Question re: hypothetical scenario from Vikings game

Simon

I told my wife, this game will not end in a tie. Bills will go for the win no matter what, they won't take a tie.

And I'm ok with that, unless of course the final play was something like 4th and 15 or so. But if we got it to 4th and 3 or 4, I fully expected them to go for the win.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, Simon said:

If Dorsey/Allen don't get greedy on 2nd down on the final play and instead pick up 7-8 yrds on the next two plays, does McDermott eschew the tie and go for it on 4th and 2 again with 1:00 left in OT?

This is the question…I think the aggressiveness there was predicated on the fact that we have little to no faith in our ability to punch in a td in a goal to go situation.  It’s a shame too because the double post was the ticket there and Davis drew the single coverage and had a step.  Not sure what happened from there though…was it just a horrendous throw or a miscommunication

i think we would’ve gone for it on a 4th and 2 and it’d be a 50/50 shot again

2 hours ago, Simon said:

If Dorsey/Allen don't get greedy on 2nd down on the final play and instead pick up 7-8 yrds on the next two plays, does McDermott eschew the tie and go for it on 4th and 2 again with 1:00 left in OT?

Yes. Mostly because they are morons. They'd cite analytics or something when it didn't work, but it's mostly idiocy. Same reason they didn't take the FG to go up 13. Arrogant stupidity. The best/worst kind.

• Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yes. Mostly because they are morons. They'd cite analytics or something when it didn't work, but it's mostly idiocy. Same reason they didn't take the FG to go up 13. Arrogant stupidity. The best/worst kind.

It’d be moronic to not play for a tie game when Minnesota likely still had time to get in fg range?  Not saying we would’ve gotten the first there but i think it’s pretty easy to make the case to go for it 

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I think they go for the tie with the division standings being the way they are.

If there was less time and it was a 4th and medium/long maybe id kick the fg…in the situation op described though I certainly wouldn’t.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It’d be moronic to not play for a tie game when Minnesota likely still had time to get in fg range?  Not saying we would’ve gotten the first there but i think it’s pretty easy to make the case to go for it 

If there was less time and it was a 4th and medium/long maybe id kick the fg…in the situation op described though I certainly wouldn’t.  

You take the tie because the tie is not a loss. The tie, though disgusting, helps you. If they took the tie they'd still be a half game up on the Jets instead of behind them. If they'd taken the tie they'd still be a half game ahead of Miami in the loss column. Instead they forced the ball into the end zone and got nothing.

18 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

They can’t win with some fans.  If they kick the FG and go up by 13 but the Vikings score 2TDs and win by one, people would say McD is too conservative.  He should’ve gone for it and tried to end the game.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

You take the tie because the tie is not a loss. The tie, though disgusting, helps you. If they took the tie they'd still be a half game up on the Jets instead of behind them. If they'd taken the tie they'd still be a half game ahead of Miami in the loss column. Instead they forced the ball into the end zone and got nothing.

The tie is not a win either. With a win you are a full game ahead of both the Fish and the Jets.

The throw by Allen was bad for sure, but that doesn't change that going for a win is better than a tie. 

21 minutes ago, Lionel Hutz said:

Another hypothetical I was thinking of was the final play of regulation. If we get the ball at the 5 or closer with 5 seconds left do you try and score a TD there and just avoid the risk of OT? Basically the scenario where an extra point ties the game but going for 2 wins the game. 

If it was 6 seconds, I think they'd have taken a shot to Davis or Knox in the back corner.

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

What's the timeout situation in this hypothetical?

I think the Vikes had one left.

We had two and would have likely still had at least one of them.

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

If it was 6 seconds, I think they'd have taken a shot to Davis or Knox in the back corner.

At least one timeout and like a minute of game left? I think they go for it on 4th and 2 there again. And I would have wholeheartedly supported the decision as long as the ball ended up in Allen's hands.

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This is the question…I think the aggressiveness there was predicated on the fact that we have little to no faith in our ability to punch in a td in a goal to go situation.  It’s a shame too because the double post was the ticket there and Davis drew the single coverage and had a step.  Not sure what happened from there though…was it just a horrendous throw or a miscommunication

i think we would’ve gone for it on a 4th and 2 and it’d be a 50/50 shot again

That makes no sense. Singletary did it twice in the first half

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

I agree one more second and they try a fade

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think the design is to hit the trailing McKenzie once Davis has cleared the zone.

The Vikes misplayed it though and it ended up with Gabe unexpectedly coming free.

Allen saw it and almost took it but then double-clutched when he decided to stick with the original intent.

That delay made him a split second late into heavier traffic than was to be expected with the design.

Edit: I'm referring to the 4th/2 in regulation. I have no intention of rewatching that last play that ended with me face down on my living room carpet. :lol:

3 hours ago, Process said:

I am 100% confident that McDermott would have went for the win. Allen would have led two lengthy drives in a row to tie the game and then win it. No way we would have settled for a tie. 

It's truly a shame that he threw that ball. Oh well. 

Yea there was no reason for them to go for it all right there… They we’re doing a pretty good job methodically moving the ball down the field they should have just kept it up 5 10 yards at a time

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.