that gives me some hope. Edmunds also sucks, I have to say that.  

On Novembers 13th, 2022 the Bills lost to the Vikings to go 6-3 on the year

The week prior Josh played one of his worst games of the season, throwing 2 INT's in a 3 point loss to the Jets. 

Hard to get a read on these Bills. One week they look like world beaters then the next week they seem to fall apart. Consistency is fleeting and they tend to struggle in close games having gone 2-3 in games decided by 7 points or less. What ever happened to Gabe Davis? Are we going to ever consider what an actual running game can do for us? When Singletary runs, he seems to do well. McDermott sucks, what an overrated POS. Well, at least we beat KC, that gives me some hope. Edmunds also sucks, I have to say that.  

Our expectations were built around a healthy Bills team and linear growth in Allen. As of this moment, neither seem to have played out as expected. This year we have Von Miller, who really is looking like the steal of free agency. At this time last year, we had Hyde, Poyer, White, and Levi Wallace as our starting secondary (Tauron Johnson as well if we call it perma Nickle). All 4 of members of our starting secondary are gone including our two captains/ Top 100 NFL Safeties, one of which will return. I want to argue that we are better positioned to defend the run this year but we have been gashed three straight weeks. Question mark offensive players like Gabe, Knox, and McKenzie, collectively, have not stepped up. Perhaps it's by design as Steph is all over the field, but I would rather spread the ball. We are struggling to establish a traditional ground game and when we do we don't stick with it. It seems like our defense is always in bend but not break mode, maybe even more so at the most critical moments.

So should we be better? Because it really seems like we have already watched this movie play out before and at this moment, arguably it's with less talent.

It's a long season and a lot can still change. I feel comfortable saying this team has the ability to become much better than last years team. Our pass rush being one of the biggest reasons why. Health is going to probably play the biggest role in all of this which really stinks given how healthy we seem to have been over the years. Outside of all this, I'm leaving my expectations at the door. I never liked getting crowned early. We have a lot of work to do. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

11 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Edmunds also sucks, I have to say that.  

Our expectations were built around a healthy Bills team and linear growth in Allen. As of this moment, neither seem to have played out as expected. This year we have Von Miller, who really is looking like the steal of free agency. At this time last year, we had Hyde, Poyer, White, and Levi Wallace as our starting secondary (Tauron Johnson as well if we call it perma Nickle). All 4 of members of our starting secondary are gone including our two captains/ Top 100 NFL Safeties, one of which will return. I want to argue that we are better positioned to defend the run this year but we have been gashed three straight weeks. Question mark offensive players like Gabe, Knox, and McKenzie, collectively, have not stepped up. Perhaps it's by design as Steph is all over the field, but I would rather spread the ball. We are struggling to establish a traditional ground game and when we do we don't stick with it. It seems like our defense is always in bend but not break mode, maybe even more so at the most critical moments.

Interesting this has been up 11 hours with NO responses......

So Edmunds sucks huh?  Did you happen to notice that while he was playing, the first half that the Bills only gave up miniscule rushing yards?  After he left the Minny running game took off!  Coincidence?  I think not.  Last week no Milano, Jets running game was running wild.  The Bills new D is predicated on Milano and Edmunds stopping the run and making the passing game harder for the opponents.

I am glad someone brought up the missing duo of Hyde/Poyer.  This IMHO is the biggest reason the Bills D is getting gashed.  The Bills have some long heavy thoughts as to how to fix this going forward.  Tre seems like he will never play with McD saying it might be physical it might be mental right now.  What the heck does that even mean?

No Edmunds does NOT suck.....thankfully people who know and understand football a little bit better than all of us on TBD are going to be making decisions moving forward regarding Edmunds.

Yes the D is currently decimated.

No : Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Groot

And seemingly your whipping boy Edmunds.

Long season, lotta football left.  Bills need to remove head from arse, and yes I am looking at you Dorsey, Josh, Kromer, and McD.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

They've arrived at a 6-3 record in very different ways.  Last year in games 7-9 they were 2-1, with pretty solid wins over Miami and the Jets.  Their loss in game 9 to Jacksonville was bad and signaled the start of their mid-season drop in play.  From game 10 to 13 they were 1-3 and didn't rebound until the final 4 games of the season.  

By comparison this year the drop began in game 8 losing to the Jets and has continued last week.

If anything, it demonstrates they begin falling apart around mid-season for about 6 games before adjusting and getting back on track.

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

They've arrived at a 6-3 record in very different ways.  Last year in games 7-9 they were 2-1, with pretty solid wins over Miami and the Jets.  Their loss in game 9 to Jacksonville was bad and signaled the start of their mid-season drop in play.  From game 10 to 13 they were 1-3 and didn't rebound until the final 4 games of the season.  

By comparison this year the drop began in game 8 losing to the Jets and has continued last week.

If anything, it demonstrates they begin falling apart around mid-season for about 6 games before adjusting and getting back on track.

I think the current downswing started in the second half of the Packer game.  The inverse of last year when our year end upswing started in the second half of the tampa Bay game.

The teams goes as Allen goes, fair or not. He’s the guy. We wouldn’t be half the team we are without him. With him we’re going to live by the gun, die by the gun. 

I think he needs to remember that he has teammates that can make things easier on him, and he doesn’t have to do it all by himself. I think he will, and I think we’ll be fine. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Interesting this has been up 11 hours with NO responses......

So Edmunds sucks huh?  Did you happen to notice that while he was playing, the first half that the Bills only gave up miniscule rushing yards?  After he left the Minny running game took off!  Coincidence?  I think not.  Last week no Milano, Jets running game was running wild.  The Bills new D is predicated on Milano and Edmunds stopping the run and making the passing game harder for the opponents.

I am glad someone brought up the missing duo of Hyde/Poyer.  This IMHO is the biggest reason the Bills D is getting gashed.  The Bills have some long heavy thoughts as to how to fix this going forward.  Tre seems like he will never play with McD saying it might be physical it might be mental right now.  What the heck does that even mean?

No Edmunds does NOT suck.....thankfully people who know and understand football a little bit better than all of us on TBD are going to be making decisions moving forward regarding Edmunds.

Yes the D is currently decimated.

No : Poyer

Hyde

Tre

Groot

And seemingly your whipping boy Edmunds.

Long season, lotta football left.  Bills need to remove head from arse, and yes I am looking at you Dorsey, Josh, Kromer, and McD.

Go Bills

The Edmunds comment was a joke. I just tossed it in because it's funny to me that he always gets tossed into the "this is why we suck". The rest of it was not a joke. I have never posted anything positive or negative about Edmunds on these boards. Sure I want the splash plays like we all do, but I always thought his role on this team and how fans perceive him is just too misunderstood by the average fan for us to fairly evaluate. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It is not a 6 game slide.  It's a 3-4 game slide and they get back on track.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It is not a 6 game slide.  It's a 3-4 game slide and they get back on track.

They were 2-4 in the middle of last season from (EDIT: games) 8 thru 13.  

Teams with a goal of being the #1 seed do not have mid-season drops like this.  Now quibble about that goal.  :lol:

Edited by BillsVet

12 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Teams with a goal of being the #1 seed do not have mid-season drops like this.  Now quibble about that goal.  :lol:

People are also forgetting that our second half schedule won’t be soft like last year.  All four remaining division games promise to be highly competitive, plus Chicago and Cincinnati…not like last year.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

The Jets and Vikings are 14-4 combined. The Jags were the literal worst team in the league at the end of the season. Losing these last two weeks is not the same as losing to the Jags.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

First...weeks 8-13 they went 3-4.

The #1 seed KC Chiefs were 3-4 at one point last season.

The 2021 Super Bowl Champs lost 3 in a row midseason last year.

The 2020 Super Bowl Champs, Tampa Bay lost 3 out of 4 in the midpoint of the season that year.

3-4 isn't a 7 game slide.    

26 minutes ago, mannc said:

People are also forgetting that our second half schedule won’t be soft like last year.  All four remaining division games promise to be highly competitive, plus Chicago and Cincinnati…not like last year.

You can't just forget what they did earlier in the season because we are slumping now.  

They have beaten all AFC division leaders as well.  

Jets game definitely felt like the Jags game from last year. Bills have too much talent to get their doors blown off again like that Colts game (although perhaps the Vikings loss was even worse). Another mid-year swoon is sending them down the power (pain) rankings:

1. Chiefs
2. Eagles
3. Vikings
4. Dolphins
5. Ravens
6. Titans
7. Cowboys
8. Giants
9. Jets
10. Bills
11. 49ers
12. Bengals
13. Commanders
14. Chargers
15. Seahawks
16. Bucs
17. Patriots
18. Packers
19. Colts
20. Cardinals
21. Steelers
22. Rams
23. Lions
24. Bears
25. Falcons
26. Panthers
27. Broncos
28. Browns
29. Jaguars
30. Saints
31. Raiders
32. Texans

11 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

You can't play 7 games in 6 weeks.  

That said, I see the quibblers are out in full force.  Keep trying. 

Yeah I miss counted because I didn't factor in the bye week.

So was I wrong about the Chiefs, Bucs and Rams struggling as well or does this sort of thing only apply to the Bills?

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Jets game definitely felt like the Jags game from last year. Bills have too much talent to get their doors blown off again like that Colts game (although perhaps the Vikings loss was even worse). Another mid-year swoon is sending them down the power (pain) rankings:

1. Chiefs
2. Eagles
3. Vikings
4. Dolphins
5. Ravens
6. Titans
7. Cowboys
8. Giants
9. Jets
10. Bills
11. 49ers
12. Bengals
13. Commanders
14. Chargers
15. Seahawks
16. Bucs
17. Patriots
18. Packers
19. Colts
20. Cardinals
21. Steelers
22. Rams
23. Lions
24. Bears
25. Falcons
26. Panthers
27. Broncos
28. Browns
29. Jaguars
30. Saints
31. Raiders
32. Texans

Power rankings are worth about as much as mock drafts, but just for fun, let's assume this one is accurate.  So far this season, Bills have (1) beat #1 on the road; (2) lost a heartbreaking game at home to #3 that they should have put away about six times; (3) lost to #4 on the road when half the team keeled over with heat stroke; (4) beat #5 on the road; (5) destroyed #6 at home; (6) lost a tough game to #9 on the road; (7) easily beat #19, #21 and #22; and (8) no games to date against #24 - #32.  Despite all that, we still have games left against #3, #9, #12 (road); and #17 (2).  This may end up being the most brutal schedule in the history of the team.

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Edmunds sucks huh?  Did you happen to notice that while he was playing, the first half that the Bills only gave up miniscule rushing yards? 

I've been saying it since the game ended, Edmunds going out was a major factor. Before that the Vikings scored all of 10 points and had ended the previous few drives going 3 and out plus the one pick by Benford. Soon as Maine went out, bam, Vikings had almost no problem moving the ball. 

It's tough to keep winning consistently when you're constantly having to shuffle your lineup due to injury. A healthy Edmunds, Poyer, and White are gonna make a big difference. 

The way in which they lost is the most infuriating thing. Had many opportunities to put it away and didn't. They were monsters in the second half earlier this year now suddenly the second half is killing them.

They had a slump last year, they're in a bit of one right now. I'm still confident and optimistic they'll get it right. Now here's where someone will probably give me crap for "mOrAL vIcToRieS" or get on some schnittz about how it's their right to be a hyper critical bag of weenies. It sure is. I'd just rather not dwell in it and complain the entire week. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Airseven said:

1. Chiefs
2. Eagles
3. Vikings
4. Dolphins
5. Ravens
6. Titans
7. Cowboys
8. Giants
9. Jets
10. Bills
11. 49ers
12. Bengals
13. Commanders
14. Chargers
15. Seahawks
16. Bucs
17. Patriots
18. Packers
19. Colts
20. Cardinals
21. Steelers
22. Rams
23. Lions
24. Bears
25. Falcons
26. Panthers
27. Broncos
28. Browns
29. Jaguars
30. Saints
31. Raiders
32. Texans

You’re aware that the Bills beat three of the teams in front of them two on the road and another by 30 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.