Week 11 Weather: Winter Storm Watch in place for this weekend, potential for major snowfall

Process

I know this isn't considered Lake Effect snow, but crazy how the Lakes effect our weather. I am an hour east in the Rochester metro, 1 mile south of Lake Ontario and I might have no excuse for not cutting my lawn! It's bright and sunny and our inch or so of snow has melted!

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Was at a party last night with a bunch of snowboarders up here in VT and EVERYONE was like "Heitz, let's go to Buffalo they've got the snooooooow!!!" 🤣

Stay safe and warm out there, everyone that's getting the heavy stuff!! :beer: 

• Like (+1) 2

Lake Effect Snow Warning for Southern Erie County expiring at 1AM tomorrow morning but now another Lake Effect Snow Watch has been issued for 7pm Saturday to 1pm Sunday for an additional 9+ inches. So there actually MIGHT have been snow during the game unlike some were saying...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

I know this isn't considered Lake Effect snow, but crazy how the Lakes effect our weather. I am an hour east in the Rochester metro, 1 mile south of Lake Ontario and I might have no excuse for not cutting my lawn! It's bright and sunny and our inch or so of snow has melted!

Sounds like you are not too far from Webster.

I was living in Webster during the winter of 1998-1999.

On a single day in the winter (don't remember when) we got 24" of snow in 24 hours (in Webster, downtown Rochester, Henrietta, Pittsford, the whole metro area).

At that time, it was the single heaviest dropping of snow for a 24 hour period of time in history--for Rochester.

I live in SE FL.  If it makes everyone feel better, it is a cloudy day down here and a bit cold.  Only about 74 degrees out, and I decided to skip my daily walk at the beach.

We are all dealing with weather in our own ways.

😂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, Big Turk said:

I promise you we will be getting more than that.  "Snowvember" started out as 12-18" forecast and ended with over 7 feet in some places.  A watch issued this early in the week is Bad News Bears and whenever you hear "significant", "long duration event" and "multiple periods of heavy snow"  all being bandied about we are about to be f**ked.  Ironically November has huge potential for big snow events because the lake is relatively warmer and when colder air blows over it, it tends to pick up more moisture.

You were spot on regarding severity from the beginning. 

So will this end up being worse than Snowvember? Or was that more snow just over a longer period of time?

1 hour ago, Process said:

It's coming

The White Wall. I've seen it a few times...it's pretty wild when you go from clear roads and visibility to the "whoosh" of entering it and immediately go to snow covered roads and not able to see hardly at all

On 11/17/2022 at 6:35 PM, boater said:

The Orchard Park forecast per NWS:

Tonight: Total nighttime snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Friday: New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Friday Night: New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Saturday: New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Saturday Night: Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Sunday: Chance of precipitation is 50%.

I don't get the melodrama. I'm not seeing forecasts of four feet of snow. It snows Thursday, you clean it up Friday. Then it snows Friday and you clean it up Saturday. You get half an inch on Saturday and you do clean up work. Each day taken on it's own is a very do-able street cleanup.

Maybe we've grown soft, or maybe this is a media ratings driven crisis that we'll all be laughing about Sunday afternoon while we bemoan loss of our home game to Detroit.

I got roughly 4 feet in my driveway... wanna come do a little clean up work for me tomorrow?

Edited by Scott7975

On 11/17/2022 at 6:35 PM, boater said:

The Orchard Park forecast per NWS:

Tonight: Total nighttime snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Friday: New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Friday Night: New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Saturday: New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Saturday Night: Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Sunday: Chance of precipitation is 50%.

I don't get the melodrama. I'm not seeing forecasts of four feet of snow. It snows Thursday, you clean it up Friday. Then it snows Friday and you clean it up Saturday. You get half an inch on Saturday and you do clean up work. Each day taken on it's own is a very do-able street cleanup.

Maybe we've grown soft, or maybe this is a media ratings driven crisis that we'll all be laughing about Sunday afternoon while we bemoan loss of our home game to Detroit.

There are 66 inches in OP and scheduled to get another 9+ tonight.

Now do you get it?  Lake effect forecasts are subject to change DURING the event. A slight change in wind direction or it staying over an area for longer than expected can lead to wildly different amounts of snow.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Big Turk said:

There are 66 inches in OP and scheduled to get another 9+ tonight.

Now do you get it?  Lake effect forecasts are subject to change DURING the event. A slight change in wind direction or it staying over an area for longer than expected can lead to wildly different amounts of snow.

Up to 77 inches in OP

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.